Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Three Customer Support

Options
  • 03-02-2007 1:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭

I spent about 45min onto the Three customer support on Thursday. Basically I had to get my firmware updated (to stop phone freezing) but in the process I lost all my mms and web settings. When I got put through to an agent I got the 3rd degree from him as to how I lost my settings. I told him about the firmware and he then said that he would be unable to help as I had invalidated the warranty because I used the nokia center as opposed to the Three support chain (Three takes 3 days to repair the phone, nokia center will do it in an hour). After me arguing the point and saying that I had talked to someone earlier in Customer Support who said it wouldn't be a problem he finally relented.
    He then proceeded to give me the settings that I needed for web, which worked fine. Then problems started with the MMS settings. He talked me through the ones that he had on screen. Inputed them all and the mms still didnt work.
    After going through all the settings I then mentioned there were also advanced settings, it took him about 5minutes to find these on his system. He said that all the settings were correct and it should be working. At that point I couldnt stay on the phone any longer, so I said I would ring them back.
    Finally managed to get the mms working by doing a search on the forum and find the correct settings. Rang back customer support, just to check if I had got a gobsh1te or if it was a problem with the system. It transpires that on the Three support system they dont have the correct settings for MMS.
    I don't blame the staff, they have always been pleasant and helpful when I have rang but if they dont have the right info how are they meant to help people??
    As an aside, decided to email them, got an automated message back a full day later saying that there would be someone in contact within 7 working days!!!???
    Will post the settings for mms shortly

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

I don't think "3" like supporting those kinds of issues at all. They seem to operate on the basis that you'll buy a handset from them, it will be programmed and locked to their network. Where as other networks tend to be quite happy for customers to bring their own handsets with them.

I haven't found "3" great to be quite honest, just lots of issues that make me feel I want to switch once my contract ends up.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swampy353

I have had my share of problems with 3 myself but in general they have been sorted quickly. It would be prefrable if there weren't any but no matter what network you are on they is going to be problems.
    One thing that I do like about the customer support is that are generally friendly. I have found with other networks (Meteor been the exception) that the agents are very cold and just want to get you off the phone. Not all agents are like that but it seems to be the prevailing ethos in the big two.
    Also 3 have worked out alot cheaper for me then my previous contract with o2, I was getting bills for anything up to €75 and on average my bill with 3 is about €35 (usage has stayed roughly the same)

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swampy353

To save confusion heres the full mms settings for 3:
    Connection Name: 3 MMS
    Data Bearer: Packet Data
    Access Point Name: 3ireland.ie
    UserName: none
    Password: None
    Prompt Password: No
    Auth: Normal
    Homepage: [url]Http://mms.um.3ireland.ie:10021/mmsc[/url]
    Network type: IPv4
    Phone IP Address: Automatic
    DNS Address: Automatic
    Proxy Server Address: mms.3ireland.ie
    Proxy Port Number: 8799

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭davkav

just on that note I was having fierce trouble getting the settings to work on my sony k800i. I flashed my phone with the sony original firmware and got rid of the 3 firmware. But in doing this I lost all my wap and mms settings. After gathering settings from the uk wap and web settings for 3 I managed to get the right ones for three ireland. (Customer Services where of no help they just kept telling me to do a master reset, didnt exactly tell them I reflashed the phone)

Anyway for anyone else having trouble heres the settings

Menu->Connectivity->Data Communication->data Accounts->3
    APN: 3ireland.ie
    Username:
    Password:
    Login Request: Off
    Allow Calls: Automatic
    IP Address: ....
    DNS Address: ....
    Authentication: None (Ticked)
    PAP (Ticked)
    CHAP (Ticked)
    MS CHAP (unticked)
    MS CHAP V2 (unticked)
    Data Compression: Off
    Header Compression: Off

Menu->Connectivity->Internet Settings->Internet Profiles
    right ive got two profiles here one is 3MMS and 3WEB

