Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is there a 20 euro charge from AIB

Options
  • 02-02-2007 11:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭

I was just checking my statement this evening, and I came across a 20 euro charge

to quote
    26-01-07 DEBIT STAMP DUTY 20.00

Is this one of these stealth taxes?

Has anyone else had this charge?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

swingking wrote:
    I was just checking my statement this evening, and I came across a 20 euro charge

to quote

Is this one of these stealth taxes?

Has anyone else had this charge?

It's a government tax. It's been around for about 2 years. It's €40 on credit cards and €20 on Laser

• Registered Users Posts: 43,923 ✭✭✭✭Basq

It is what it says it is - stamp duty!

Everyone has to pay it i'm afraid!

Think it's €10 a year for a standard ATM card, €20 a year for ATM card with debit capabilities (Laser, Maestro) and €40 a year for their credit card. Could be mistaken about those prices.

Was charged my stamp duty during the week too.

"Dems the breaks!" :(

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭gerryo

basquille wrote:
    It is what it says it is - stamp duty!

Everyone has to pay it i'm afraid!
    I think they refund for old folks (over 65) or else the bank pays.
    Should do the same for students, if not already done.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Ulster bank charged me €40 it says: GOVT DUTY 02 CARDS
    Its a joint account so both of us have cards... does not seem fair since with a credit card you can have 1 account and 2 cards and not be charged more.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,078 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

The card duty has been round for donkey's years. It's the equivalent of cheque book duty and was introduced because the government felt that they would be losing out by people not using cheques. The UK had the same cheque duty but scrapped it 30 odd years ago.

• Advertisement

Girlfriend was charged €30 for her BOI Laser card.. the same one i was charged €20 for with AIB. Surely this shouldn't vary from bank to bank.

This appeared on her statement:
    GOVT CARD DUTY-LSR 20.00
    GOVT CARD DUTY-ATM 10.00
    Should she get onto Bank Of Ireland about this? Seems odd to be charged for both Laser and ATM.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,078 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I remember getting a helpful letter from AIB some time ago, telling me that, as I had a Laser Card and a Banklink Card, they would cancel the Banklink Card because the Laser Card covered ATMs as well. and I would therefore not have to pay the extra €10 duty. Perhaps BOI are leaving it to their customers to find out the hard way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭rugbug86

i've a student account with AIB and i haven't been charged. so far anyways...

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Greener

I have a student account with AIB and I was charged the 20 quid. God damn, whatever happened to "students and oaps go free"!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

rugbug86 wrote:
    So do I and I was charged the €20

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

rugbug86 wrote:

The credit card charge appears around 1st April...(Fool's day eh, a coincidence? I think not). I've always had to pay the €40 with my Student Plus AIB a/c. It seems like a lot, but I've saved more than €40 by buying stuff online, so 'tis fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

It's all part of the government's committment to a cashless society. ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Greener wrote:
    I have a student account with AIB and I was charged the 20 quid. God damn, whatever happened to "students and oaps go free"!

they didn't force you to sign up did they?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Right. Try living these days without a bank account and see how far you get :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

well, it's either pay it and have an account or don't pay it and not.

doesn't matter how much moaning you do on a web forum isn't going to get rid of the charge.

i pay the 40 for credit card and 10 for my bank card, i don't like having to pay them but meh i'm getting a service for them.

what i should of said really was, that every bank makes you fully aware of what it charges for services in their ToC's so it's not like people are not informed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

The government will get you one way or the other, make no mistake about it. :) When they started charging for cheques to force people to switch over to the ATM and Laser cards and then slapped on the duty fee but what can ya do. Lovely bunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭gerryo

I think some folks here are not seeing the real problem.

The fees are not for the Banks, they are not for the service, they are a levy for the gov. You already pay quarterly account fees.

The ATM card allows you access your cash without you having you engage a bank clerk every day or start pestering the banks to stay open later. ATM's are cheaper for banks than people, the cost of operating ATM's is (or should be) already included in the account fees.

Cheque guarantee cards were introduced to combat fraud, & only cover small amounts anyway. Each time a cheque is used, a levy is paid to the Gov. Accounts are charged for cheque books.

So to recap, you are already paying fees to access your own money & paying fees to cover your own cheques, the levies are a gov. tax

Credit cards are a similar idea, except this time there is an element of credit, you get a temp load from the CC company, so the Gov. thinks this is something they should tax.

Of all the levies, the CC is the only one justified (& then it's somewhat unfair in this Internet age). Paying a levy to access & use your own money is unfair.

I'm surprised there is not more outrage over this. Maybe the EC should rule on it.

Try living without an ATM/Laser/CC/Cheque Guarantee cards & see how things work out. You have the option, it's not not compatible with modern living.

It's just another indirect tax, a nice earnier for the banks (who get the benefit of your €€ for a short while) & the gov. It's really a technology tax.

Remember back when there was only a paper trail (bank books), there was no levy then.

Was meant to be temporary (ISTR a finance mininister saying this on a budget day long time ago). Guess like Income Tax (as a previous poster highlighted), it's here to stay.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

Cremo wrote:
    i pay the 40 for credit card and 10 for my bank card, i don't like having to pay them but meh i'm getting a service for them.

Thats the thing though, your not getting any service for the charge, the bank provides them for free. Its the govt charging a duty on them.

gerryo wrote:
    It's really a technology tax.

Definitely, should never have been allowed to be introduced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭BC

basquille wrote:
    Girlfriend was charged €30 for her BOI Laser card.. the same one i was charged €20 for with AIB. Surely this shouldn't vary from bank to bank.

This appeared on her statement:

Should she get onto Bank Of Ireland about this? Seems odd to be charged for both Laser and ATM.

Does she have 2 separate cards - a laser one and an ATM one?

The charges are (from Revenue website):

Credit Card - 40 euro per account
    ATM card - 10 euro per card
    Laser/Debit card - 10 euro per card
    Combined ATM/Debit/Laser - 20 euro per card
    Charge Card - 40 euro per card

BC wrote:
    Does she have 2 separate cards - a laser one and an ATM one?
    She got it sorted... she sent off for a replacement ATM card and got the Laser / ATM card back. But they still had her old card registered in the system.

She went into the bank on Monday and re-imbursed it immediately.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

BC wrote:
    Credit Card - 40 euro per account
    ATM card - 10 euro per card
    Laser/Debit card - 10 euro per card
    Combined ATM/Debit/Laser - 20 euro per card
    Charge Card - 40 euro per card

Note the Credit Card is per account not per card so 3 cards on one credit card account are still €40

Otherwise you pay by the card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 skandrot

This charge is completely ridiculous. I am an American student with an Irish bank account and, despite being the greediest bank/country in the world, Bank of America would never charge such a ridiculous fee. Apparently Ireland has one-upped us Americans on this one.

Sarah

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

a) this is a very very old thread and we tend not to resurrect them as it causes confusion!

b) its a government tax on all debit and credit cards, not an AIB specific thing

c) none of us are happy with it

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement