Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are there any words you can't stand?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Caliden wrote:
    Anything that comes out of D4, this thread only confirms this.

actually i disllike the term d4 used to describe, er, d4 heads! d4 heads can also live in blackrock, foxrock, killiney, portmarnock, malahide, terenure. i cud go on.

ringsend is in d4 and its a bit of a kip tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭el diablo

I hate "lol". :mad:

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

People who call Dun Laoighre "Dunleary"

Pronounce it the way it's spelled people!

I'm off to learn how to type fadas. I dobn't know how

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

micmclo wrote:

d4 head :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

micmclo wrote:

alt gr + <a,e,i,o,u>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Ironical and Thunk (thunk?????? its thought man its thought!)

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Apparently quite A LOT of people here seem to think that "alot" is a word.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 143 ✭✭clare82

"dodge"...as in dodge
    "sca" as in scandal
    and if you listen/watch the news..."contraversey" they dont pronounce it correctly anymore...listen and you'll understand what im talking about and they also say "issue" but with an "iss" instead of an "ish" sound

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

julep wrote:

It is a word ?? Its a small town in India :rolleyes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alot

Everyone knows that :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

clare82 wrote:
    "dodge"...as in dodge
    "sca" as in scandal
    and if you listen/watch the news..."contraversey" they dont pronounce it correctly anymore...listen and you'll understand what im talking about and they also say "issue" but with an "iss" instead of an "ish" sound

They also pronouce Gardaí as "gor-thee", which I find weird.

I hate when people say lol as well, when I see anyone saying it I automatically think they're an idiot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭mc nuggets

Ironic
    one of my friends said this for around two weeks for anything that wasn't ironic. i then taught him what it meant and straight away i got a "thats ironic".

Random, just cause its started to rain doesnt mean its random.

Chillax, i have sudden urges to rip the throat out of anyone who uses this phrase.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭man1

Whats this new way to say sixth, they have started to pronounce it like "sick", especially on sky news in the last year or so but more recently it has crept into irish news on and off??????

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭biggles007

Maggie Tatcher's Absolutely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Another one that probably came from yer hippidy hop or MTV rap, "thats sick". *vomits*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

*i'm not saying your a girl

That should be "I'm not saying you're a girl." Well if you're going to be making a fuss about the usage of there/their/they're.

I hate innit.

No it fu©king well isn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

faceman wrote:
    actually i disllike the term d4 used to describe, er, d4 heads! d4 heads can also live in blackrock, foxrock, killiney, portmarnock, malahide, terenure. i cud go on.

ringsend is in d4 and its a bit of a kip tbh
    its more a description of someone's personality than their place of birth, like chav is a reference to chatham in kent but is used for anyone who wears a tracksuit and stabs people for their runners
    micmclo wrote:

ok, dun-lay-o-ig-hra

i thought of another "word" i hate: normalcy. its normality you mouth breather!!!!111!!!!1111!!!11!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Backtoblack

Okidokey
    This drives me insane. I don't care where it came from. I think its particularly unoriginal and I take a strong dislike to people that use it... :confused: :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

julep wrote:
    what punishment should be allotted to them ?

Butterfly - Flutterby is so much better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

"My bad..."

I loathe this. Why can't you say, "I was wrong" or "it was my fault."

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Ones already mentioned: legend, class, savage, wicked, etc.

I also hate "grand" even though I sometimes use it myself. As in:

"How are you?"
    "Grand."

"I'm really sorry!:
    "Ah sure your grand."
    etc, etc

It just sounds fake.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭mackerski

micmclo wrote:

But it is called Dunleary in English, making it an entirely reasonable way for people (themselves speaking English) to pronounce it. That pronunciation (in fact, the English name itself) has been handed down from the time prior to what must be the most successful piece of linguistic cleansing since Port Laoise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

"In terms of"
    "The High Street shops" - when referring to Ireland.
    "Going forward" - as in "we're expecting things to improve going forward"
    "Annual leave" when referring to holidays - sounds like that your employer has been exceedingly generous to let you off once a year for a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Merrick

2 phrases:
    At the end of the day. No need for a rant against that one. Grrr....
    No problem - I catch myself saying this sometimes at work and almost want to slap myself every time. Of course it was no problem, it's what I'm paid to do anyway!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭lacuna

admiralgar wrote:
    want, as in 'i want'. i hate it, can people not just say 'can i have'

It should be "May I have..." rather than "Can I have...".

It's usually bad grammar rather than particular words or phrases that annoys me. My current hate is when people say "the amount of people" instead of "the number of people". Also, as someone else pointed out, when someone says "should of" or "could of" instead of "should HAVE" or "could HAVE".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

dude, chill out, sham (when saying hello to someone eg well sham or yes sham) ggrrr

"to be honest" kind of like as if they are going to lie to you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I'm guilty of using "dude".
    I blame Beavis and Butthead for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

lacuna wrote:
    It should be "May I have..." rather than "Can I have...".

