Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How to import? Costs?

Options
  • 03-02-2007 12:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

I know this is a regularly appearing thread! Sorry!!
    But I was wondering if anyone has definitive info on importing cars from Japan (Integra or Nice SIR Civic).
    So which is the best company to go through for importin into Ireland!?
    And especially ALL the costs involved!!:D
    Thanks Folks!!!:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭projectgtr

not too much info for you yet but im in the process of purchasing a jap car through www.ibcjapan.co.jp they ship to ireland,
    the cost
    >C.I.F (car, insurance(shipping), freight thats how its broken down
    >V.R.T just google vrt calculator, search the car you want and it will work out the VRT
    >then the usual road tax insurance NCT

if you do get one my friends recomend to change the battery, get a full service, change the timing belt, and replace ALL fluids

ill fill you in a little more when i order

shiping takes 4-6weeks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 EvoJack

My mate got a 1997 evo 4 from ibc in 2005 (Grade 4 ha ha ) the body had a good few marks on it that he was not aware of and the engine was knocking (had to be replaced) and it had to be towed off the doc. 2500 Euro to put right no come back to ibc.
    He also got stung for a vat bill that was close to the VRT amount he had no idea that was due.
    The whole import game is a risk that i would not under take to save a few bob that can end up costing you a lot more.

Ibc are not the only import co that i have heard bad things about.

I bought a evo 5 ( mint car) from a small impoter in kildare (platinummotors.ie ) did the service and belts and it was the best deal around.
    He is a nice guy and has sold a few cars to people i know and they all have the same thing to say.

I would say if you want to gamble try it if not go to a small importer pay a bit more but at least you can see the car in the raw, drive it and know what you are geting.

thanks for the heads up Evojack, its something i wanna give a go im starting small just gonna bring over a glanza so if anything goes terribly wrong it aint too much down the drain. I want to go from there with a view to taking a few trips to japan each year to buy myself.I have heard some stories like your mates but i have also heard alot of good stories specially about Ibc, non the less thanks for the input.

by any chance do you know how the Vat is worked out? is there anywhere i can inquire to calculate it?

any help would be appreciated guys, im gonna try put together a walk-through for importing from japan and sticky it to the forum,as i cant find alot of info on doing it.

Thanks in advance guys

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

Far as I know, VAT is worked out on the purchase price of the car PLUS delivery costs to Ireland. Customs clearance is around 10%. As a rough guide, add 30% to the cost of the car + shipping for vat & customs.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Sculdugery

I might be getting a DC5 of this crowd, i heard good storys about them!

Yer mans name is Gavin

www.japnuts.com

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I'm doing this now (second time) and this is how I've worked it out for a 98 Glanza with 100k km.

FOB 3800
    Shipping 490

Vat (21% of FOB + Shipping) 900.9
    Duty (10% of FOB + Shipping) 429
    Customs 150
    Handling 108
    Delivery 120
    Vrt 1024

It's give you an idea of what's coming up anyway.

thanks for all the hlp guys much appreciated

Mark what is FOB? and what importer did you use, thats strange on the vrt most glanzas i was looking at were coming in around the 700-800 mark the vrt seemed to drop in the new year, is there something im overlooking here?

Q: What is FOB price?
    FOB is abbreviation of "Free on board". FOB price applies for all cars exported from Japan unless you come to our yard to take a car by yourself. FOB price includes FOB export arragements in Japan (export and customs documents, documents translation), delivery of car from yards to port and loading onto the ship. Our FOB charge is one of the lowest and is only US$500 for the car to be exported from Japan. In other words FOB price equals to car price plus US$500. FOB price does not include car shipping cost to your port.

Basically FOB is auction price plus japanese agents cut.

VRT I calculated from www.ros.ie. Just tried it again (Jan 98 glanza again with 100k km) works out at €1014 today according to the site.

I'm importing it with the help of http://www.adcexports.jp/ The prices above are pretty accurate.

cool thanks mark
    so FOB seems to be the same as CIF on the site im dealing with (car+insurance+freight) will you let me know whow you get on with your purchase im hoping to make my order in the next 2-3 weeks fingers crossed.

hey mark you seem to know your glanzas are there any special editions worth looking out for with extra spec? also any ideas what chassis braces are worth getting?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

projectgtr wrote:
    cool thanks mark
    so FOB seems to be the same as CIF on the site im dealing with (car+insurance+freight) will you let me know whow you get on with your purchase im hoping to make my order in the next 2-3 weeks fingers crossed.

hey mark you seem to know your glanzas are there any special editions worth looking out for with extra spec? also any ideas what chassis braces are worth getting?

FOB means freight on board. Basically this is the cost of the car, agents fees and delivery to the ship. Transport to Ireland is extra.

CIF means cost, freight, insurance. This is the price to get the car to the buyers chosen port.

• Advertisement

thanks Cmar
    IBC have told me there are no other charges other than CIF, im sure they have "fit" their costs in somewhere, they allways do. the CIF price is the car shipped to dublinport

The glanza's are much of a muchness in regard to basic spec. I saw a lovely one there last week which I bid on but it went too high to be worth it. Had a full kit all round, looked sweet. Good to seperate from every other white glanza going around the place!

yeah i wanna do something different with mine still cant decide on a white or black one what do you think?

if its white i wanna take out the front scoop and get it resprayed black,then take off the glanza stickers and replace them with TRD stickers if i get their braces.

i know i shouldnt spend too much on it as ill be getting rid of it come september then i wanna get an EG Sir2 in as great nick as i can find.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭georgie59

Just read through the thread and thought I'd add son brought a 1997 Toyota Levin just over a year ago can't remember the crowd he brought from but the car was as describe (inmaculate compared to an Irish car).

He had to pay about 30% at the docks plus I think about 170 (not gaurentee the amount) for dock charges and agents fee. He just sold the car to a friend so is now looking for something else.

The agent he used in Dublin was MCI and they took care of the paper work and drove him round the docks when he went to pick it up. (on a car transporter).

He was happy with it and is willing to try it again

that another question i have
    when it arrives, is it ok to tow it home? i may not have access to a transporter and this may be my only option.

or could i transfer my insurance for the day or will they alow me (no plates, tax, nct) think i need to take a trip to my local garda station though they can be very abrupt some times. Any ideas?

Advertisement