3MMS:
    Connect using: 3
    Use Proxy: Yes
    Proxy Address: 172.031.065.116
    Port Number : 8799
    Username:
    Password:

3WEB:
    Use Proxy: No
    Proxy Address:
    Port Number :
    Username:
    Password:

Under Internet Profiles 3WEB is selected

Menu->Connectivity->Streaming Settings
    Connect Using: 3
    Proxy Address: mms.3ireland.ie
    Proxy Number: 8799

Hope this helps i know i searched everywhere for these settings and couldnt find them anywhere on the net

Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 14 niteowl2k

:eek: Hi, All, i got a k800 similar to yourself, and i needed the mms settings, i was onto three customer service in India, got nowhere, i used your settings, but still have difficulty, with MMS sending, i was in three store today, and they more or less told me where to go.

So overall my experience of three and simfree phones is not good, i rang Sony Ericsson and they said that Three would not give their operator settings on their download page. Oh well thank god my contract is up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

here's the settings as they are on my phone:

these are the 3 settings:

web settings
    connection name:3
    data bearer: packet data
    access point name:3ireland.ie
    user name:none
    prompt password:no
    password:default/blank
    authentication:normal
    homepage:http://mobile.3ireland.ie/hb/HutchKey

advanced settings:
    network type:ipv4
    phoner ip address automatic
    name servers: automatic
    proxy server address:none
    proxy port number:0

mms settings:
    connection name:3 MMS
    homepage:http://mms.um.3ireland.ie:10021/mmsc

advanced settings:
    proxy server address:mms.3ireland.ie
    proxy port number:8799

this is the 6th time these have been posted. time they were added to the sticky tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

i got a n73 from 3 month ago, course the firmware was fcuked on it so i flashed it (illegally is it??) with the music f/w and its all good now.

i didnt bother my ass ringing 3 about it, if the phone breaks i will have to re flash the f/w with the original serial number , just in case........ (had to chage serial number to update properly....)

anyway, 3 are not good for settings crap/.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

tks commander.;)

have to check mine, i cant use rapdishare links , i get the 3 page unavailable window......??

all other pages work ok.

ps: want to buy some csi episodes:D , was at ucc over the weekend, and the speeds are unreal, 7/8meg second.

puts our national broadband to shame........

Many Thanks to Commander for those, but what i am wondering can anyone who has a k800 working on the 3mms, as i believe the way the accounts are shown on the phone menu's are slightly different,

so in essence,

under picture msgs i have an mms profile
    not sure what it connects using?

under Data Accounts i have 2 3 mms and 3 web

and the same under internet profile's.

I do know for all your information that this board is read by someone in Three as they mentioned to me in a meeting in february, but whether they have read it recently is another thing.

Also 3 came out in April and said they had 77,000 customer or 1.6 % of the population, oh well i let the figures work for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

niteowl2k wrote:

Also 3 came out in April and said they had 77,000 customer or 1.6 % of the population, oh well i let the figures work for themselves.

If thats true lets hope they read it and take note, and get their act together soon, if its true that they are about to go on a massive drive for new "customers" then they need to up their game, at least explain to your customer "service" staff that Ireland is not the same as the UK! There are not too many worse things you can say to an Irish person.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭ADSLUSER

here's the settings as they are on my phone:

these are the 3 settings:

web settings
    connection name:3
    homepage:http://mobile.3ireland.ie/hb/HutchKey

advanced settings:
    proxy server address:none
    proxy port number:0

mms settings:
    connection name:3 MMS
    homepage:http://mms.um.3ireland.ie:10021/mmsc

advanced settings:
    proxy server address:mms.3ireland.ie
    proxy port number:8799

this is the 6th time these have been posted. time they were added to the sticky tbh

I have entered these settings above into my my simfree K800i but I can't get any video bulletins (video streaming) to work, same problem when I try to download msn. Any ideas why?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

ADSLUSER wrote:
    I have entered these settings above into my my simfree K800i but I can't get any video bulletins (video streaming) to work, same problem when I try to download msn. Any ideas why?

