Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extension planning permission question

Options
  • 02-02-2007 9:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭

I bought a cottage in Westmeath and I was just wondering if I need planning permission to build an extension since it was built about 60 years ago.

I do know about the 40 square meter but I was thinking a little bigger.

Any help appriciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,127 ✭✭✭✭muffler

If you are aware of the 40 sq. meters exemption you are surely aware that you will need planning permission as you intend to build bigger than this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Branners

muffler wrote:
    If you are aware of the 40 sq. meters exemption you are surely aware that you will need planning permission as you intend to build bigger than this

Aii

Is their any previous extensions on the cottage?
    Beacause you've to add that area in also

• Registered Users Posts: 39,376 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

As highlighted you will need PP. Extensions like this can get quite tricky, the CoCo won't want a tacky stuck on extension. It will need to compliment the orignal structure. But that said you will have far better chances to recieving PP if you extend rather than 'doze and new build.

How big is the cottage currently? And no far above 40sq.m are you planning?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭ciasto

First of all thanks for all the posts.

The cottage is about 50 sq meters wich is not that big, and I have a good bit of land around it. But the reason I'm asking is cause when I was buying the place my sollicitor asked was the house build before or after the planning permission laws were introduced. Thats why I wondered what difference this would make.

I asked him what would be the difference but he never answered it.

Now I'm thinking about it hence the question off pp.

40 sq meters would be nice but say to build another 20 sq meters in cost would not be that much more.

And no there is no other extensions.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,376 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

well from the description you gave you are going to have to apply for PP.
    Best of luck with it. 60sq.m seams reasonable

• Advertisement
Advertisement