Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Credit card - buying over your limit

Options
  • 02-02-2007 11:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭

I used to be seriously dangerous on my credit card, then I got sense and reduced the limit to €300.

Now I want to buy something online and its €1900, theres a good package when buying on their website and I need to use a credit card. I have the cash in savings account and the missus rang the card company today to see if I can lodge the €1900 on the card and then order online.

The company Ulster Bank / Zinc said no can do. Since I just recently moved to the €300 limit, I've to wait 6 months to increase the limit, they wont do it temporarily.

My question is, is that unusual or just the Ulster Bank?

I'm ready to dump them and try another company.

Any advice?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Thats insane, that they wouldnt allow you to lodge the mony in your cc account. The BOI always let me do that. I got my limit upped a few weeks ago, just for a day while I booked a holiday online, and again, it was just a phone call that sorted it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

The card limit is a debit limit whereupon reaching it, any transactions will be refused. If however you transfer the 1900 into the card then you should be able to spend that much + 300.

Otherwise how could you get it back? It used to be very common for people to credit their card account with extra cash prior to going on holiday to allow withdrawals to be made using atms. Now Laser/Maestro is ubiquitious.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭FinoBlad

yea it is insane, i'll ring them again monday just to be sure the person on the phone wasnt mistaken. I'll change to another card if this really is their policy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭boomer_ie

FinoBlad wrote:
    I used to be seriously dangerous on my credit card, then I got sense and reduced the limit to €300.

Now I want to buy something online and its €1900, theres a good package when buying on their website and I need to use a credit card. I have the cash in savings account and the missus rang the card company today to see if I can lodge the €1900 on the card and then order online.

The company Ulster Bank / Zinc said no can do. Since I just recently moved to the €300 limit, I've to wait 6 months to increase the limit, they wont do it temporarily.

My question is, is that unusual or just the Ulster Bank?

I'm ready to dump them and try another company.

Any advice?

Sounds to me like the bank is getting mixed up in what you were looking for, by the sounds of things they seem to have heard that you wanted to increase your limit rather than add cash onto it.

Alternatively get hold of someone with a 3v card and ask them to get a €1900 receipt for you (its what Ive been doing the last few days while waiting for my 3V card to arrive

• Registered Users Posts: 12,514 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Should be no problem putting money into your account for the purpose of your transaction.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

I regularly add money to CC when I am doing major purchases. Person you talked to more than likely heard you incorrectly.

There is absolutely no problem lodging a credit balance to any credit card and spending it. - It will take 3-4 days for the lodgement to appear on your CC account.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭FinoBlad

Ok another call to Ulsterbank Zinc card people. They say that I cannot lodge money onto the card to make a large purchase :eek:

They also say our limit cannot be increased for 6 months, was 3,500 and recently we lowered it to 300.

So its goodbye Ulsterbank :D:D not fond of people with small debts eh ???

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

what a bunch of plonkers, it means the card is useless if you put cash into it before travel ( atm withdrawals abroad are free/cheap if you are in credit on your credit card ..normally )

find someone with a proper credit card who has cleared it and lodge the cash to their card instead , it will cost them nothing bar a bit of their time .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Can you transfer money online? Try it and see?

Advertisement