Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forum name change? (previously "no more excuses")

Options
  • 02-02-2007 9:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

This forum needs to have "Transgendered" added in.

Honestly, this must be one of the last LGB and not T forums left on the internet. Reflect's very badly on Ireland as a whole.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,978 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Yess wrote:
    Reflect's very badly on Ireland as a whole.

'Tis true. I'm ashamed to say I'm Irish when I go abroad on account of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

"Dear Mary McAleese, Mary Robinson, Mary Kennedy and Mary Fitzgerald,

Please, please, please sort this out. Our lack of a T is a national disgrace. I feel ashamed. Right now I'm burning my passport, smashing my wee Daniel CD's and planning on sabotaging the next performance of Riverdance in Spokane WA, USA.

It is quite possible most people don't give two flying figs about this issue, but they are all discriminating pigs! You know I'm right Mary(s). Help a brother/sister out!

Yours totally outragedly disgustedly disgusted,
    BuffyBot"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Chillwithcian

Yesss wrote:
    This forum needs to have "Transgendered" added in.

Honestly, this must be one of the last LGB and not T forums left on the internet. Reflect's very badly on Ireland as a whole.

I agree, but i dont think boards.ie has enough transgendered users for it to happen :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

I've always been a little confused about this - what has T got to do with L,G and B?

I agree, but i dont think boards.ie has enough transgendered users for it to happen :(

From the charter:
    This board relates to LGBTQ (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgendered, Questioning) issues.

The forum is already an LGBT forum in all but name. It's up to the admins, not the moderators whether a name change happens or not. The forum has already had several name changes for pretty banal reasons: "Why do the gays get to have their letter first? Why is it issues, we don't have issues, are you suggesting we have issues? Wtf does LGB mean?" till it settled on "Lesbian & Gay & Bisexual". I don't want to hassle the admins for another name change. OP is free to post his/her request in the Forums forum if he/she wishes: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=461

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

The OP might have worded badly his request but I can see where he's coming from, so I have put in a request to the admins

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055049842

I agree, but i dont think boards.ie has enough transgendered users for it to happen

I think there are actually quite a few - some that don't come regularly into the LGB boards

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

We offer no excuses. We merely poke fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Yesss wrote:
    Reflect's very badly on Ireland as a whole.
    You are taking the piss right?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭Vexorg

Im sure the OP was not serious with his/her comment
    Reflect's very badly on Ireland as a whole

Can the title of a forum on boards.ie can be a reflection on Ireland as a Society, I personally do not think so.

Stark, if you think that a forum title change could work, I have no problem amending it , other than it being overly long for the dynamic menu - Lesbian & Gay & Bisexual & Transgender."

Let me know?

V.

PS Have there been excuses made in the past about not changing the forum title?

I demand Questioning be added to the title, it reflects very badly on europe as whole not having it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

I thought that the "Q" stood for Queer?

It does, but in the context of the charter it stands for Questioning. Queer would be redundant.

Vexorg wrote:
    Stark, if you think that a forum title change could work, I have no problem amending it , other than it being overly long for the dynamic menu - Lesbian & Gay & Bisexual & Transgender."

We could rename it to LGBT but people might mistake it for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Trainspotters: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=52729649&postcount=29 ;)

There are other forums with names that wrap around so I guess the length wouldn't be too much of a problem. Though I agree with Boston that Questioning would be good to have in the title and if we put that in, the name's really getting too long.

I'll leave the thread open to see if someone comes up with a snappy title that works.

I think you need to get two message accross,
    1) It's an LGBT forum for LGBT issues
    2) That Curious/Questioning people/Threads are welcome.

Gay & Questioning.
    LGBT & Curious.
    Queer (though that is a very emotive word to use).

tbh I'd go with the attitude that more is less when it comes to titles, and that if you add things to the title there should be for a reason, rather then jsut for the shake of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭Hmm_Messiah

I don't understand what transgendered has to do with LGB-as far as I can see what the three share the fourth does't at a fundamental level.

Could you not just call it "Sexual Orientation 101"

I don't see how any one with a broad interest in the related issues/topics etc would not see the forum and think " ah thats the right place for that" whether its "I have a question" or indeed " I think I'm a female though I was born a guy"

I don't understand the argument for changing the name: is it people who feel some might not find the forum and the resource it can be? Or just some people feeling left out , unknowledged etc?

Its equally as likely some one, say a curious/confused teen ( or mid-30s guy ..or..whoever) might see the forum name and go " transexuals !! yikes thats not the forum for me "

I've not seen an absence of straight people posting .

Strange the things that concern people .

And surely the OP is having a laugh ? They couldn't honestly feel it reflects badly on Ireland as a whole.

maybe a sticky explaining the difference between sexuality, and sexual role, behaviour, gender and identity.

Or maybe just call it the "Drama Forum"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

It could also be argued that gender disorder is not related to sexual gender preference and that a 'T' section would be better off under physc there here.
    Yes there are cases were it is that a person has gender disorder and is also attracted to people who would be of the same gender they aspire to but that is an addition and not inherantly part of the gender disorder issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I don't understand what transgendered has to do with LGB-as far as I can see what the three share the fourth does't at a fundamental level.

At a fundamental level T is separate in that it concerns gender not sexuality.

However T is generally included for lots of reasons - historically people who differed from gender norms found that the LGB community accepted them much more.

There is also the fact that as I have pointed out T people often face the same issues/social problems of LGB people

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Johnnymcg wrote:
    There is also the fact that as I have pointed out T people often face the same issues/social problems of LGB people

So do hetrosexuals, why not add straight?

Pagans have had some of the same problems, hence the term coming out of the broom closet but that is not grounds enough to push for an inculsion of pagans or other alternate life styles.

Should the forum be name alternate sexuality or everything other then christain hetrosexual couples ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Thaedydal wrote:
    alternate sexuality
    Yeah, how about that?

"Alternate Sexuality (LGBT)"

I think "Lesbian & Gay & Bisexual & Transgender" is just too long.

• Advertisement

Yes but alternate sexualtiy can cover anything on the below chart.

map06sm.jpg

In my mind, having posted here for years, this forum is mainly about people who are Questioning their sexuality and looking for help/ advice. It has a serious tone which reflects that. As such I think that, above all else, should be stressed in the title.

Also alternative sexualities. So is this a forum for topics relating to bondage ? S&M?, Furries ... ect?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

That's why I included the "(LGBT)" bit at the end ;)

Really can't please everyone, I guess. How about just simply "Gay", or "Gay, etc."

Bah.. I dunno. Just leave it as it is maybe. Ban the wingers.

Thaedydal wrote:
    Yes but alternate sexualtiy can cover anything on the below chart.

I want that blown up and hung on my bedroom wall.

:) happy to share.

Goodshape wrote:
    Bah.. I dunno. Just leave it as it is maybe. Ban the wingers.

I can't, they posted as unregistered :)

I'd prefer to leave the forum name as it is personally.

Stark wrote:
    I want that blown up and hung on my bedroom wall.

Exactly what I thought

• Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭Vexorg

Stark wrote:
    I'd prefer to leave the forum name as it is personally.

We have a decision on the forum name - Great!

I will change it to "as it is personally" should I add the Abbreviation (AIIP) to the end of the forum name?

I wonder what a limited run would cost to get printed up.

• Advertisement

There's a print facility on the site but the picture would need to be about 5 times it's current resolution to come out looking right.

Advertisement