Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weapons storage

Options
  • 02-02-2007 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭

Hi there,
    I have some questions regarding weapons storage.
    1. Is it possible to optain a firearms cert to keep a weapon at a rented apartment?
    2. Without revealing your own arrangements, is it necessary to have the safe affixed securely?

My guess is the landlord would not be happy having weapons about, or the associated mods if necessary, so probably a non runner, but am curious nonetheless.

Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

some clubs allow weapons to be stored on their premises maybe worth a look another option is if you hunt someone you know and trust going for a joint licence on a gun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jaycee

I don't have any weapons ...just sporting firearms

:rolleyes: :eek: que heated debate sparks and CG feel free to jump in

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭demonloop

jaycee wrote:
    I don't have any weapons ...just sporting firearms
    Just about to say that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭fathersymes

Interesting to note that until well into the 20th Century, "Sports", "Sporting" etc. meant Shooting and not Ball games.

As regards keeping "Sporting Guns" in rented accomodation, my local Gardai assumed for some reason as I live in central Dublin that I was renting(I am an owner).

This however caused no problem(he thinks I'm a tenant) with the granting of my most recent firearms application, security was the only issue they were concerned with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hey,
    Along the lines of security what are the stipulations for a gun safe? Am thinking of buying a pistol (HK USP). Also are there any clubs in the Portlaoise area? New to the area and would like to get involved.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

i think it would be hard to get a hsp as a first gun they would prob look for safe and monitered alarm membership of uthorised gun club...

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Got the monitered alarm, how good does the safe have to be?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Cabinet should conform at a miniumum to BS 7558: 1992.

Most people who shoot pistols who live near Portlaoise shoot at the Midlands range.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

Hmm, it seems to be possible to have the wea.. eh sporting gun stored in rented accomadation. Probably wouldn't help with the application though.
    One of the previous posts mentioned using the club facilities, but club where I usually go doesn't have it yet.
    For me it makes little practical difference, other than I could be waiting a long time on the club to provide facilities.
    I see BS7558 mentioned frequently. having done a quick search I see there is also a new european standard mentioned: EN 14-450,and EN 1143-1 . (at least on manufacturer blurb)
    I'm still unclear as regards what is required regarding affixing and or hiding the safe, is that covered under the criminal act? I have looked again and it doesn't go into specifics, unless I missed something.

Thanks for any advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

There's nothing specific in the Act TD, in fact it doesn't even mention safes, just "secure storage". There will be guidelines drawn up by the commissioner which will no doubt cover the specifics, but up to this point, it's been dependant on the decision of your local superintendent.

Just get a good strong safe that conforms to the standards it has to be mounted to a outside or load bearing wall as in not to a studded wall and just keep it out of the way where it cant be accessed to easily or seen.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

maglite wrote:
    i think it would be hard to get a hsp as a first gun they would prob look for safe and monitered alarm membership of uthorised gun club...

No harder then any other pistol TBH. They will pretty much require the above no matter what.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Rew wrote:
    No harder then any other pistol TBH. They will pretty much require the above no matter what.
    Well. Unless it's an air pistol :D

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭sidneyreilly

It wont matter from the point of view of licensing whether you store your pistol at a club, dealer etc.. You will still be required to have safe storage at your home. The cert allows for posssesion so you must under the new rules have somewhere to keep it even if you did leave it at a club or dealer. The way they see it is that you "can" take it home if you want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

It wont matter from the point of view of licensing whether you store your pistol at a club, dealer etc.. You will still be required to have safe storage at your home. The cert allows for posssesion so you must under the new rules have somewhere to keep it even if you did leave it at a club or dealer. The way they see it is that you "can" take it home if you want to.
    :eek: Wow, are you sure? That's a bit OTT. I thought if we could be trusted to regulate ourselves transporting the firearm, then similarly we could be trusted in leaving it at the designated storage point. I guess it negates any responsibility of the dealer / club as to where the gun is. This kinda scuppers my plans. There are people in shanty towns with stronger walls than what I have here. Most "walls" are either wooden or Tin cladding type things over wooden frame. Sh!thole. It is warm though....
    After banging on the walls for a while (the neighbours like it, I can tell!) I found I do have a stretch of brick or something in the bedroom, it might be ok there..
    Thanks for advice so far guys, it's great to get some understanding about this...

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭sidneyreilly

:eek: Wow, are you sure? That's a bit OTT. I thought if we could be trusted to regulate ourselves transporting the firearm, then similarly we could be trusted in leaving it at the designated storage point. I guess it negates any responsibility of the dealer / club as to where the gun is. This kinda scuppers my plans. There are people in shanty towns with stronger walls than what I have here. Most "walls" are either wooden or Tin cladding type things over wooden frame. Sh!thole. It is warm though....
    After banging on the walls for a while (the neighbours like it, I can tell!) I found I do have a stretch of brick or something in the bedroom, it might be ok there..
    Thanks for advice so far guys, it's great to get some understanding about this...

Is there a concrete floor?

Advertisement