Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should boy racers kill themselves?

• 02-02-2007 11:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭

See title. Should they do the world a favour and end their own lives as soon as possible?

Should they? 86 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No. The poor little darlings!
    100% 86 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

Um no, they should just drive sensibly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

I dont think so, suicide is hardly the answer. I'd rather if they just didn't drive so carelessly.

OP that's hardly a balanced poll, nobody's saying they're darlings!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭MontgomeryClift

Well they do drive sensibly outside their parents' house or during the day when they're going to the shop or whatever. It's just at night they tear around the roads away from home and terrorise people. They're not driving to a destination, they're just racing on a public road for sport. So I don't think driving sensibly is the point.

That's joyriding though, isn't it?
    Anyway, neither are very commendable, no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

My personal opinion is that anyone under 21 shouldn't be allowed to drive anything with an engine above 1 litre.
    Boy racers don't come into my estate all that much. If they do, they are usually flagged down, pulled out of the car and given a few slaps by some of my neighbours. There are a lot of kids about the place and driving up the road at speeds of 50mph and above is just no acceptable.

• Advertisement

What an idiotic statement for you to make Monty!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I can hear them racing their cars on the bypass, as I type.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 380 ✭✭ODS

Lets see, ye buy a 10 year old sierra, micra or whatever, tint the windows, stick on a noise-making exhaust, add some fins and go-faster stickers... Proceed to wear a cap and drive around aggressively to show off. FFS What is there to show off ??? Its a pointless, pathethic, tacky, thrashy, mind-numbing culture and epitomises the worst aspects of contemporary life in Tiger Ireland - a disposable culture for a disposable existance. "Vomit though my eyes" seems to be the phrase of the day. :eek:

In any case, its not as if theres any safety, environmental or other benefits - the contrary is the case - and it adds to the insurance loading for other drivers.

The sooner this area is legally resolved and policed, especially re exhausts and annoying aggressive driving - the better.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

They piss me off so much. During my exams, some wanker sat in his car every evening outside my window, revving his souped-up engine for about 10 minutes, before tearing off down a heavily pedestrian populated street at about 80km/h. GRR! They should be fined for noise pollution, but not forced to kill themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

ODS wrote:
    Lets see, ye buy a 10 year old sierra, micra or whatever, tint the windows, stick on a noise-making exhaust, add some fins and go-faster stickers... Proceed to wear a cap and drive around aggressively to show off. FFS What is there to show off ??? Its a pointless, pathethic, tacky, thrashy, mind-numbing culture and epitomises the worst aspects of contemporary life in Tiger Ireland - a disposable culture for a disposable existance. "Vomit though my eyes" seems to be the phrase of the day. :eek:

Don't forget the "No Fear" stickers. :)

Ah yes, you can hear them before you see them. Thankfully not many around in the town I live in Illinois, glad to get away from them. *UNF, UNF, UNF*
    I'd be happy if they got some cop on or a bit o' common sense, no killing or anyone else hurt required.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

do i want them to kill themselves? no
    would i weep if they wrapped their car around a tree and died? no
    would i be angry if they hurt/killed an innocent passer by? yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

My sentiments precisely.

All the Sunday morning "bleeding heart" items in the news won't change the fact that pricks will be pricks.

Deserted road? 3 am? No other vehicle involved? As cheech and chong once said, if it looks like sh1t, smells like sh1t, etc. etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

where's the Atari Jaguar option?

OT: they should just drive sensibly, although i guess then they wouldnt be boy-racers, they'd be boy-sensible-drivers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

See title. Should they do the world a favour and end their own lives as soon as possible?
    Mont, what are your views?
    You only started this thread to get a reaction with that opening (and only) line.

Stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Lorax

ODS wrote:
    Lets see, ye buy a 10 year old sierra, micra or whatever, tint the windows, stick on a noise-making exhaust, add some fins and go-faster stickers... Proceed to wear a cap and drive around aggressively to show off. FFS What is there to show off ??? Its a pointless, pathethic, tacky, thrashy, mind-numbing culture and epitomises the worst aspects of contemporary life in Tiger Ireland

Want to throw in any more vast generalisations? Let me state this clearly:

-Not everyone who restores old cars/modifies their cars = a joyriding aggresive driver.

-Not every joyriding aggresive driver drives a restored/modified car.

