Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Listowel - Tesco?

Options
  • 03-02-2007 2:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24,071 ✭✭✭✭

I’ve nothing to do with Tesco but am interested in what Listowel people think about Tesco trying to open a store in Listowel. As a local, I’m all for it and get annoyed when the likes of SuperValu and Rgdata take the decision-making to An Bord Pleanala because they don’t want Tesco to trade. I’ll be mad if the decision goes against Tesco as a result of the sour-grapes whining of these objectors. There’s nothing like a bit of healthy competition.
    Before it was announced that Lidl was opening in Listowel, cheap milk suddenly arrived in Garvey’s SuperValu. In their Tralee store, cheap SuperValu branded milk had been available for a long time before that. I can understand them not wanting to reduce their profit-margins, but they’re certainly not going to go bust should Tesco get the go-ahead.
    There’s also the knock-on effect re jobs, something that Listowel needs as a result of the seemingly irreplaceable losses in recent years and the complete failure of any interested party to do anything but talk about the dire situation.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Cois-na-Feile

tesco opening in abbeyfeale after listowel merchants/ garveys etc objected
    consumers lose

• Registered Users Posts: 24,071 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Apparently, the only reason that there is a Tesco in Abbeyfeale, is that the land-owner, himself involved in the retail trade, got planning permission. After that Tesco acquired an interest in the land.

Had Tesco themselves bought the land and applied for permission, there would be no Tesco in Abbeyfeale. The local Musgrave franchisees, SuperValu and Centra etc.., and RGData would have been in there, complaining like the anti-competitive bunch they are.

Unfortunately, the complainants are too gutless to compete with the likes of Tesco and they don't want to lose their profit margins. Tesco might be huge concern, but at least it spreads the wealth around millions of shareholders. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but if Musgrave is large private company, the money stays with the Musgraves, apart from the bit that gets sliced off for the franchisees. I would hazard a guess and estimate that Tesco has more Irish shareholders than does Musgrave.

After the Listowel Tesco permission was refused, I couldn't help but notice that Garvey's Listowel stuck a big photo-montage on the wall in their main entrance, showing the happy smiling faces of some of the staff, and at the same time declare that the store was at the heart of the community. I thought that ironic, being as they had just lost Listowel about 150 new jobs:mad:

The present situation is that the R555 Listowel/Abbeyfeale road is a lot busier than it used to be.

Also - The Musgraves are getting no more of my hard-earned cash!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Apparently, the only reason that there is a Tesco in Abbeyfeale, is that the land-owner, himself involved in the retail trade, got planning permission. After that Tesco acquired an interest in the land.

Had Tesco themselves bought the land and applied for permission, there would be no Tesco in Abbeyfeale. The local Musgrave franchisees, SuperValu and Centra etc.., and RGData would have been in there, complaining like the anti-competitive bunch they are.

Unfortunately, the complainants are too gutless to compete with the likes of Tesco and they don't want to lose their profit margins. Tesco might be huge concern, but at least it spreads the wealth around millions of shareholders. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but if Musgrave is large private company, the money stays with the Musgraves, apart from the bit that gets sliced off for the franchisees. I would hazard a guess and estimate that Tesco has more Irish shareholders than does Musgrave.

After the Listowel Tesco permission was refused, I couldn't help but notice that Garvey's Listowel stuck a big photo-montage on the wall in their main entrance, showing the happy smiling faces of some of the staff, and at the same time declare that the store was at the heart of the community. I thought that ironic, being as they had just lost Listowel about 150 new jobs:mad:

The present situation is that the R555 Listowel/Abbeyfeale road is a lot busier than it used to be.

Also - The Musgraves are getting no more of my hard-earned cash!

Was also p1ssed off with the decision about tesco in listowel and especially those robbin' b$st4rds SuperValu being the culprits. Hence, the weekly shop is being done in Tralee up till lately & now Abbeyfeale. They lose anyways :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 shandy123

You may think i am backing up for Supervalu,I shop there because i like it, Bringing The Giants Tescos in to our lovely town will effect people ie supporting other bussiness? will tesco support organasations around our parish(area) maybe they will,maybe they want.Do They In Tralee???? taking bussiness outside the town is a bad idea we wanna get people in the town not out of it.
    ive noticed a few times wen i do my shopping in garveys they sponsor organsations tidy towns,emmets etc..........

tescos sponsors..............? wel i dont know that

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

I'd like SuperValue a lot more if the stock was better: the amount of times I've gone in to get what I consider pretty staple foods in my cupboard: parmesan or avocados or cat food only to be told that they were out of stock is unreal.

Also have you ever tried to bring back a trolley there only to find you can't (and anyone who uses it regularly will know what I'm on about!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Abbeyfeale is like what only 10 mins from Listowel? Sure whats wrong travelling 10 mins to scabby abbey and picking up some shopping?

shandy123 wrote: »
    You may think i am backing up for Supervalu,I shop there because i like it, Bringing The Giants Tescos in to our lovely town will effect people ie supporting other bussiness? will tesco support organasations around our parish(area) maybe they will,maybe they want.Do They In Tralee???? taking bussiness outside the town is a bad idea we wanna get people in the town not out of it.
    ive noticed a few times wen i do my shopping in garveys they sponsor organsations tidy towns,emmets etc..........

tescos sponsors..............? wel i dont know that

Anything that Garveys does "for the community" is part of the store's advertising budget. It's obviously working,because it's convinced you that they love the community, but at the end of the day, all any business wants is for the consumer to part with his or her cash. The pricing in Garveys makes certain that they get their hands on more of your cash than Tesco, Dunnes, Lidl or Aldi.

They've also got a lousy selection. Not so long ago, my daughter needed some ingredients for domestic science, and we ended up having to go to Tralee to get them.

tech2 wrote: »
    Abbeyfeale is like what only 10 mins from Listowel? Sure whats wrong travelling 10 mins to scabby abbey and picking up some shopping?

Nothing much wrong with a short trip up the road, but it doesn't do Listowel much good when its inhabitants don't just buy their weekly shopping in another town. Abbeyfeale's doing very well out of it, as is Tralee.

No doubt Mr Garvey will dip his hand in his pocket, and compensate the rest of the barely ticking-over non-grocery traders in Listowel. They could do with something to draw shoppers into the town, and the retail situation is just going to deteriorate further until something turns up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭kerry cow

ejmaztec wrote:
    No doubt Mr Garvey will dip his hand in his pocket, and compensate the rest of the barely ticking-over non-grocery traders in Listowel. They could do with something to draw shoppers into the town, and the retail situation is just going to deteriorate further until something turns up.

ejmaztec wrote:
    Nothing much wrong with a short trip up the road, but it doesn't do Listowel much good when its inhabitants don't just buy their weekly shopping in another town. Abbeyfeale's doing very well out of it, as is Tralee.

hope after 10 years your bitterness has healed .

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Now closing thread as its over 11 years old. Please don't resurrect old threads.

MOD

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement