Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS3 Scummery (and it's not Sony this time!)

Options
  • 03-02-2007 2:15am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Saw this on Eurogamer just now - some serious dirt-bag tactics by HMV here:

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=72601
    HMV's online store is now taking pre-orders for PlayStation 3 - providing consumers are also willing to purchase a 4GB PSP pack for a total price of GBP 675.

An email sent out to customers today says the deal will enable them to become one of the "lucky few" who will be able to pick up a PS3 at launch. It reads: "At HMV.co.uk, we've been working with Sony to offer up to 5000 customers an incredible deal when you buy the new Sony 4GB PSP.

I guess they took the Sony logic to the super extreme - that is that anyone willing to buy the PS3 at launch will be willing to pay a premium for it. Of course this set up means that now British customers will be verging on the 1,000-mark when you factor in games, accessories etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

insanity. but more then being a forced bundle, HMV probably just want to force people to pre-order in the stores themselves (forcing you to pass by cd's/dvd's that you may buy)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Recon

That's a ****ing joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

That has to be illegal :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Crazy. But the sad thing is they will get people to spend the money on the bundle.

Bollox HMV bollox.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

If the 'lucky few' actually fall for that marketing, condesending tone, my faith in humanity is lost.
    Worst bundle ever.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It seems that Sony made HMV their 'official' retailer for distribution of the PS3. This bundle must have been discussed with Sony before hand. Many other retailers are offering the same bundle. Sounds a bit dodge to me.

Here's Sonys great response on gameindustrybiz:
    A Sony spokesperson told GamesIndustry.biz, "This is just one of a number of value added incentives that retailers will be offering to mark the launch of PS3.

"Consumers are free to shop around to find a package that best suits their own needs, and offers the greatest value for money."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

An email sent out to customers today says the deal will enable them to become one of the "lucky few" who will be able to pick up a PS3 at launch.

that was the edited version, i think they probably said "An email sent out to customers today says the deal will enable them to become one of the "lucky few...................................................................................SUCKERS!!!! HAHAHAAHAHAHAH, oh sh*t did i hit send?!" :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Well it says a lot if consumers are stupid enough to buy the bundle or buy products from a company that thinks this behaviour is okay.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

They are forcing people to buy a PSP because the DS has kicked its ass. Pretty disgraceful. Sony's entire marketing & PR dept. should be taken out and shot. Apart from the guys who did that nice telly ad. The one with the paint.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Maximilian wrote:
    They are forcing people to buy a PSP because the DS has kicked its ass. Pretty disgraceful. Sony's entire marketing & PR dept. should be taken out and shot. Apart from the guys who did that nice telly ad. The one with the paint.

The awful PSP dustball adverts completely negate the kudos for that advert.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Retr0gamer wrote:
    I have to bite my thumb during those as they annoy me more than anything else on television.

Bad form SONY/HMV, even for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I guess this proves that, yes, people WILL buy a console at launch even if it costs them a grand...

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Retr0gamer wrote:

Haven't seen that but I'll take your word for it. Ok so, we'll kill them all. Maybe just give asbestos poisoning to the paint ad lot.

Advertisement