Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is this false advertising?

• 02-02-2007 10:32pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,037 CMod ✭✭✭✭

How come daft Dave is having his half price sale 'ending sunday' for the last year or so non-stop? Surely thats misleading advertising?
    How can there be a sale price on turkish trabertine (whatever that is) if its been €29.99 a square yard for as long as I can remember?

Same with Land of Leather - they have a sale ending every sunday as well!

Apart from being highly annoying, are they even legal?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

Maybe the turkish trabertine (whatever that is!) isn't the item on sale? Was it advertised as such?

Who is daft Dave? Maybe he just doesn't understand marketing law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭dcarroll

i hate daft dave

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Pighead hates Daft Dave too. In fact I hate anybody whos first initial is D.
    Fair enough that may cause hurt and pain to 50% of this thread but I'm an honest lad and this is an honest website and i think its best if I say what I feel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Down with daft dave! If it's a different item each time then it's fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

shops always do that,theres a shop in the square on the second floor beside the reception thats been having a closing down sale the last 3 years!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement

I believe that's false advertising .. unless of course it's changed ownership a lot ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

shops always do that,theres a shop in the square on the second floor beside the reception thats been having a closing down sale the last 3 years!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Maybe they just have an awful lot of stock to get rid of. ;)

Maybe they just have an awful lot of stock to get rid of. ;)
    lol :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭alleepally

Like or love Daft Dave, the ads are very smart marketing and I'd say if 100 people were surveyed (a la 'Family Fortunes') and asked to name a Tile Company in Ireland, Right Price tiles would be at the top of the list. Sure even Gift Grub have him on their sketches from time to time as well. Money can't buy that kind of exposure.

Oh, and be confused no more about Turkish Travertine..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Travertine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Daft Dave is great!! Actually i think this is the same sale that started before Christmas... seems longer i know but its not that long.

If you listen to Today FM's gift grub you would know more about Daft Dave... they stick him in a lot of the sketches these days... actually come to think of it... he was in the one for the Ryder cup too and that was September.... he has obviously been going on about his half price sale for longer than i thought....
    Oh and Turkish Travertine is: http://www.codeimpex.com/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭me and the biz

Those shops just off henry st. in Dublin have been having a closing down sale for the past few years too. Although I think one of them eventually did close down, the jewelers across from em have had a half price sale for as long as I can remember too... :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

deswalsh wrote:
    How can there be a sale price on turkish trabertine (whatever that is) if its been €29.99 a square yard for as long as I can remember?
    Tiles, and completly crappy tiles at that.
    Do not buy turkish tiles. they are dirt and will generally break if you so much a look at them. stick to the Italian and Spanish tiles that are the most commonly available in this country.

Dustin the turkey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Alter-Ego

alleepally wrote:
    Like or love Daft Dave, the ads are very smart marketing and I'd say if 100 people were surveyed (a la 'Family Fortunes') and asked to name a Tile Company in Ireland, Right Price tiles would be at the top of the list. Sure even Gift Grub have him on their sketches from time to time as well. Money can't buy that kind of exposure.

Oh, and be confused no more about Turkish Travertine..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Travertine
    TBH i didn't even know what shop he was advertising.

Now if they changed the name to "Daft Daves Tiles", then they'd be onto a winner.

Daft Dave FTW :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

does he have a monkey?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Alter-Ego

The monkey likes nuts, but he's not in uniform, bad monkey!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,513 ✭✭✭RoadSweeper

Maybe its the name of the shop, like that one just off Hendry street. Think its liffy st!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

I heard one Radio 1 tonight that this daft Dave fellow is extending the sale (I presume it would be the same outlet?)

It truly is a giveaway bonanza, this guy is too generous for his own good!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

InFront wrote:
    I heard one Radio 1 tonight that this daft Dave fellow is extending the sale (I presume it would be the same outlet?)

It truly is a giveaway bonanza, this guy is too generous for his own good!
    Not a very smart monkey then well so?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

I prefer Austrian Daft Dave.
    Anyone who listened to gift grub this past week will know what I'm talking about :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

It is not false advertising really, unlike a wonder bra dn those who wear them.

http://www.anenglishmanscastle.com/images/Wonderbra%2520ad.jpg

• Advertisement

I just crashed my PC while looking at that picture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Maybe its the name of the shop, like that one just off Hendry street. Think its liffy st!!
    Yeah. They sold stuff at dead cheap prices. Some of the stuff didn't look half bad, either.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,037 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

I dont get the reference there, but I just love how a discussion can go from ads to monkeys to shops in Liffey street to gift grub to wonderbras in a short period of time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

It can be said of women who wear wonderbras that it is false adverising.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Does it exactly what it impies. You open the bra and wonder where the boobs went. Mmmm.. Boobies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,175 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

There are strict laws about what you can call a sale. It must have been a certain price for a certain time before the so called sale etc.,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Do terms and conditions apply?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Pighead wrote:
    Pighead hates Daft Dave too. In fact I hate anybody whos first initial is D.
    Fair enough that may cause hurt and pain to 50% of this thread but I'm an honest lad and this is an honest website and i think its best if I say what I feel.

Very well,Pighead.You've just made yourself a terrible enemy this day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Add "carpet Right" to that list of companies to never ending sales :rolleyes: Check 'em out, they have a 60% off sale for as long as they have been open, the loophole they use in consumer law is though that they change the stock they have on "sale" each week. That doesn't apply to our spitting friend Daft Dave who has tripped himself up by constantly advertising his Turkish junk for the last few months, me think the script writing monkeys fúcked up there ;)

Consumer affairs wont do anything till someone complains...

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 538 ✭✭✭~Leanne~

I would never buy anything out of there again. Tiled my bathroom & kitchen before xmas, had 1 box of each left over so i brought them back.
    They refused to give me credit for them as the "new stock" they got in was a different shade???
    I had my receipt and was within the 30 days yet imn stuck with 2 perfectly good boxes of tiles unopened cause they are a "different shade"!

put them in the shed. you never know when you will need them.
    changing sockets, burst pipe, moving presses etc. then you'll be bitching about the fact that you can't get matching tiles. they don't make them forever. each tile has about a 5 year prodution span. then they are discontinued.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

it irks me that land of leather, reid furniture etc. have €699 OFF or something crazy in jumbo red letters, yet when you look closely it states the price will rise by €699 on 16 june 2201 IF the items remain unsold...im not sure if that qualifies as false advertising but it is slightly misleading.

also have to agree as annoying as daft dave is, i would have to really think to remember what shop he is advertising.....which is not the case for "harvey norman will not be beaten on......"

Advertisement