Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World's noisiest fan!!

Options
  • 02-02-2007 10:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭

I have a pentium D 805 dual core 2.66 with a stock intel fan and heatsink on it.. the fan is incredibly loud, like a hoover, but I used Sandra and the CPU temp is only around 43c.

So my question is, can I just buy a Super quiet fan that will fit on the intel heatsink (socket 775)? without actually having to fiddle and take the heatsink off? I just want to replace the fan with a much quieter version?

Is this possible.. and if so.. does anyone have any suggestions for a good fan?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

My tower, i built it back in 2002 or so.... anyway apart from the fact it has about 7 fans in total... I think its the PSU in particular has a VERY loud fan. Its just how it sounds. Im used to it. However yes you can just buy a quiet one..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Whateve ryou do you will need to replace the current cooler.

So you have two options.

Silent = http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=320131

Near silent = http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=306456

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

Damn so I can't just leave the cooller on there and replace the fan?

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Hendrix89

Having a Tuniq Tower with a broken fan controller is damn noisey :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Jonny7 wrote:
    Damn so I can't just leave the cooller on there and replace the fan?
    Well the whole point is to provide the same (or better) heat dissipation while running more quietly... generally the way they achieve this lower noise level is to run the fan at a lower rotational speed... so to keep up sufficient airflow and cooling at lower RPM, they use a larger diameter fan coupled with a larger heatsink with more surface area and made of more heat conductive material.

You can of course apply the same idea to your current heatsink/fan and just lower the speed of the fan, but you'll be running a bit hotter... which may not be a big deal depending on the amount gained and the tolerance of your processor.
    Personally I find lowering the fan rpm say down from 100% to 90% makes a huge difference to my noise levels, and my temps only take a small hit... so it's definitely something to try out before you go spending money on big coolers.

I'd recommend checking out a program called SpeedFan... it'll allow you to monitor your temps and (if it supports your equipment and nothing else is overriding it in the bios) allow you to control your fan RPM.

Failing that, you can pick up a 'fanmate' and control the fans RPM physically with a little knob (I'm sure there's a dick-joke in there somewhere), it connects between the fan and the motherboard and has a variable resistor... google-image-search it and you'll get the idea.
    Obviously you'll still want something to monitor your temperatures until you're comfortable with the 'full load' temperatures versus fan speed/noise trade-off.

So anyway, I'd give those a go... a cheap and hassle-free way to downgrade from the 'jet engine' noise category at least.
    I always buy after-market coolers, and run them at low rpm.

It wrecks my tits completely though, these manufacturers are either stone deaf or dumping noisy crap on us because they can get away with it.
    Thank God for Zalman and companies like them... I'd be driven nuts without them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Jonny7 wrote:
    I have a pentium D 805 dual core 2.66 with a stock intel fan and heatsink on it.. the fan is incredibly loud, like a hoover, but I used Sandra and the CPU temp is only around 43c.

Can you post a pic of the inside of your case? There might be a way of positioning a 12cm fan over the heatsink which will run quieter and push the same cfm.

Although I would recommend going down the road of replacing the heatsink altogether. Get one that has a fan control so you can turn it down while just on the internet browsing, then turn it up if you play games or are encoding a dvd or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

Hey
    I just got speedfan.. and I dropped it to about 90% fanspeed (still pretty loud though).. and here's my readings..

System : 37c
    CPU : 39c
    AUX : 49c
    Local Temp : 57c
    Remote Temp : 85c
    HD0 : 40c

whats the remote temp?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

Youd never know, it might be nothing at all. Speedfan often doesn't really know what it's reading, and it might not even be a temperature.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,354 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

My core will shutdown when it hits 80; I've learned through playing Doom3 on my old 64mb card :D

Let me ask you; Is this a Dell? I've noticed some Dell rigs that the fan will dramatically rev-up periodically: is that the case in yours, Jonny?

I suppose I wouldve reccomended let SpeedFan run it at a constant, low rate; I've noted those Dell rigs can sound *exactly* as your describing (hoovers) when they do a burst cooldown.

To find out how low you want to run it, I'd want to go find out its threshold temperature, and run it about 25-35 below that...but thats just me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,760 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

You can pick up a nice (very quiet) Zalman for €22 ........... http://www.pc-look.com/boutik/Prod_Zalman-CPU-Heatsink-Fan-Kit-CNPS7000B-AlCu__1441_en.html

That would do the job nicely. Just make sure it is your CPU fan and not say the PSU like Saruman mentioned (in a round about way ;) ).

• Advertisement
Advertisement