Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to send from the U.S.?

Options
  • 02-02-2007 11:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

I live in the northwest U.S., and I'd like to send a friend of mine a sort of care package, maybe with some stuff thrown in that isn't available in Ireland (candy and whatnot.. anything small really). Unfortunately, I have no idea what those things would be. Ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

Quite often american candy is an aquired taste for the irish palate. If you tell us age and gender of your friend, I'm sure we'll have more ideas. One thing to keep in mind is import tax. As far as I know (and someone will correct me if I'm wrong) even gifts have to be below a certain value or the recepient may face a hefty tax bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Oreos, Nerd Rope, Mountain Dew, Reecees (sp?)
    What about clothing that isn't available in Ireland too easily, American Eagle, AE, GAP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Get a couple of different packets of sweeties, 3 Muskateers, Almond Joy, Reeses but be careful, the shipping will be costly enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 duckie87

Thanks for the suggestions. Friend is male, and we're both in our early twenties. Reeses are amazing though. I'll have to be sure and include them:)

My problem is mainly that I can't figure out what "American" candy (or anything else, for that matter) is. So much is exported, and I don't want to send the equivalent of say, Pepsi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Anything by Hershey, its American (almost 100% sure).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭K!LL!@N

Whatever you send make sure it's light.
    The postage is a killer.

Mark the value of the package being less than $50 and it should be under the taxable limit.

Killian

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Chopper

Altoids Mints, Gum, and Sours are impossible to get here. I love the different flavor sours and try to bring a variety back with me when I visit the US.

There is other unusual stuff only available in America like
    - Cranberry Bog Frogs
    - Hershey Kisses
    - Ghirardelli Squares chocolate
    - Milk Duds
    - Babe Ruth
    - York Peppermint Patties

Lifesavers are interesting because we have the same thing under a different name - Polo.
    Also your Milky Way is our Mars
    Your 3 Musketeers is our Milky Way

don't bother with these as most are here already
    - Jelly Beans
    - plain Hershey bars
    - Willy Wonka
    - Reese's are here although rare.

Advertisement