Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are there any words you can't stand?

• 02-02-2007 11:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

As in words people use, either everyday or on the internet, that just make you grind your teeth? For me its "facetious" or "legend/legendary". Half because I associate them both with a very annonying person that I'd rather not have to talk to at this stage ( :rolleyes: ) And because they are overused. Also, who the fuck decided legend was slang? I hear it on the tv all the time, Australian soaps, Irish, whatever.

So anyone else feel something similar for a word or words?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭LundiMardi

'Bird' - as in ''I was with me bird''
    'lol' - as in ''LOL!''

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

Random. Stop saying it as an answer to everything.

The other day
    Me: No Luas for another 12 minutes
    Friend: That's random
    Me: :confused:

(I may have been in a bad mood, but still)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

My cousin and his family moved to Australia about 5 years ago. They stayed a year. When they came back, the eldest so used the word "legend" quite regularly. No idea how it caught on here. I don't use it myself in that context.

No word annoy me really, but I can't stand people who use "air quotes". that has always pissed me off and just reeks of pretentiousness.

InFront wrote:
    Random. Stop saying it as an answer to everything.

The other day
    Me: No Luas for another 12 minutes
    Friend: That's random
    Me: :confused:

(I may have been in a bad mood, but still)
    that is really ****ing ridiculous.
    upon reflection, buzz words sometimes piss me off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭MontgomeryClift

Disingenuous.

Absolutely.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

I just realised how hard it is going to be to read this thread and look at all these terrible words that annoy people! Infront you are definitely right about the word random, its awful when used in the wrong context.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Abso-****ing-lutly, methodology (anyone who uses this word is an ignorant fool)

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Following what julep said, annoying friend of mine uses "quote end quote" too often instead of the air quotes. Words that are made up like "bling", load of sheet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I dislike the word 'tetchy'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Dislike the words: not, tonight, i've, a, headache

.. in that order!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭eamoss

People saying "town" as in Dublin when they are outside Dublin OR what really gets me is people who dont even live/from Dublin saying it!

Like In college(Maynooth)
    Friend: Where did you go?
    Me: town!
    Friend: How did u get back so fast?
    Me:*thinking for a sec* Oh no I ment town as in Maynooth town

:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Pigheads hates the word "underpants". Pighead just can't get my head around using it in conversation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

Rosemantic. Urrrrrrrrrgggggggghhhhh.. I really, really detest this word.

I used to despise 'ratarsed' but I've become immune to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Schlemm

Banter and other banter-linked derivatives, especially when said in a D4 accent.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,353 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

When someone uses a lot of text-speak on boards.
    U 4 GWB like OP? IMHO he s**ks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

what really grinds my gears is "guesstimate"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭iFight

Genius, Legend, Random, stall it

Legend is probably the worst of the lot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Not words.. there is a phrase i hate though. Politicians etc use it all the time and i hate it. "The reality is...."
    Its just overused. I thought it was just us but an American used it on the radio recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

I hate the term "Chill Out" or any word that involves the word 'Chill" in the non-cold term. "Chillax" is another one that gets under my skin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭DEmeant0r

I hate the word 'like', americans say it a lot, every couple of sentences, maybe, it really really annoys me :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,575 ✭✭✭junkyard

Tax and VAT are the two that do it for me tbh.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Senritsu wrote:
    I hate the word 'like', americans say it a lot, every couple of sentences, maybe, it really really annoys me :(

It's mainly Californians that say 'like' in every sentence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

i hate "man" as it "you alrite man",ah [ur nanme] man..just ahhhh h8 it...

Max_Damage wrote:
    I hate the term "Chill Out" or any word that involves the word 'Chill" in the non-cold term. "Chillax" is another one that gets under my skin.
    I used that as a joke after hearing it on south park, but then people began using it seriously and that made me stop using it.

Senritsu wrote:

I do that a lot (I'm sorry!) its just a noise people use in between words, when they are thinking of what to say next (in my experience).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 446 ✭✭duckmusic

Random :mad: :mad: :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

People who use unnecessary apostrophe's, Heye's and CSG, I'm looking at you.

Of course there is NWK and his Unnecessary Capitalisations, but Nobody gives a monkey's About him Anyway.

Sorry OP, I know you were looking for words, but I couldn't resist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

"What-ya-ma-call-it"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Senritsu wrote:

I was just thinking of this! I hate it in this context:

"How come you're home early?"

"We got off at, like, 12.30."

Drives me, like, nuts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Random is the only one I can think of

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Revert when people use it in emails instead of the word reply.

