Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are there any words you can't stand?

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭BobbyD10

Celebrity.

Agree.

Who decides whos a celebrity, celebrity big brother, celebrity jigs & reels, celebrity ice skating, celebrity ice dancing.I'm a celebrity...

Ahhhhhhhhhhh...!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Trix

Kiith wrote:
    "quare" (spl?) -- as in "That was quare good fun." Maybe its just a Carlow thing, but i bloody hate it.

well thats definately a Wicklow word.

"to be honest" kind of like as if they are going to lie to you
    Yeah, I think they actually mean to say "to be frank"...

I dislike people confusing "been" with "being", similarly for "seen" and "seeing". Seriously, there's a g at the end of "seeing", so to say "I was seen this girl once..." is not acceptable!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

It goes without saying that most of us hate incorrect spelling of words e.g. lose /loose etc as well as poor grammer. but we're all guilty at some stage.

While we're on roll
    i hate it when people dont pronouce their th.
    I also hate when people say filhim instead of film.

And one of the most abused words in the english language is verbal.
    "I have a verbal agreement with my employer"
    That doesnt mean that the contract was a spoken one and not written!!! Verbal means words, oral means spoken. Therefore the correct phrase is i have an oral agreement with my emploer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭chamlis

tbh "pick 'n' mix" really does my head in

*shudders

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

bluewolf wrote:
    Yeah, I think they actually mean to say "to be frank"...

I dislike people confusing "been" with "being", similarly for "seen" and "seeing". Seriously, there's a g at the end of "seeing", so to say "I was seen this girl once..." is not acceptable!!

i like your nazism :)
    faceman wrote:
    soken one
    ;) not the best spell czecher, are we?
    faceman wrote:
    i have an oral agreement with my emploer
    does that sound funny to anyone else?! :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Floccinaucinihilipilification, i find it an utterly pointless word...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

I absolutely despise the word "Random". If I hear anyone go "That's so RANDOM!!!!!!" or "we just went on this RANDOM night out!!!!!" I'll scream.

The word "Lube" makes me squirm for some reason. Oh, and "locked".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

faceman wrote:
    It goes without saying that most of us hate incorrect spelling of words e.g. lose /loose etc as well as poor grammer. but we're all guilty at some stage.
    grammar :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

When explaining / describing something to someone and they respond.

'Can you repeat that again - in English'.

Really annoying - especially seeing as what I said to them in the first place was in English.

Not my fault if their vocabulary is crap and they're thick.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

"I could care less"
    ignorant bastards

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

grammar :D

ahem....
    faceman wrote:
    ...but we're all guilty at some stage.

I covered myself! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

I dont like the word "love" as used by a Hanna Finnegan type wearing HSE glasses and dosco mop on head behind a counter in a stinking run down shop
    addressing me as "Are ya right there, luv?. Just enough to get the bargain frying pan she is selling and put it to good use..........

"Basically" and "Also" are words I see being used at the beginning of a sentence. What does this mean? well, basically, blah blah blah.
    Today is a wet day, also it snows............blah blah blah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

"Jackeen"
    i may be a bogger, but i absolutely hate the term jackeen.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

ye jackeen really old fashioned, but its a decent word for us country folk to describe the dubs , when we get called culchies, boggers, rednecks etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Sexually attractive people being described as 'hot'

Like when used as punctuation device in every sentence. Ditto 'Totally'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭pbsuxok1znja4r

Some of the usual suspects - legend and/or ledge, chav, bling etc..
    Couple of new entries : Naggin (or flaggin) - theres is something deeply unnerving about these words to me. Anyone who tells me anything involving a naggin of whatever, my opinion of them goes down a little notch. Just something about it, and not necessarily due to the consumption of the naggin, but the word itself.
    Kinda true, but I'm guilty of using the word myself. I don't know how else to describe a bottle of vodka of that particular size. I found myself in the off-licence recently just kind of pointly mutely at a "naggin" on the shelf...so I wouldn't have to say the word. Which I eventually did have to say :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭man1

I hate "such and such"
    Arrrgggghhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Louise77

I can;t stand the new tense that Dubs have invented "Do be"
    WTH?? "I do get angry when I think of that", "he does be annoyed when he sees her"???
    Anybody else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Kinda true, but I'm guilty of using the word myself. I don't know how else to describe a bottle of vodka of that particular size. I found myself in the off-licence recently just kind of pointly mutely at a "naggin" on the shelf...so I wouldn't have to say the word. Which I eventually did have to say :mad:
    It's called a "Naggin".
    Eaggin.—A measure equal to half a gill, or the fourth part of a pint. It is still in general use in the purchase of spirii~s and other liquids. The word (which is as common a one as can be met with), is not given in either Uregeen or the dictionary published by th~ Manx Society. Under the term gill in the latter, naggin is given as the Manx of the word.

