Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sushi bar?

Options
  • 02-02-2007 11:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭

Any decent Sushi bars in Dublin? I was on my travels and was introduced to the sushi world and have been dying to have more since i got back.

I know of one on Clarendon St in D2. Anyone have any opinions on this place? That's the only place i know though, is there anywhere else?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Theres a good few in Dublin now. Pigheads favourite one is The Hop House on Parnell St. Don't be put off by the location. Its a cracking wee place and the food and prices are magnificent.

Promise me just one thing Lundi Mardi. Order the Crazy Roll. If you doo nothing for me ever again just do that one simple thing. You won't regret it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Plenty! Yamamori does it. Also there is one at Brown Thomas. another at the docklands. There is one in Tyrelstown (excellent, especially the Teppanyaki room!!) one in castleknock... etc
    The one at Brown Thomas is a proper bar where the food goes by on a roller and you pick up what you want.

Pighead i must look out for that one! Parnell street being like a Mini Asia town! Its probably very authentic and cheap compared to others. Is it the Ilac end or the summerhill end?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Yeah that one beside BT is pretty good as well. Its called AYA I think.

Saruman its on the Summerhill side. Its part of what used to be the Shakespeare pub. (Opposite Fibber McGees, if your au fait with your smelly hairy rocker pubs)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

The best sushi I have had in Dublin by far was in Chai Yo on Baggot street. Not the cheapest but pretty tasty. They also have a teppenyaki grill. :)

Nice one thanks...

Oh and try making it yourself... lots of fun! You just need the right type of rice etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭LundiMardi

what are these places like? Informal enough are they?

Mmmm, can't wait to get me some sushi, was never a fish fan but after trying some in NYC i've just been thinking about it ever since! heh heh

edit: ah yeah i know the YAMAMORI place, always see it when heading into waltons, never been in it though... Just checking out the website now, has a menu and everything:)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

Yamamori does very tasty sushi

When we go there we tend to just pick out a couple of the starters and some sushi pieces.

yeah, it seems quite pricey... 2-4 euro per piece, i have a large appetite and that could prove quite expensive... Even the ten large piece chef selection for €22, i don't even know if ten would be enough for me:) hehe

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

You could also try some take-away sushi from Sushi King on Baggot Street. Take-away only though, but pretty nice.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

LundiMardi wrote:
    yeah, it seems quite pricey... 2-4 euro per piece, i have a large appetite and that could prove quite expensive... Even the ten large piece chef selection for €22, i don't even know if ten would be enough for me:) hehe
    I found 3 pieces quite filling and that was before the tempora and teriyaki chicken.

• Advertisement

yeah, but you're a girl:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

Chai Yo is actually quite formal to be honest. Lots of business men and that kind of thing. If you want sushi on a budget try Marks and Spencer, the actually do tiny box of three peices with soya and wasabi for €1.50 and their full selection boxes are only €5-6. Some tesco's also carry similar type ranges.
    Aya is good near Braown Thomas. They have the whole Japanese style revolving sushi belt thing and as far as I remember they do a majorly cheap deal each evening at 10 to clear what they have left from the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭NextSteps

frobisher wrote:
    If you want sushi on a budget try Marks and Spencer, the actually do tiny box of three peices with soya and wasabi for €1.50 and their full selection boxes are only €5-6. Some tesco's also carry similar type ranges.

I wouldn't bother with these - they only have vegetarian and cooked fish in them, which is disappointing.

The Aya ones for sale in Tesco are the real deal if I remember correctly

Yes the Aya ones have proper fish etc in them.. however compared to fresh sushi they are rubbish. You would not believe the difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Saruman wrote: »
    Yes the Aya ones have proper fish etc in them.. however compared to fresh sushi they are rubbish. You would not believe the difference.

Just had my first ever Sushi today from Kokoro in Liffey St - was lovely & came with free Miso soup. I had I had the salmon and tuna sashimi, rice & edamame.

Was a bit tricky eating it in the dark in Cineworld though :)

Nico

Nico22 wrote: »
    Was a bit tricky eating it in the dark in Cineworld though :)

Talk about a baptism of fire for your first sushi meal :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

dudara wrote: »
    Talk about a baptism of fire for your first sushi meal :D

:)

Am a Cineworld card holder also and tend to get my value out of it & the only movie I hadn't seen that was on that day was a subtitled movie called New York so I couldn't even look down for a second.

Inevitably, I found a peice of fish, squeezed out a peice of a sachet that was included -- Alioli prehaps I was thinking -- WRONG!

It was what I believe to be pure mashed Horseradish paste - Wasabi I think it's called?

Well dear lord that stuff is hot -- was legging it down to the Dr Pepper machine in no time :)

Nico

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Schmowen

You could try SUSHI KING on DAWSON st too . Great sushi , and it's not formal either . Take it away or sit in . All good imo . Prices are better than most places around Dublin . I find that in supermarkets that the sushi is , well , old . It's made fresh every day in Sushi King .

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭antoniosicily

Schmowen wrote: »
    You could try SUSHI KING on DAWSON st too . Great sushi , and it's not formal either . Take it away or sit in . All good imo . Prices are better than most places around Dublin . I find that in supermarkets that the sushi is , well , old . It's made fresh every day in Sushi King .

I was about to post the same recommendation about sushi king, the sushi is great and better than the one sold in yamamori, it's the best sushi in Dublin so far (I've tried yamamori, aya and yo sushi).

• Advertisement
Advertisement