Thank you, carry on

[Edit] Also just thought Id mention, the majority of people who modify cars dont do it on micras/clios etc. Yes theres the odd 1, but its mostly civics/lancers/imprezas/astras/focus/skylines/etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

MANDATORY SUICIDE!!! (gotta love slayer)

No course they shouldn't kill themselves, but when they do kill themselves because of their driving it's their own fault. My 17 yo sister is driving now, I've taken to worrying about her safety cause even though she (usually) seems safe enough and everything she seems to think she knows it all. I try to remind her that she doesn't even have her full license!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

They should be forced to ride bicycles with giant exhausts attached to them.

Think the OP should give his definition of 'boy racer' or else this thread should be locked, or change the title to

"Should people who drive their cars recklessly at high speeds, putting their own and other peoples lives in danger, kill themselves"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

Lorax wrote:
    Think the OP should give his definition of 'boy racer' or else this thread should be locked, or change the title to

"Should people who drive their cars recklessly at high speeds, putting their own and other peoples lives in danger, kill themselves"

methinks lorax mods his car

HavoK wrote:

While sounding the mating call of the moronicus kappacus dickheadicus;

"Boooaaaaaaaammmmmmmmbimbimbimbimbim(backfire)boooaaaaaammmm"

I have to listen to that crap on and off most nights of the week (never before 2 am), and I live in a so called "good" area...

Their "spot" is a car park, unlit, and with one entrance, half a mile from here, and I can still hear the bastards. Funnily enough, all their cars are modified, fancy that...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Boy racer: A person who drives with no consideration for other fellow drivers on the public road with no skill in knowing their distances and braking abilities and will also make sure to know what music tune they are playing.

Fair enough thats your definition and probably most peoples.

I just wanted to clear it up that people who modify their cars (theres a whole forum on boards.ie dedicated to it) are not scumbags/dangerous drivers. Its a hobby, like anything kite-flying, collecting stamps, whatever your into..

MooseJam wrote:
    methinks lorax mods his car
    Lorax wrote:
    Hi guys, I drive an opel astra mk3 1.4 petrol...

...Nah.

;)

ODS wrote:

In any case, its not as if theres any safety, environmental or other benefits - the contrary is the case - and it adds to the insurance loading for other drivers.

The sooner this area is legally resolved and policed, especially re exhausts and annoying aggressive driving - the better.
    What's the deal with those exhausts that go "tssst"?
    What exactly is the point of having one fitted to your car?
    why buy a car that can do 240 k/ph what the maximum speed limit is 120? You are only teasing yourself.
    When I drove i had a red car (no idea what type of car it was. all i know is that £20 filled the tank and lasted a week and the car got me to work and back, including getting me from Dun Laoire to Leixlip when it was on empty).
    I just can't fathom why people would buy a big souped up car that guzzles petrol and then bitch and moan when the cops pull them for speeding.

Lorax wrote:
    -Not everyone who restores old cars/modifies their cars = a joyriding aggresive driver.
    -Not every joyriding aggresive driver drives a restored/modified car.

The point is being distorted. Sure there are plenty of tossers out there driving non-modefied cars, but equally the reason people buy mod cars is largely to show off - and thats done by driving it in a 'noticeable' way.
    Lorax wrote:
    majority of people who modify cars dont do it on micras/clios etc. Yes theres the odd 1, but its mostly civics/lancers/imprezas/astras/focus
    *Polite yawn - anorak-speak*

With all respect, in my book a car is to get from A to B safely; as I type there are dickheads speeding outside - and there's ramps already:eek: Point being, that if only there was more consideration shown on the road, traveling would be a far more relaxed + safer experience. Irish roads are an endurance and boy racers don't help.

One other more sombre point - it is now thought that not all single car crashs at 3am are accidents, that some may be suicides - and thats certainly an area that merits research and funding; more young Irish males die by there own hand than any other cause.

julep wrote:
    What's the deal with those exhausts that go "tssst"?

That's a dump valve for a turbo, j. Nothing to do with the exhaust (at the other end of the engine in fact), but, like a big spoiler, a prick extension nonetheless.

As regards getting pulled over, it's not so much the size, or speed of the car, it's the fact that they drive like assholes.

@ Lorax, I'm not generalising. Not all modders drive like rabid monkeys, but all dickhead drivers (in this distinct group we're discussing) drive vehicles modded to varying degrees.

It really is that simple.

edit/
    ODS wrote:
    One other more sombre point - it is now thought that not all single car crashs at 3am are accidents, that some may be suicides - and thats certainly an area that merits research and funding; more young Irish males die by there own hand than any other cause.