Me thinks that Three think you have a different phone than wot you has. My3 refuses to let me download symbian games on my N95.

If thats true lets hope they read it and take note, and get their act together soon, if its true that they are about to go on a massive drive for new "customers" then they need to up their game, at least explain to your customer "service" staff that Ireland is not the same as the UK! There are not too many worse things you can say to an Irish person.

I'd love to know why if you have billpay you can't use the sim in another phone whereas with prepay you can. They're like a bunch of control freaks, and while their Indian customer care is polite and friendly they are essentially like robots. With the native call centres at least you can generally persuade them to bend round to helping you.

Three's network is very ropey outside Dublin. I was in Monaghan town earlier and had no signal whatsover -not even Vodafone. On the plus side though I could surf away in Omagh.

I've also founf that the mobile broadband has been down quite often for sites outside of my3. e.g. the my3 google search was very fast returning links but try to load them and it either took forever to load them or gave a tcp-error. Been like that four nights in a row now. It seems to have something to do with the repagination of site for viewing on a small screen. I wonder how to bypass that.

I'd love to know why if you have billpay you can't use the sim in another phone whereas with prepay you can.
    i've used my bill pay sim in loads of phones with no problem. i think its against the terms and conditions but they can't actually stop you
    ADSLUSER wrote:
    is everything else working? do you get an error message or what happens

Hi, All, i wonder is it time we got some movement on a three customer service rally group, i will be emailing someone in there and HOPE to get a response, the more people that let their feelings known the better, as from my initial meeting with them i felt that while they read boards.ie it appeared to be more of an annoyance to them, than anything else.
    :D

niteowl2k wrote:
    Hi, All, i wonder is it time we got some movement on a three customer service rally group, i will be emailing someone in there and HOPE to get a response, the more people that let their feelings known the better, as from my initial meeting with them i felt that while they read boards.ie it appeared to be more of an annoyance to them, than anything else.

Whatever you want to do count me in, I will be happy to help in any way i can.

You actually met with someone from Three in person?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

Well you could always show up in a mob outside 3hq in dublin which is just off grafton street.....

neilled wrote:
    Well you could always show up in a mob outside 3hq in dublin which is just off grafton street.....

I dont think anyone really works there, they never answer the phone or return messages. Maybe they are all super busy training their customer service staff......

niteowl2k wrote:
    count me in

Despite what you think yes i did meet someone, by sheer utter accident, i have to spend some time digesting and congutating now a rather strong communication to them, I know vines was talking to me already, so if you want to PM im sure i can word a very nice email and hopefully get some action, for all of your efforts i got mms recieving but get unsupported error on sending, neilled i believe you have a K800.

• Advertisement

niteowl2k wrote:
    Despite what you think yes i did meet someone,

When i said "You actually met with someone from Three in person?" i wasn't questioning the claim, i was questioning that Three had "People" working for them in Ireland, i wouldn't put it past them trying to wing it by having no staff here. But now that i read it back i can see i did not make that very clear........sorry;)

I dont think anyone really works there, they never answer the phone or return messages. Maybe they are all super busy training their customer service staff......

Ah but there are people in there - i have been inside the HQ myself for an interview (i didn't get the job btw!) with 3 retail.

niteowl2k wrote:
    Despite what you think yes i did meet someone, by sheer utter accident, i have to spend some time digesting and congutating now a rather strong communication to them, I know vines was talking to me already, so if you want to PM im sure i can word a very nice email and hopefully get some action, for all of your efforts i got mms recieving but get unsupported error on sending, neilled i believe you have a K800.

Unsupported error? I think had that as well when i debranded my k800i although i'd need to check. Having said that the delivery reports don't work when the handset is debranded so i ended up rebranding with wotan server a while ago. Thankfully the firmware had been updated

Streaming worked fine when the handset was debranded without any change of settings - other than the ones that are listed here.