To me revert means I'll restore the last backup over your current email so it will have reverted to the state it was in yesterday, and you'll have lost a days work, but learnt a valuable lesson in the usage of he English language.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Senritsu wrote:
    I know of someone who went trough a phase of "like". His mates used to count the number in a sentence, he hit 17 at one stag !

"like you know like, like..."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

Revert when people use it in emails instead of the word reply.

To me revert means I'll restore the last backup over your current email so it will have reverted to the state it was in yesterday, and you'll have lost a days work, but learnt a valuable lesson in the usage of he English language.

I saw an awful lot of "revert" over the summer in emails. AAAAAHHHHHH. Want to beat these morons over the head with some kind of english lesson formed of stone. Maybe I should carve it on a big rock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 kead1987

Random, deffinately the most annoying word.

Legend, or as my pisshead friends have begun to call it, Ledge.

Session, as in drinking session. 'Oh we're gonna have some session tonight'

And the variations of drunk, such as langered, flutered, and most of all, locked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

chav

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

"tbh"
    When someone uses it after almost ever sentence. And if they don't use it am I meant to believe they are not being honest?

"I seen"
    I know my grammar isn't the best but that really is awful. Why is it mostly people from Dublin that say it?

OK, I know my list was more phrases then words but still annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 kead1987

Chav: The word, I dont mind. The definition, I absolutely f*cking detest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Phrases used that sound ridiculous coming from that particular person. For example the D4 looking cunt in the fanta advert that says "it's a boring auld day".

Just gonna edit this post instead of posting pages later. I know he's not a Dub and I too have seen him in UCD, maybe he's nice in person but in that ad' he makes me grind me teeth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

I know that guy, he's actually from Leitrim:D
    Goes to UCD though

humbert wrote:
    Phrases used that sound ridiculous coming from that particular person. For example the D4 looking cunt in the fanta advert that says "it's a boring auld day".

Lolz how could you mistake that bogger accent for a D4??:D :D (I'm from Sligo, so I know my bogger accents...)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Some of the usual suspects - legend and/or ledge, chav, bling etc..
    Couple of new entries : Naggin (or flaggin) - theres is something deeply unnerving about these words to me. Anyone who tells me anything involving a naggin of whatever, my opinion of them goes down a little notch. Just something about it, and not necessarily due to the consumption of the naggin, but the word itself.

And he he someone just got away with using the c word.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭Futureman

Pighead wrote:
    Pigheads hates the word "underpants". Pighead just can't get my head around using it in conversation.
    I'm confused. You're pighead!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Don't worry, its normal for him. You'll get used to him like most of us have, he was dropped on his head (repeatedly) as a young lad.:) Sorry to bring up bad memories of the mammy, Pighead.<3

*he always refers to himself in the third person.

I do that a lot (I'm sorry!) its just a noise people use in between words, when they are thinking of what to say next (in my experience).
    I use fúck, fúckin' or fúcking, :)
    kead1987 wrote:
    Legend, or as my pisshead friends have begun to call it, Ledge.
    yep. that one gets me too. or the shortened version: "ledge".

kead1987 wrote:
    Session, as in drinking session. 'Oh we're gonna have some session tonight'
    doesn't bother me that much, but again it's the shortened version: "sesh".

kead1987 wrote:
    And the variations of drunk, such as langered, flutered, and most of all, locked.
    Locked is one I use, but only in reference to a friend of mine.
    It comes from when we were teenagers and the guy in question didn't drink, but acted as if her was drunk, thus earning him the nickname.
    outside of that, it's not in my common vocab.*

*thrown in for annoyance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Scrotum

Somebody saying at the end of every sentence -ye know.

'aight'. I just wish I could slap whoever says it with a big wet salmon across their face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

eamoss wrote:
    People saying "town" as in Dublin when they are outside Dublin OR what really gets me is people who dont even live/from Dublin saying it!

Like In college(Maynooth)
    Friend: Where did you go?
    Me: town!
    Friend: How did u get back so fast?
    Me:*thinking for a sec* Oh no I ment town as in Maynooth town

:mad:
    Good man, Eamoss! Some people think there's one town in Ireland...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Couple of new entries : Naggin (or flaggin) - theres is something deeply unnerving about these words to me. Anyone who tells me anything involving a naggin of whatever, my opinion of them goes down a little notch. Just something about it, and not necessarily due to the consumption of the naggin, but the word itself.

And he he someone just got away with using the c word.
    The words naggin (and flagon) are older than you. Show respect!:p

I agree that consumption of a naggin isn't to be lauded. You'd need at least a half bottle to feel any effect...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

The only word/phrase I hate is the word "cúnt". I absolutely despise that word.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭eimearnll

the word like at the end of every bloody sentence you know like,my cousin does it all the time like and had me doing it for a while like.:mad:

• Advertisement
Advertisement