That certainly deserves consideration, save for the instances where there is more than one occupant in the vehicle...

ODS wrote:
    The point is being distorted. Sure there are plenty of tossers out there driving non-modefied cars, but equally the reason people buy mod cars is largely to show off - and thats done by driving it in a 'noticeable' way.

Wrong, wrong wrong. Firstly, most people dont "buy" modified cars, they modify them themselves as a hobby. Secondly, I know loads of people who have modifications done to their cars and they are very careful drivers, they know the ins and outs of their cars better than a mechanic, can tune their own engines, etc, wouldnt speed/joyride or risk getting penalty points (our insurance premiums are high enough as it is). Its just a hobby, something to do in your spare time. Go to car shows, etc.

+ these lads have girls literally throwing themselves at them, so its not all bad ;-]

@ Lorax, I'm not generalising. Not all modders drive like rabid monkeys, but all dickhead drivers (in this distinct group we're discussing) drive vehicles modded to varying degrees.

You just notice them more tbh because their cars are different than everyone elses, Ive seen a LOT more dangerous driving on the roads in standard mercs, bmws, audis, etc than modified car drivers.

I cant believe ppl are even wishing death upon modified car drivers, and hoping they commit suicide, etc.. its so extreme and horrible like just chill out seriously.

Or next time you see a modified car driver, why not follow him, knock on his window and express your concerns directly? Thought not. All mouth on the internet but if push came to shove what would you do? Absolutely nothing, thats right. [This is directed at you ODS] You can whinge and moan behind your keyboards and monitors all you like but its not gonna make a blind bit of difference.

Do you think any modified car driver is actually going to read this thread and say "Hmm good idea, some psychopath on the internet suggested I kill myself, off I go"

• Advertisement

The original thread was an attention seeking exercise, no doubt, I agree with you there.

However w.r.t. your latter point, I offer two words, "natural selection".

ODS wrote:
    I can vouch for that on first hand experience.
    Lorax wrote:
    I cant believe ppl are even wishing death upon modified car drivers, and hoping they commit suicide, etc.. its so extreme and horrible like just chill out seriously.
    Nobody said they should commit suicide. The title of the thread was tongue in cheek.

Lorax wrote:
    Or next time you see a modified car driver, why not follow him, knock on his window and express your concerns directly? Thought not. All mouth on the internet but if push came to shove what would you do? Absolutely nothing, thats right. [This is directed at you ODS] You can whinge and moan behind your keyboards and monitors all you like but its not gonna make a blind bit of difference.
    Read my first post in this thread...

ODS wrote:

While that is a valid hypothesis, it isn't exactly widely believed or 'now thought' to be the case. The last I've heard of was a study done by the Kildare coroner where in his research over a year he could only come up with one case where he thought the young man involved may have intentionally killed himself, but was unwilling to attribute it to suicide.

But you're right, it does merit more research. I think whether it is suicide in general or road crashes, the overall message that should be sent out is first of all self-respect and secondly respect for the welfare of others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Lorax wrote:
    [Edit] Also just thought Id mention, the majority of people who modify cars dont do it on micras/clios etc. Yes theres the odd 1, but its mostly civics/lancers/imprezas/astras/focus/skylines/etc

Lol! Not in this country, 90% of the modified cars you see going around are ****ty granny mobiles with things stuck onto them and absolute knackers driving them.
    Lorax wrote:
    + these lads have girls literally throwing themselves at them, so its not all bad ;-]

Yeah, the skanky knackers that go to their little meetings in car parks are really worth the money they invest in the cars ;)

You wouldn't catch a girl with a bit of class about her sitting in one of these modified bangers or attending the meets.
    Lorax wrote:
    Or next time you see a modified car driver, why not follow him, knock on his window and express your concerns directly? Thought not.

Chances are he'll be an absolute knacker so he might feel the need to start throwing digs (since they're knackers afterall).

Modified cars in this country are an absolute joke, 90% of them look like complete shít driven by attention starved shams. I've seen PLENTY of these guys racing on public roads, driving dangerously etc. Saying that the majority of them are safe, careful drivers is an absolute lie.

It doesn't really matter anyway, as I said, the majority of them are chavs so our paths very rarely cross but it has to be said, if I happened to come across a crashed modified car, wrapped around a poll perhaps, I'd point and laugh.

I couldn't give a f*ck if I seem to be generalising here, I know a massive amount of Impreza/other GOOD cars drivers in this country and the overwhelming majority of them stay well clear of these idiots. Some will have engine mods, but they don't tackily decorate their cars with crap accessories and then drive around thinking they're the shít.

