Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Just got my ESB bill and Jaysus!!!

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

ive never understood why people care so much about an esb bill i mean ye bitch and moan about a phone bill its because either you or a family member/house mate ****ed up and spent to long on the phone.

But don't moan about heating and ESB costs i mean my last house had 3 pcs, 2 tvs, and 4 different meals being cooked on a electric cooker every day, didn't complain about the bill price because i use a PC and i also use a cooker. which would you rather do pay a high price or have no electricity?

Anyway if you wait a while i think there are some competitors coming in to offer cheaper prices

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭event

nesf wrote:
    See, with a young baby in winter you don't get away with that. I don't really feel that cold but you really don't want to be putting a baby down to sleep in a cold room. Extra blankets might be grand for us but it's not that simple when they are very young.

meh

never harmed kids in the past and when i was growing up

when you were a kid growing up, did yiz have central heating?

Saruman wrote:
    Anyone else get theirs yet and have a heart attack?
    I mean i knew it was going up but this seems crazy.
    My last bill was €115, before that €89 and €88 the month before.
    This bi-monthly period... was €179 :eek: I mean come on!!
    lol, 179 would be nice. Ours was often a few hundred. Randomly. When we first moved in a few years ago it was quite low. Then we stopped using a few of our heaters and so on and our bills went up dramatically. We've no idea why.
    We don't use central heating or anything, mostly it's fires for us, so the kitchen is freezing. We unplug almost everything when we go out for the day.

ve never understood why people care so much about an esb bill i mean ye bitch and moan about a phone bill its because either you or a family member/house mate ****ed up and spent to long on the phone.
    No, in our case it was because eircom were charging us premium rate daytime calls when we weren't in the house from 7am-8pm and they wouldn't admit to making a mistake...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

event wrote:
    never harmed kids in the past and when i was growing up

Really? Do you actually believe that?

nesf wrote:
    Really? Do you actually believe that?

yes

i dont believe i, nor my brother, nor my cousins, nor my girlfriend, nor her family, nor a lot of my friends were harmed in our childhood by not having central heating

what harm can it do then?

event wrote:
    yes

i dont believe i, nor my brother, nor my cousins, nor my girlfriend, nor her family, nor a lot of my friends were harmed in our childhood by not having central heating

what harm can it do then?

Ok, to start with I'm thinking of babies and not necessarily children. I'm not saying that central heating is necessary, but that having babies sleeping in a cold room is not something that you want.

A baby sleeping in a cold room is more likely to get sick, this is more serious than say a child getting sick, especially with very young babies. The problem is that if you try to compensate by adding blankets to the cot then it's you run two risks, 1) you overheat the baby by adding too many blankets, this rises the odds of SIDS (cot death) and 2) adding blankets increases the suffocation risk with young babies if the blankets manage to come loose during the night.

It's not that putting a baby into a cold room will cause lasting harm to that baby, it's that it increases the risk of bad things happening. It's pointless to point to yourself, me or whoever and say "it did no harm to us/them", that's just generalising from the specific to the general which isn't a valid argument. Babies can't regulate their body temperature, there are no like older children who can deal much easier with cold rooms or being overly hot.

nesf wrote:
    Ok, to start with I'm thinking of babies and not necessarily children. I'm not saying that central heating is necessary, but that having babies sleeping in a cold room is not something that you want.

A baby sleeping in a cold room is more likely to get sick, this is more serious than say a child getting sick, especially with very young babies. The problem is that if you try to compensate by adding blankets to the cot then it's you run two risks, 1) you overheat the baby by adding too many blankets, this rises the odds of SIDS (cot death) and 2) adding blankets increases the suffocation risk with young babies if the blankets manage to come loose during the night.

It's not that putting a baby into a cold room will cause lasting harm to that baby, it's that it increases the risk of bad things happening. It's pointless to point to yourself, me or whoever and say "it did no harm to us/them", that's just generalising from the specific to the general which isn't a valid argument. Babies can't regulate their body temperature, there are no like older children who can deal much easier with cold rooms or being overly hot.

perhaps

but the point that you can overheat the baby by too many blankets, sure ye can over heat them by having the heating on!

im sorry, but it just seems that these days kids are protected far too much (i understand babys have to be well looked after but i in general was taking about toddlers and above, not new borns or under 1 year olds)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

If you have a ridiculously high bill it's because you are using ridiculous amounts of energy. Simple really.

I wonder what the reaction from people who are complaining about high energy bill will be? I'd like to think that the response would be a positive one: namely a reduction in the consumption of energy, rather then moaning about it ever time a bill come along.

Lets face it, in the long run energy isn't going to get cheaper. It would then seem prudent to manage your consumption a little better.

http://www.powerofone.ie/ - you've all seen the ads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

bluewolf wrote:
    ve never understood why people care so much about an esb bill i mean ye bitch and moan about a phone bill its because either you or a family member/house mate ****ed up and spent to long on the phone.
    No, in our case it was because eircom were charging us premium rate daytime calls when we weren't in the house from 7am-8pm and they wouldn't admit to making a mistake...
    I think one of your housemates was having the occassional day off.

• Advertisement

event wrote:
    but the point that you can overheat the baby by too many blankets, sure ye can over heat them by having the heating on!

It's quite difficult actually. At that temperature you would feel too hot, it's not so simple when you are using blankets where you have to guess. The thing is that you only need the room 'comfortable', it doesn't necessarily have to be warm.
    event wrote:
    im sorry, but it just seems that these days kids are protected far too much (i understand babys have to be well looked after but i in general was taking about toddlers and above, not new borns or under 1 year olds)

I agree with you, that's why I said a young baby when responding to julep originally...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Pfft, when I was a babbeh we had no cribs - we slept in the freezer compartment and loved it too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 273 ✭✭Elphaba

Saruman wrote:
    I know the oil heater does yes. The Ceramic panel heater, like i said is supposed to be very cheap. 1p/hour according to argos catalog for panel heaters.

Anyone know exactly what these heater are called in Argos? Tryin to have a look on the website here and can't find them

Advertisement