Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice please

Options
  • 03-02-2007 8:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭

Hey everyone,

I already posted a while ago about the new 4-year medicine in UCD.

But, I have a few more questions (sorry )

I'm bright enough (i hope) but by no means a genius.
    My Junior Cert Results were grand (4 A's-maths, english, irish, CSPE, 6 B's- Science, Spanish, Geog, History, Religion, Home Ec, and 1 C- French)

I know I could have done better in some but that's neither here nor there.

Anyway, I really want to do Medicine and have done work experience in Temple Street, attented a clinical day seminar in vincents, and talked to consultants and nurses.

But the fact is, I can almost bet I won't get the points. There's not a chance in hell I can get 580+.

What are all my options for getting into Med School, and is there any people here studying medicine who could tell me more about it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭pwee

Think postive. My brother got 3A's in junior and got 600. It can be done but only if u have the faith. it's no good me having faith in u. U have to have it.

Keep that chin up

Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

Byrno, Panda 100 and Big Jim the First are that meds that post here most often so they'd be the ones that could advise you best on medicine.

As for alternative pathways - well I study radiography and I know a good few radiographers that have gotten into Medicine mature entry (that's through the CAO and you submit references etc, different to the graduate entry), I can think of 3 off the top of my head who've gone back to college to study medicine in the last few years and I know one other girl who's in her fourth year of dentistry.

Physios have done it too - well pretty much any med related course is a good grounding for studying medicine, especially in UCD because they tend to do a lot of extra detail which you don't necessarily need for your course but it's a fantastic grounding. I know a lot of radiographers who have graduated and say they're over qualified in terms of what they studied for there jobs but those who've gone on have found it immensely helpful.

A lot of people in paramedical courses do consider going on and doing medicine but you really have to want it - you face spending about 9 years in college all told.

UCD have also started some new course this year - can't for the life of me think what it's called but they do courses in anatomy physiology etc, basically lots of med type things and I think the aim of it is kinda a precursor for those who want to get into medicine graduate entry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭Hooly22

It's not the length of time I mind. It's going to be a forever learning job, so it's not the learning that bothers me. It's just actually knowing I can get there somehow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

Tbh if you want it enough you'll find a way to do it.

Oh yeah if you do a primary degree in a health science subject there is a college in Scotland (can't for the life of me think which one) you can do it in four years there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

Hey Hooly

I hear the entry requirements are being changed either this year or the year after, where you'd have to get something like 450 in the LC, and then all suitable applicants would go on to do some sort of aptitude test.

The other way like Steph said is to do it as a mature student. In a few years they're hoping to have half of the places in UCD reserved for graduate entry students, and they'll do 4 year courses I think (1st group of those started this year).

Article on the 450 points business from last month's Indo (so looks like next year hopefully):
    Medical courses are in excellent health with greater student access

IT'S all change in medicine - but not just yet.

Discussion about the points system is often dominated by the near perfect results needed to get into medicine. The Government has decided to change all that and make it somewhat easier to get into a medical school.

Unfortunately, some of the changes won't come in time for this year's Leaving Cert students - they will still have to compete on points for a place.

From next year the intention is that a minimum of 450 points will be needed, combined with some form of aptitude test. The exact shape of the test has yet to be decided.

What is due to come into operation this year is a separate graduate entry scheme. That could be good news for those among the current crop of school leavers when they graduate in three or four years time and still have their hearts set on medicine.

The new scheme will be open to graduates of all disciplines, whether in arts or science or whatever. Fees will almost certainly have to be paid for the four years necessary to pass the course but there will be some scheme to help disadvantaged students.

Selection will be on the basis of the degree and again some form of aptitude test. It's getting somewhat late in the day for decisions to be taken on the precise test to be used.

The one most talked about is the GAMSAT which stands for the Graduate Australian Medical Schools Admission Test. It's already in use in some medical schools in the UK. However, the closing date for applications is February 2 and the actual test is due to be held on March 24.

Education Minister Mary Hanafin has established an expert group to advise her on the changes to the admissions processes and decisions need to be taken soon. The HEA's website (www.hea.ie) has a useful question and answer session on what is likely to happen with graduate entry.

Within a few years the number of places for Irish students in medical courses will have more than doubled - and not before time.

John Walshe

http://www.unison.ie/irish_independent/stories.php3?ca=50&si=1750697&issue_id=15079

• Advertisement

Oh, I will find a way:D I just need to find out all of my options.

I hope all that stuff about it changing goes ahead, I really do.:(

Thanks everyone:) You guys are amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

Hooly22 wrote:
    Hey everyone,

I already posted a while ago about the new 4-year medicine in UCD.

But, I have a few more questions (sorry )

I'm bright enough (i hope) but by no means a genius.
    My Junior Cert Results were grand (4 A's-maths, english, irish, CSPE, 6 B's- Science, Spanish, Geog, History, Religion, Home Ec, and 1 C- French)

I know I could have done better in some but that's neither here nor there.

Anyway, I really want to do Medicine and have done work experience in Temple Street, attented a clinical day seminar in vincents, and talked to consultants and nurses.

But the fact is, I can almost bet I won't get the points. There's not a chance in hell I can get 580+.

What are all my options for getting into Med School, and is there any people here studying medicine who could tell me more about it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Go to england. If you really want to do medicine then you should try for England. You've already proven that you want to do it tho I think its too late for UCAS

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭lizzyvera

It's worth getting a good LC even if you dont get 600 so work as hard as you can anyway. I got 100 points more than I expected!

Try UCAS too, your work experience will look good for interviews too.

I'll do the best i can, just not sure if 600 is in my reach.

Well done by the way:)

I was told joining the Order of Matla will look good aswell... so that's good!:D

How exactly do you apply to UCAS? Is that just what you go through to try get into college in the UK or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

Ya just the UK. You have to get a form-they your guidance officer and on that you have to include your junior cert results, what your teachers think that you can get in your leaving and also write a piece as to why you should and want to do medicine. Look into it. You'll also have to pay around €5000 a year to go to college in the UK (all UK people have to pay anyway)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭TheVan

Eh I don't think that anyone has picked up on the fact that graduate-entry medicine will begin, probably in 2007.

Look at this link on the UCD site.

Its not guaranteed to happen, but probable.

Therefore, if you don't get the points (you will if you believe, just like Peter Pan), just do a degree in some kind of health science and then do medicine in graduate entry!

Ta-da!

Advertisement