Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Step by Step - How do I move to Canada?

Options
  • 03-02-2007 4:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi all,

Could anyone help me with my braindeadnesss? I really want to live in Canada for a while, possibly forever, possibly a couple of years, who knows...

Anyway, I have a few hurdles in my way, one of which is being a bit slow on the ol' uptake when it comes to applying for things. So can anyone advise me on the best course of action to take?

Here are some things that might be relevent:

1) Will be going with my boyf and daughter (possibly no. 2 if that happens before we get to go)

2) We're not married but plan on getting wed soonish (depending the the no.2 situation)

3) He's working, I've given up work as it wasn't financially viable to pay childcare, therefore I have no current employment but have jsut set up my own business.

4) He's training to become an Architectural Technician and doing very well. However, at the moment he's just a glorified cad monkey.

5) We don't own our own house, we're renting and have no real assets to speak of.

6) He has family in London, Ontario who have been living htere almost twenty years.

7) He also has an uncle in New Jersey (yes I know, different country...) but who owns a construction firm and could offer him a job.

8) We're both under 30 and I desperately want to live in another country before I die/DD starts school.

SO can anyone tell me in short sentences what our chances are and how do I go about applying?

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!!!

A

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

The only two things that stand out there that might help you are: his job and his family.

His job may qualify him to apply as a skilled worker (check the page I'm linking you to) and I guess it depends on how close his relatives are (but that probably won't help unless it's parents or grandparents)

Anyway, have a read - http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/index.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 ainran

Hi,

We (my fiancee and I) are planning to move to vancouver in 6 weeks time. We are kinda lucky though because its all being done through her comany... Before we found out that her company could move us, I was looking into this issue alot. Even went so far as to get the postal order to send to the embassy.

The big problem is that if your comming from Ireland, regardless if your a skilled worker or not, you have to go through the london embassy which has a 45 month waiting list. So my first tip is to get a job first and not to apply to the embassy (at least outside of canada). I would recommend that you get yourselves some temperory visa's (which you could qualify for if his uncle gives him a job where he would be working in canada) and then apply when your over there. The total time is about 8 months if you do it that way V's 4 to 5 years if you do it the normal route.

With regards to not being married, if you have lived together for over one year, then you are "common law" partners under the canadian legal system and entitled to all the rights of a married couple, so really that is not an issue.

As Exit said, make sure that he meets the "skilled worker" requirements, especially if you want to go over without a job first. That site has an automated calculation tool to let you know if you qualify. If you do then its relitivly easy to get yourself the temperory visa, if you don't then you may have a bit of a battle (not to say it can't be done). I would recommend that you take up something like french classes as if one of you speaks french then its worth about 5 points (you need about 65-67, and there is a language test if you put on your application that you speak french). Family in canada (which you have) helps by adding points onto your score.

With regards to not having your own home, you need about 20k in the bank before you can go (it may be only 10k - especially if you are applying as a family)

My biggest tip is to look on amazon for books on the subject:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Living-Working-Canada/dp/1901130401/
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Canadian-Immigration-Made-Easy-Employment/dp/0973314001

Hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭greenteaicedtea

if you have lived together for over one year, then you are "common law" partners

You have to be able to prove it though, by having both your names on an apartment lease or something.

My brother tried bringing his girlfriend to Canada on that premise and because he had no paper trail to prove they had lived together, he ended up legally marrying her to speed things along.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Thanks for posting this info...as my wife and I are quietly considering something like this it is good to get some general info to learn more.

Advertisement