In general, Boy racers are idiots, and deserve absolutely anything that happens to them, be it paralysis or death.I don't care if they want to race, as long as its not on public/busy roads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

I'm thinking maybe there should be a law against dangerous driving.

Kind of a middle of the road solution, obviously not as effective as hitting dangerous-looking modified cars with RPGs, but maybe people who drive dangerously could be singled out, fined and banned from driving.

This could be enforced by a special branch of the gardai, lets call them the traffic corps.

And speed limits, yes there should be speed limits on all roads above which you are deemed to be driving dangerously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

I can understand people wanting to adust their cars as its a hobby etc etc.

But why do some people need to put a huge exhaust on a 1L Micra/Starlet/Fiesta/Punto etc etc ?
    That really annoys me for some reason.

• Advertisement

ciaran76 wrote:
    I can understand people wanting to adust their cars as its a hobby etc etc.

But why do some people need to put a huge exhaust on a 1L Micra/Starlet/Fiesta/Punto etc etc ?
    That really annoys me for some reason.
    They crave attention and recognition amongst their "deadly" sham friends, or to show off.

Or maybe even to compensate for something else...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

Lorax wrote:

Ha ha yeah mate the pram pusher type skangers that shop in lifestyle sports.The "girls" (and thats all they are) are as tacky and have as much class as the **** buckets they are sitting in.
    I think its quiet a load of ****e that you said not all boyracers drive recklessly, that may be true but MAJORITY do, even the ones that claim they dont because they spend so much money on their car ,pfffft.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Ah lads I wouldn't take the poll too seriously, I think the OP was just venting his distaste for boyracers and the poll was a way of expressing this.
    On topic - yes they should kill themselves, some of them are soooo sad, they should maybe start their own town in a remote part of Ireland so as not pollute our eyes and ears.
    On a serious note it would be unfair to generalise all "boyracers" some may well be responsible drivers, but there will never be an excuse to defend some of the "modified" cars, some of the contraptions make me as it was so emotionally put before, want to vomit out of my eyes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

What a ****ing stupid topic. Ban Monty, tbh.....

HavoK wrote:
    Lol, I fully agree with this. That would be hilarious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭Blisterman

The worst boy racer car I saw was a Honda Civic or something similar, which the person had put Lamborghini doors on.
    Seriously. It probably cost almost as much as buying a good car, and it looked absolutely ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭Irjudge1

Yes but only if they bring a minimum of one solicitor, one politician and two estate agents with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭purple'n'gold

They are brainless morons and I could not care less whether they live or die so long as they don’t harm anyone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Should boy racers kill themselves?
    Thats a very selfish attitude Montel! After all a regular car has 5 seats in so we could quintuple thruput by letting their friends get in on some brickwall action.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Boy racer's = Pond life.

Absolute tosser's, I've never met one I didn't wish was sterilised or drowned at birth.

I also believe it should be illegal to modify car's. If you want a fast car, go and buy one. But don't drive a ten yr old Honda Civic, Micra, Punto etc and pretend its fast just because its noisy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

What do you mean by the stereotypical ''boy racer''? Do you mean joy riders or car modifiers?Two completly different types of people. I hate the way everyone tars them all with the one brush.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

julep wrote:
    My personal opinion is that anyone under 21 shouldn't be allowed to drive anything with an engine above 1 litre.

i doubt it would make much difference tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

true. a 1 litre car is well able to break the speed limit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭MontgomeryClift

By boy racer I mean someone who drives on a public road just to drive fast, for sport. There are ordinary people who, when making journeys, drive too fast and have no idea of how to slow down, and they're a problem and are not fit to drive, but they're not boy racers. Nor are the cosmetic modifiers, if they exist.

Nor are the cosmetic modifiers, if they exist.

Couldn't have been put clearer.
    Lorax wrote:
    next time you see a modified car driver, why not follow him, knock on his window and express your concerns directly? ...[This is directed at you ODS]

Because I'm 6'3" and don't need affirmation through physical confrontation, nor do I need to be blamed for road rage.
    What a ****ing stupid topic. Ban Monty, tbh.....
    in honour of the last American hero, to whom speed means freedom of the soul. The question is not when's he gonna stop, but who is gonna stop him

Hmmm... For some reason I am not convinced that by the argument put forward by those in favour of mod drivers. I wonder why. :(

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement