Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forum name change? (previously "no more excuses")

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Vexorg wrote:
    We have a decision on the forum name - Great!

I will change it to "as it is personally" should I add the Abbreviation (AIIP) to the end of the forum name?
    Objection! What's so 'personal' about it?! eh?!

How about "As It Is For Everyone, Including (But Not Exclusive To) Gays, Lesbians, Bisexuals, Transgendered, And Anyone Else Who Might Be A Bit Unsure As To What Catagory (If Any) They Fit".

Or "AIIFEI(BNET)GLBTAAEWMBABUATWC(IA)TF" for short.

Sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I still think Mary Fitzgerald has the answer. I bet she could solve this with 3 pipe cleaners and an egg box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Oooh, make it a competition!

"Send your ideas on the back of a postcard to....."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

How about Queers without Steers, to steal a line from full metal jacket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭Shellie13

i guess it comes back to how myuch you feel that gender and sexual preferance are linked...
    dont think the "T" is that closelty related to the other three...
    but sure reflecting badly on ireland?!
    Does boards.ie really have a responsiblility to the resyt of the country?!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭Filan

Personally feel that there is quite a substantial difference even though popular culture usually confuses them...feminine men are perceived as gay...masculine women are perceived as potential men... I suppose the common ground is that both seek to -trans-cend traditional gender boundaries... so a considerable number of common prejudices are faced. My fallible opinion is that it would probably be easier to be gay than trans as trans are so few in numbers. Ideally there should be a separate Transgender strand...but would there be sufficent numbers?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭Hmm_Messiah

I suppose the common ground is that both seek to -trans-cend traditional gender boundaries...

I'm not too sure what exactly you were saying here, but if the question is a link between T and LGB - then nope- gender boundaries is not somethign they have in common. Being gay has nothing to do with gender boundaries

what I mean is that they seek to -trans-cend or change conventional gender -roles-...however that is in itself an admittedly tenuous link

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 trawingtroll

I have to agree this would be the best name:

How about "As It Is For Everyone, Including (But Not Exclusive To) Gays, Lesbians, Bisexuals, Transgendered, And Anyone Else Who Might Be A Bit Unsure As To What Catagory (If Any) They Fit".

Or "AIIFEI(BNET)GLBTAAEWMBABUATWC(IA)TF" for short

Or perhaps the alfbat socity....

You guys should try an' open a bank account with Gays, Lesbians, Bisexuals, Transgendered, Queer, now thats fun....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭swiss

Another vote for AIIP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Did the admins make a decision on the name change yet?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

ages ago. Stark said he liked it as is, and that was it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭Vexorg

No decision really, there did not seem to be any real need to change the forum title, my reading of the contributions to this discussion so far seem to be leave it as is.

Perhaps a discussion on the Lesbian & Gay & Bisexual forum might get a better response. The admins have no issue with adding Transgender, (and not because it a poor reflection on this country - I believe there are far more pressing issues that are a poor reflection of this country than a Forum name), if it serves a purpose.

I just dont think that this discussion has shown a reason/need for a change.

V.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Being the one who helped get this forum created and the one who had it renamed from GLB Issues to the current name, I'd support having the T added to it somewhere, but in practical terms, the name would just get too long and using initials only wouldn't be a good idea either.

Why not let the name stand but have the first sticky in the forum give the full name?
    Or have it as "Lesbian & Gay & Bisexual ..." in the title?

I don't think gender issues are a natural fit with sexuality issues but over the past few decades LGB and T have been brothers in arms for various reasons.

The other option is to create a forum for Transgender/T/Gender issues

Still, at the end of the day, there is a welcoming place on Boards.ie to discuss T issues and that's more important than anything else but I do understand the desire to have this alluded to in the forum name.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I'd be in favour of Squiggle. Where Squiggle can be interpreted to mean whatever is appropriate. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

I support adding Transgendered. There's no really sensible reason why there should be such an association between matters of sexual orientation and matters of gender identification, but for historical reasons there is, and this is reflected in the actual content of this forum.

This is not to in anyway to condone the OPs nonsense about how it reflect upon the country or their accusations of "excuses".

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

How about the "Not Straight" forum?

"In some way Queer"? I think Queer can refer to Gender or Sexual Orientation!

Advertisement