Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Posts marked as read

Options
  • 02-02-2007 11:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭

Not a great thread title for what I want to discuss, but it'll do.

On another board I go to, if you don't read a thread it will stay bolded (i.e. unread) so that if I log in just to check my PMs, the threads themselves will remain unread for my next visit, and generally remain unread for a week or two no matter how much time I spend on the board.

On boards, if I log in just to check my PMs, the threads themselves will count as being read the next time I log in. If I log in and spend 5-10 mins in the AH forum, the threads in other forums will show as being read.

I don't know if anybody else finds this annoying, but I like to see the threads with new posts. It comes in especially handy when you've read a 3 page thread and then the next day, it's gotten 3 pages of posts. It's handy to know where you left off reading. But if you don't check that thread immediately when you log on, it'll revert to being read already.

The board I've seen this used is an Invision board, so I don't know if the feature is available even in vBulletin. If it is, would it be possible to implement here?

EDIT: A "view new posts" tool would do the trick, but the one right now only seems to show new threads.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

there used to be a view new posts on boards.

It sounds like a good idea but myself when i am in work go to AH and then sometimes id have to close down if my boss asks me to do something, when i go to AH later i just look for threads with titles that interest me and if i am not sure if u have posted or not i use Ctrl-F in firefox type in my name and click find.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

It sounds like a good idea but myself when i am in work go to AH and then sometimes id have to close down if my boss asks me to do something, when i go to AH later i just look for threads with titles that interest me and if i am not sure if u have posted or not i use Ctrl-F in firefox type in my name and click find.

Would you not just subscribe to the threads you are interested in, so at least they appear on this page for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

i keep active interesting threads in my gmail account you see when i post in something over the weekend on monday morning i would e-mail it myself and then leaving work each day i e-mail interesting threads to myself

Advertisement