Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smoking at home

Options
  • 03-02-2007 12:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭

Did I hear right on the news during the week that there is a proposal or talk of extending banning of smoking at home or something? It might have related to apartment blocks or something but this seems a little crazy to me. HOw could this possibly be policed. Will there be inspectors walking around apartment blocks sticking their noses at the crack underneath the door for the sweet smell of tobacco?

The country is gone mad I tell ya...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

ASH Ireland (fúckers) are now pushing for smoking to be banned IN OUR OWN CARS. Claiming smoking whilst driving is more dangerous than driving whilst on a mobile phone, and not to forget the "kids" and how damaging it is for them to be in a car with smokers.
    My God, where the f*ck do these people get off.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Fuxake, it's getting a bit crazy alright.

Maybe these nannies should chauffer us around so.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Jaysuz, talk about a nanny state! While I've given up smoking (not intentionally, it just happened), I have no desire to see even more restrictions imposed on smokers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭alleepally

I'd love to see ASH's actual statistics on how smoking in a car could be dangerous. Mobile phone use is a no brainer, but their argument on smoking is :

"Smokers must light up, hold the cigarette, deposit the ash and dispose of the cigarette - all whilst driving. If it is not safe to hold a mobile phone while driving – it’s difficult to see how it can be safe to smoke. "

I don't see how any of the above is any more dangerous that someone fiddling with their car radio or talking to someone in a car and not giving full concentration to the road.

I think they've overstepped the mark on this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

I spotted ->this other thread<- before coming here, so that's where my ranting on the subject resides.

They might as well be asking for it to be banned in the home, since the only convincing argument they have for the car ban is second-hand smoke harming the children... the road safety aspect is clearly some unfounded donkey-crap they decided to throw in at the last minute to lend it some momentary credibility... maybe the first draft was laughed at.
    It's clear where they'll target next if they get this... the precident for a smoking ban in your own private little space will have been set and banning smoking in your own home won't seem like such a strech.
    It seems to me that ASH are slowly catching their monkey.

I'm all for sparing the children, but blanket-bans effect those of us who don't live with children... why should we lose our rights because some people are shít parents?

• Advertisement
Advertisement