Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do i need to donload to play avi files?

• 03-02-2007 2:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭

Hi, just looking to find the program i need to play avi files/videos. Is there a program called avi, or is it a codec type thing i need. Can i play avi. files through media player by any chance? Anyone got a link to whatever it is i need?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

you most likely need codec

divx and xvid are most common.

also download videolan media player

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

Just download VLC - video lan client. It should play whatever it is you have without needing any other stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

I have it workin from downloading some codec yokes off download.com. Thanks for the quick replies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

FYI, AVI is a container for a variety of different codecs! AVI is just a generic term.

Anyway, VLC will play most anything.

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

ugh... vlc, its like using a hammer to kill a flea (i.e. throw so many codecs at a file at least one of them should work)

I'd recommend just downloading the xvid and divx codecs, ONLY install the codecs, you shouldn't need any of the other crap bundled with them, like the players and toolbars.

most if not everybody uses these 2 codecs, and if you download an avi that doesn't work with them then the avi file is usually bundled with a readme giving details of which codec to use. Only install codecs as you need them, as some can conflict with each other and hog resources.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

.... or just install VLC, and then you'll have what you need when you need it.

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

or kaza codex lite..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

[QUOTE=L31mr0d
    I'd recommend just downloading the xvid and divx codecs, ONLY install the codecs, you shouldn't need any of the other crap bundled with them, like the players and toolbars.
    [/QUOTE]

Ugh, using these two codecs is like using a hammer to kill a flea. For a start, they're both fully capable of decoding each other so you only need either one or the other, personally I'd recommend XviD.

Also, XviD doesn't come bundled with anything at all, or at least Koepi's builds don't.

I think it's much easier to grab FFDshow and be able to decode just about anything, including DVD content

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Ugh, using these two codecs is like using a hammer to kill a flea. For a start, they're both fully capable of decoding each other so you only need either one or the other, personally I'd recommend XviD.

I don't know where you got that information from but i've had plenty of avi files that would ONLY play with the divx codec installed, and vice versa for xvid... oh and don't be trite, it makes you look childish.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement