Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slow downloads on NTL

Options
  • 03-02-2007 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭

During the week there was a man talking on Newstalk about his BB provider. Now the presenter warned him not to mention the provider but it sounded like NTL. He was complaining about the lack of speed on his line. He wanted greater speed so he asked for it to be upped from 3-6meg, and he was in waterford, so it sounds like NTL.

Anyway he said he had a friend doing a bit of work and he checked his computer and complained about the lack of speed. He ran checks and said it was more like a 1meg line. End of the story he cancelled and went to eircom.

Now, I've the 6Meg NTL line myself. I noticed the last two weeks I can't download anything faster then ~150K per sec. However I can download multiple items of over 100K at the same time. Also speed tests on irishisptest give 4.something Meg which it always does. Its like my line to NTL is 6 but beyond that any individual download is like 1 Meg.

Downloading iso's from heanet seems to peak out at 150 k as well. I used to get around 700K+.

Anyone else notice this. I loathe the idea of attempting to get support from NTL on this one!

Update : On another thead a user said to try this file to test
    http://www.cdburnerxp.se/downloadsetup.zip

And it came down at over 500k! Maybe my line is alright but thats the only download in 2 weeks to break 160 k a second! Everything else still seems slow though...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

During the week there was a man talking on Newstalk about his BB provider. Now the presenter warned him not to mention the provider but it sounded like NTL. He was complaining about the lack of speed on his line. He wanted greater speed so he asked for it to be upped from 3-6meg, and he was in waterford, so it sounds like NTL.

Anyway he said he had a friend doing a bit of work and he checked his computer and complained about the lack of speed. He ran checks and said it was more like a 1meg line. End of the story he cancelled and went to eircom.

Now, I've the 6Meg NTL line myself. I noticed the last two weeks I can't download anything faster then ~150K per sec. However I can download multiple items of over 100K at the same time. Also speed tests on irishisptest give 4.something Meg which it always does. Its like my line to NTL is 6 but beyond that any individual download is like 1 Meg.

Downloading iso's from heanet seems to peak out at 150 k as well. I used to get around 700K+.

Anyone else notice this. I loathe the idea of attempting to get support from NTL on this one!

Update : On another thead a user said to try this file to test
    http://www.cdburnerxp.se/downloadsetup.zip

And it came down at over 500k! Maybe my line is alright but thats the only download in 2 weeks to break 160 k a second! Everything else still seems slow though...

Many posters have pointed out here that because NTL don't route traffic through INEX you can't rely on Irish sites to give accurate results. Try this one:

http://resources.zdnet.co.uk/speedtest/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Freddie59 wrote:
    Many posters have pointed out here that because NTL don't route traffic through INEX you can't rely on Irish sites to give accurate results. Try this one:

https://www.inex.ie/about/memberlist

https://www.inex.ie/technical/peeringmatrix

They are now. For over a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

Trace to boards.ie for me still routes through London & Amsterdam...

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

they have the peering agreement with 4 or 5 in place, but as yet dont actively route any traffic over the link yet, except to ntl telewest aka blueyonder

• Registered Users Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

Slow downloads on NTL

Hi and welcome to NTL

dont think ive ever had the 6meg service i am paying for... but since no one picks up there phones and the one time i got a call back from support just told me that ppl on my contention were downloading 120+gb over there monthly limit each had been causing the slowdowns. Funnily enough once i went off on one and demanded a credit and that i didnt care what others got upto, she promised they would be issuing cut off notices (what do i care about my neighbours) and that the credit would be looked into

funnily enough i havent heard a peep out of ntl ever since

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

Freddie59 wrote:

7816 kbits downloaded in 3.406 sec

2216 was result.. nice since im on "6 meg" :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Dont fret man NTL is really slow today for some reason, hopefully its because they are changing over to INEX now.

I am the one that suggested the cdburnerxp download on the other thread (The one mentioned on the first post) And I normally get over 600 KB/s (sometimes over 700 KB/s). I just tried it now and only got 80 KB/s!!!!! That is absolutely rediculouse . Hopefully teh speed will be fixed soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

Getting about 600KB/s on an 8 threaded download, so a bit slow toda yeah.

y how much would you normally get on an 8 threaded download?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

I was downloading from an Irish server last night and got over 500k. That was in Ballsbridge. I haven't downloaded anything on my connection recently.

• Advertisement

Are you sure the server was actually based in Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Are you sure the server was actually based in Ireland?

Not entirely sure but it was eircom.net so I would assume so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

Hi lately i was having really slow web browsing and slow downloads... if you have a net gear wgr614v6 or v7 wireless router you should update the firmware from v1 to v2.xxxxxx cant remember the number but it is available at www.netgear.com... i just did it a few mins ago and now my browsing and download speeds have greatly improved. hope this helps anyone with problems. :) before router upgrade hotmail took about 5mins to load now since upgrade its about 10 secs and average dl before upgrade was a pityful 100k or so after upgrade about 700k. it think part of the reason why it was so slow was the router kept stalling. oh and i tried the speedtest mentioned in one of the posts above i got 7816 kbits downloaded in 1.422 sec

sorry i have take back my previous post. while download speeds have improved web browsing is still very slow. grrrr

well i have ordered 8mb magnet broadband which is contention free so i should get what i pay for... i had them before and they were very quick. bye bye crappy ntl. chorus (ntl's new owners) really have mucked up this company. if you are having constant problems with NTL and can get magnet or someone else then i suggest you do. Show them they cant just rip us off...NTL charge you in advance for a system that is worse than dialup most of the time and a "customer we (ntl) dont care system" that is even more annoying. 6mb my ass 6k is more like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,866 ✭✭✭ozmo

Getting real bad speeds here lately.

I was getting sometimes "1Megabyte per second" on some sites in IE6 last year (paying for 6Mbit connection !).

Now Im getting 79K per second at the above download link and the usual sites Im I download from.

and 1145 score at zdnet.co.uk site (7816 kbits downloaded in 7.5 sec)
    (should be I guess be over 5000 at least for a 6M link I have)

Downloads are really really bad - Ill try the new firmware and phone them tomorrow...

Maybe something to do with recent Rebranding of uk servers www.ntlworld.com to virgin... ??

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 3,866 ✭✭✭ozmo

Well modem not dead after that upgrade - downloading the file suggested now at 60K per second - really terrible.

Using the wirelesss router, but wired with wireless turned off.

“Roll it back”

Advertisement