Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dot matrix or laser for payroll?

Options
  • 03-02-2007 1:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭

I have been asked to setup a payroll system for someone and i am going with sage quickpay. Just wondering should I get a laser or dot matrix printer. The guy doesnt want the payslips on A4 paper. What is the norm now a days for a payroll setup as i have read a lot of companies are getting away from dot matrix? This is a very small company with only 5 workers but at one stage there was 60 odd and he said he might go back that way in the future.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Get him a price on the cost of a dot matrix and he may well change his mind.

Use A4 and buy a guillotine :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

dot matrix + continuous roll of payslips, cheap and easy to align.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

I don't really know, but I would certainly ring Sage and ask the support guys what they think is easier/better for someone setting up from scratch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭misterq

I used the A4 payslips from sage with a laser printer. Easy and simple.
    Plus a laser is far more economical for everyday office use (assuming they currently have an inkjet or something).

I got a Brother laser printer from Viking for about 200e a couple of years ago.
    I've bought toner once since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Pharcyde

Is there any reason the employer wants to move away from A4? Chances are he already has an inkjet/laser printer which will work fine with the laser payslips. You'd be looking at about €500 for a 9 pin wide-carridge dot-matrix printer which is required for the Sage Quickpay slips.

Bear in mind he'll probably only use the dot-matrix for the payroll which is a bit superfluous. misterq is right, the A4 are a lot more practicle and no guillotine is required as the are perferated. Both laser and dot-matrix slips cost the same so I'd say A4 all the way!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭jayo2004

The employer is starting out from scratch doing his own payroll. He had an accountant doing it but now that he has a small workforce its not paying him so he is going to start doing it himself. I think I'll go with the Laser it makes more sense. One more question in regards to stationery what is the difference between the below links besides price and which one would be best.

http://www.vikingdirect.ie/catalog/catalogSku.do;jsessionid=0000Ky8hogYqeUR58rHbEXg_8WY:11e77q7bo?id=SGE010&pr=QD2&N=3

http://www.sage.ie/ps/stationery/payroll/paysta_pricing.asp

I'm not too sure how the Viking ones will work as they appear to be A4!? I know the Sage one are designed for Quickpay in regards the layout; so if the Viking ones are A4 and the Sage ones are half A4 (A8?) the payments & deductions info would be all over the place??

I might be wrong.

Also, when you preview the payslip on screen before printing it will be in the layout of the Sage payslip.

Just in addition to my previous post; the Viking slips you were looking at are only for UK payroll and will not work for Irish payroll. You can see from the layout that it would be completely different.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

lafortezza wrote:
    dot matrix + continuous roll of payslips, cheap and easy to align.

Is this sarcasm? I cant tell

http://www.elara.ie/products/printers.asp?srch=column&anyallexact=all&manu=

The cheapest is twice or more the cost of a laser and Sage Micropay does not "support" narrow carriage printers either... you can get it working with a whole CRAP load of alignment.

Advertisement