It's usually bad grammar rather than particular words or phrases that annoys me. My current hate is when people say "the amount of people" instead of "the number of people". Also, as someone else pointed out, when someone says "should of" or "could of" instead of "should HAVE" or "could HAVE".

Why is it number instead of amount?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 995 ✭✭✭cousin_borat

synergy
    going forward
    blue sky thinking
    out of the box

"ah jaysus" (**punches the wall**)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I HATE the word "retarded" used in any context but particularly in the American "oh my god thats SO retarded" sense.
    It always conjures up notions of Britney Spears making nose pressed back piggy faces at the camera and saying it. All those who chose to say it are tainted by the horrible association in my eyes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Think they've all been covered, but definitely "tbh". Adds nothing to the post, apart from the nagging feeling that the poster is a compulsive liar.

Actually / Ironically / Literally / used incorrectly.

The iPod thing doesn't bother me any more than people who say "hoover" instead of vacuum cleaner, and "biro" instead of pen etc.

I don't know why this annoys me, but when people say "would have / of" - e.g.:

"Were you out last night?"
    "Yes, I would have been"

You would have been, if what?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭I_and_I

SUP...... I can't stand that. Or worse "whats the haps".
    And something thats always annoyed me and I don't know why maybe because everyone says it, "any news with ya".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭nobodythere

Savage, handy, tune, buzz.

And the phrase "bad buzz is better than no buzz!

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Trix

'endeavor'.......I don't know why but that word really annoys me. I think people just use it to sound intellectual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭imeatingchips

MEH

jesus christ. what an annoying word.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭imeatingchips

and when people spell lose/losing like loose/loosing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,353 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Sit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

• over use of the word "like" =>

"I was in town like n I was talking to her like n she wasnt listening like, it was so ignorant like I wouldnt do it to her like"

• the word "totally" =>

"I'm totally going for some Heinos tonight"

• the word "anal" iused in the wrong context =>

"stop being so anal about it"
      "pub was really anal last night"

• the phrase "by the same token"
    • nerd talk. Atari Jaguar, Meh, etc....
    • or anyone that says "fúcking" followed by "Jesus Christ" or "Holy Mary".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

"At the end of the day" especially when used at the beginning of a sentence or as padding throughout.I think football commentators started it.

Or "i'm loving...". No you're not "loving it.." you LOVE IT!!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

"quare" (spl?) -- as in "That was quare good fun." Maybe its just a Carlow thing, but i bloody hate it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

i dont like the word "Rapid" from when i was youngeer god that used to reck my head

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Den_M

I hate it when student types go around saying things like 'high fiiiive' (a la Borat) when drunk or overly excited.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

"Oh my god" is VERY annoying.

"Yes, what about him? Do you believe he's somehow to blame for your pointless, meaningless, blasphemous use of the English language?"

After any episode of Pimp My Ride I just want to chew my hand off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭slipss

These have all proabably been said but

:Ledge, I don't mind legend, as in "do you like Bob Dylan?" "Yeah hes a legend." But ledge I hate, exspecialy when its used without a sentence around it. "I'm going to that new club that opened tonight." "Ledge". Luckily none of my friends use it but even when I hear a stranger using it it makes me want to do something very nasty to them.

This is more pronunciation than a word but anyone that pronounces their t's as sh's. Roish instead of right, warsher instead of water, staysh instead of state. That drives me fukking nuts and I have on many occasions refused to associate with people that speak like that, for thier own safety more than anything else.

Also in general any imported English slang.
    :Pikeys instead of knackers being an example. But I don't particualy like the word knacker when it isn't in relation to someone that renders old animals either. :Wicked is another. As in I think that car is wicked. :Chav more than anything though. If I ever hear someone use that word on the streets of Dublin they had better pray to God that thier are lots of witnesses around otherwise they will be getting their genitals burnt with acid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Bodhidharma

Celebrity.

I also hate tabloid words like "romp" and "shame" as in "Minor celebrity in romp shame with hooker".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Today I have a new found hatred of "this".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

orla wrote:
    Today I have a new found hatred of "this".

Thanks for reminding me, "diss".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Oh and how could I have forgotten the dreaded "anywho" or it's equally repulsive alternative "anyhoo"....for f*ck's sake it's ANYHOW as in ANY HOW!

Unless you're american by birth and/or grew up there, then the unbastardised and correct term is anyhow (http://www.thefreedictionary.com/anyhow)...
    Anywho/anyhoo is probably acceptable as american spoken slang, but (http://www.thefreedictionary.com/anywho) it ain't in there.

Interesting aside:
    http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=anywho
    Def. #3 is my favourite (and no I didn't submit it)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭Lirange

People beginning or punctuating phrases with "me thinks"

It's neither clever nor cute. Never was.

The phrase should be quarantined to Shakespeare's fools/jesters and Cockney slobs only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

TBH

Boards members use it waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to much

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭BobbyD10

Celebrity.

Agree.

Who decides whos a celebrity, celebrity big brother, celebrity jigs & reels, celebrity ice skating, celebrity ice dancing.I'm a celebrity...

Ahhhhhhhhhhh...!!!!!!

Advertisement