As soon as one of the other operators gets a decent data package I'm abandoning the three ship. Oddball network. Leixlip now joins monaghan with zero service.

Three customer supports only redeeming feature is that you can get through to them even if they are no help.

Three customer supports only redeeming feature is that you can get through to them even if they are no help.

Its almost as if its their job to answer the phone :D

I am after some advice here guys, I am at the end of my tether with Three now and i need to know what direction to move in to resolve this issue.

I will keep it short, i could rant but i will try not to.

The mast in my area is malfunctioning and has been for the last two months.

I have contacted Threes customer service on 083 3333333 which get me through to India, at my cost, they are no help, i have contacted the uk Data Support team, but they also seem unable to help as they seem to be UK only.

I have emailed them, rang HQ in Dublin and still i have got no where!

Do i now contact BT Ireland who look after Three's network here and do Three's job for them by telling them about the mast??

Do i contact Comreg and see if they can help?

Thanks guys

I didnt see too many of your responses so far, but i was onto Comreg, earlier today, and they said there is nothing they can do, in relation to regulating their customer service, as soon as o2 are up on 3g, i will be abandoning as well.

All three's mast work are done by a company called threefold they are based in sandyford, i am reliably informed that three only have about 600 sites of their own.

I really feel that we need to get some support here and go to three as a group.

p

I am after some advice here guys, I am at the end of my tether with Three now and i need to know what direction to move in to resolve this issue.

I will keep it short, i could rant but i will try not to.

The mast in my area is malfunctioning and has been for the last two months.

I have contacted Threes customer service on 083 3333333 which get me through to India, at my cost, they are no help, i have contacted the uk Data Support team, but they also seem unable to help as they seem to be UK only.

I have emailed them, rang HQ in Dublin and still i have got no where!

Do i now contact BT Ireland who look after Three's network here and do Three's job for them by telling them about the mast??

Do i contact Comreg and see if they can help?

Thanks guys
    my advice, move to a different network. afaik, if you have no coverage in your area you can break the contract without a termination fee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

Its almost as if its their job to answer the phone :D

I have always had my suspicions... :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 boballen

Apologies for posting English three settings, but during a google search your forumn is shown the most.

When I tried to find these settings from Three they were very awkward and refused to provide the details. Having checked lots of posts, and combined various bits of information the following will set MMS, Internet etc. up on a 3g phone not provided by Three. They work for me, so I hope they will be of use.

Menu->Connectivity->Data Communication->data Accounts
    Name:3
    APN: three.co.uk
    Username:
    Password:
    Login Request: Off
    Allow Calls: Automatic
    IP Address: ....
    DNS Address: ....
    Authentication: None (Ticked)
    PAP (Ticked)
    CHAP (Ticked)
    MS CHAP (unticked)
    MS CHAP V2 (unticked)
    Data Compression: Off
    Header Compression: Off

****************************************************************************************************

Name:3MMS:
    Proxy Address: mms.three.co.uk
    Port Number : 8799
    Username:
    Password:

If your phone will not allow text as a Proxy Address try: 172.031.065.116

Menu->Connectivity->Internet Settings->Internet Profiles->3MMS->Advanced
    Homepage: mms.um.three.co.uk:10021/mmsc

****************************************************************************************************

Name:3Browse:
    Use Proxy: No
    Proxy Address:
    Port Number :
    Username:
    Password:

Menu->Connectivity->Internet Settings->Internet Profiles->3Browse->Advanced
    Homepage: mobile.three.co.uk/hb/HutchKey

Menu->Connectivity->Streaming Settings

Proxy Address:mms.three.co.uk
    Port Number :8799

Messaging->Settings->Picture message->MMS profile
    MMS Profile Name: 3MMS
    Message Server: mms.um.three.co.uk:10021/mmsc
    Internet Profile: 3MMS

Advertisement