Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

dell 9400 problem

• 03-02-2007 12:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭

i have a problem with my dell 9400

some times when i turn it on ,theres alot of noise in the back like a fan

it takes ever to turn on and when its on i go windows task manager
    and i see the performance of th CPU usage its very very high

what could be wrong

battery??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,397 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Can you see what program is causing the cpu usage, should be listed under processes. Probably just some program is hogging the cpu and slowing the machine down just after windows starts

Might be worth starting in safe mode (press f8 before windows starts), see if you have the same problem, if not some software you've installed is probably the problem.

The fan will make noise, but shouldn't sound rough. The fan is running fast because the cpu is working hard and getting hot, the fan is keeping the temperatures reasonable. If the cpu isn't being cooled enough by the fan, say if the fan isn't running properly, the cpu will eventually cut it's performance so it doesn't damage itself. So this could be the problem, this can happen is the fan and heatsink aren't mounted properly on the cpu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

eolhc wrote:
    Can you see what program is causing the cpu usage, should be listed under processes. Probably just some program is hogging the cpu and slowing the machine down just after windows starts

Might be worth starting in safe mode (press f8 before windows starts), see if you have the same problem, if not some software you've installed is probably the problem.

The fan will make noise, but shouldn't sound rough. The fan is running fast because the cpu is working hard and getting hot, the fan is keeping the temperatures reasonable. If the cpu isn't being cooled enough by the fan, say if the fan isn't running properly, the cpu will eventually cut it's performance so it doesn't damage itself. So this could be the problem, this can happen is the fan and heatsink aren't mounted properly on the cpu

this problem happens like once out of 20 times i turn it on

if it only happens rarely its a bit strange, you don't have something like a virus scanner that starts up every so often that might cause it.

eolhc wrote:
    if it only happens rarely its a bit strange, you don't have something like a virus scanner that starts up every so often that might cause it.
    i use avg
    could it be the battery

i use avg
    could it be the battery

if it only happens when using the battery then maybe it's something like speedstep, or a powersaving profile, which reduces the cpu speed to save power. By changing the profile in power options, you should be able to see if it makes a differance, or by plugging in the ac adapter

doesn't sound like a battery fault though

• Advertisement

eolhc wrote:
    if it only happens when using the battery then maybe it's something like speedstep, or a powersaving profile, which reduces the cpu speed to save power. By changing the profile in power options, you should be able to see if it makes a differance, or by plugging in the ac adapter

doesn't sound like a battery fault though
    rang dell today

they think its the fan

they're sending someone out to have a look at it

thanks eolhc for the help

lads i contacted dell about upgrading my warrenty to 3 yrs

and they quoted me a price of 120 euro

that includes a engineer coming out to my house on a saturday

they said 120 euro is a special offer just for today

is that a good price
    120 inc vat

120 sounds good to me, thats about what you'd pay extra if buying a new machine, ie 1 Year Service only vs 3 Year At-Home Service

Advertisement