Half a naggin.—Is equal to a glass.
    http://www.isle-of-man.com/manxnotebook/manxsoc/msvol21/p210.htm
    Liquid Measurements
    Noggin = 1 Gill
    Gill = 1/4 Pint
    Nip = 1/4 Pint
    Small = 1/2 Pint
    Large = 1 Pint
    Quart = 2 Pints
    Flagon = 1 Quart
    8 Pints = 1 Gallon
    Firkin = 9 Gallons
    Anker = 10 Gallons
    Barrel = 36 Gallons
    Tun = 216 Gallons
    http://www.plymouthcamra.co.uk/fun.htm#Imperial%20(pre-decimal)%20Measures

Louise77 wrote:
    Not new either. Dublin people have been saying that for as long as I can remember and probably long before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Agamemnon

I hate it when people use "clicky", "clickey" or, worst of all, "clickeh" as the text in a link. Think of something more descriptive! Even "Give me a good ol' click, big boy" would be better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

you could always ask for them by their size:

naggin - 200ml
    flaggin/shoulder - 400ml
    bottle - 700ml
    litre - well duh 1000ml

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭iremex

"oh absolutely", "oh my GOD" and anyone who asks for a "tall,skinny latte"

i heard a new one last weekend "cunny funt" as in "you are some cunny funt arent you!"

edit: also "chicken". A manager(female) calls everyone "chicken" and instead of saying goodbye signs off the phone call with "Dae-dae"....make me just want to headbang the wall..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

agamemnon wrote:
    I hate it when people use "clicky", "clickey" or, worst of all, "clickeh" as the text in a link. Think of something more descriptive! Even "Give me a good ol' click, big boy" would be better.

What about "clickeh - it's teh funneh"?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Agamemnon

eoin_s wrote:
    What about "clickeh - it's teh funneh"?

That's another cretinous one. People using "linkage" instead of "link" must stop too. Please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

gingavitus!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭mackerski

Louise77 wrote:
    WTH?? "I do get angry when I think of that", "he does be annoyed when he sees her"???

I'm not a fan of that either, but it's not Dublinese:

http://www.inst.at/trans/16Nr/03_2/shimada16.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

"Loike", or any words in which an 'I' sound is changed to 'oi'.

"Homework", "Essay", "Leaving Cert.".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

c u nt
    hate that word

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Brian Capture

JIZZLORD wrote:
    "Jackeen"
    i may be a bogger, but i absolutely hate the term jackeen.

Do you support
    the IRISH REPUBLICAN ARMY
    or the IRISH NATIONAL LIBERATION ARMY

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

Something that really bugs me is when people say y? instead of why? on msn or on forums... it just really really annoys me for some reason

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Has anyone already mentioned 'irregardless'?

Anything to do with sales-waffle, viz. "blue-sky", "white-box", "touch base", etc.

Do pronunciations count? E.g. the elongated sh-y 't' that so many idiots use: "Thashh film is shishhe".

Anyone calling anyone else "bud".

"Stall the ball" is a phrase that does my head in, and another vote here for "I seen", "I done" etc. I remember once upon a time one of the lads in my class in school told me he thought he "done good" in the English exam we just had; I was too disgusted to laugh.

The radio ad where the girls says she'll take a "rain-check" makes me want to go out and FACKING KILL PEOPLE. Jesus, the only thing that annoys me more than Americanisms is people using Americanisms without even knowing what they mean - it's obvious they just got so used to hearing it on television that they mindlessly repeat it, parrotlike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭kano476

IMPLEMENT i always feel like someones lying or trying to dig themselves out of a hole. its such an irish word aswell!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭PlayGirl

people saying " i never done/did nothing" :confused::confused::confused:

Advertisement