Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheapo shredder ...yay or nay?

Options
  • 03-02-2007 12:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭

Our "garden" consists of half an acre of ex field which is used as a dog run with some grass and various wild bushes of the thorny and brambly variety.

The bushes are left there to give the dogs something to run around and hide under and to break up the monotony. Said bushes have to be trimmed every year (well, hacked and mutilated) and so far I've always dumped the cuttings in a corner.

The corner is full and I had the bright idea to get a shredder and use the end product to cover up some of the holes and tracks that the dogs have produced.

I don't want to spend a lot of money and was thinking along the lines of a cheapo electric shredder (usage once or twice a year).

There's a few 2500 Watt ones lingering at my local Lidl for a long while ...now that pruning time is coming close (before everything starts growing and before the birds move in) ...should I buy one (130 euro) or would it be a waste of money?

Anyone any experience with electric shredders in general and maybe the Lidl one in particular?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

Dont know much about the Lidl/Aldi ones but I got a Mountfield 2200w one, in B&Q last year. It's a slow running one which is great and takes larger branches. It was reduced to €160. Personally I'd favour a slow running one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭hobie

I purchased mine from Argos many years ago .... it cost me something like a 100.00 punts and still works fine ....

a couple of tips from my experience ....

If it says branches up to 1" (one inch) dia then don't put anything in bigger than half an inch and it will last for ever .....

after finishing your work session spray a little light oil (3 in 1 is fine) into the shreader, just as you switch off ...... it will protect the cutters and stop corrosion

always wear ear and eye protection ....

The material you produce makes a great mulch for around shrubs etc ....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Thanks guys !

Advertisement