Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water Birth

Options
  • 03-02-2007 10:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

Hi,
    I'm just wondering if anyone knows the answer to this..Do any of the maternity hospitals in Dublin have birthing pools? I had a look on their websites but couldn't find any info. I'd be interested in a water birth (in the future like!).
    Thanks in advance!:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭ArthurDent

As far as I know none of the public hospitals have, maybe mount carmel does - not sure.

I know a couple of other hospitals outside dublin did/does - think olol drogheda and maybe mullingar - but you were only allowed labour in pool and had to leave it prior to birth (think this was after an incident in which there was a death) - not sure if ban is still in place.
    Yuo could try posting question on magicmum or rollercoaster.

HTH
    AD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Water births suspended after tragic death of baby
    Sunday, 9th April, 2006

LARA BRADLEY

WATER births have beensuspended in Irish hospitals after a baby died following a birthing-pool tragedy at Cavan General Hospital.

Complications arose during an underwater delivery in late February. The baby was transferred to a Dublin hospital where resuscitation continued, but unfortunately the infant died.

It is understood the mother is a woman in her 20s and the baby was her first-born. An inquest into the death has not yet taken place.

A spokeswoman for the HSE North Eastern Area said: "As the baby was born using the birthing-pool facility in the midwifery-led unit, a decision has been taken to suspend the use of the birthing pools for births. However, the use of these pools as a method of pain relief to support women in labour will continue. The suspension of the use of birthing pools for births is a precautionary measure pending the results of the coroner's post-mortem and to allow an external review to be carried out."
    Half of all British maternity units have birthing pools, but Irish hospitals have been slow to embrace the trend. The vast majority of water births in Ireland take place outside of hospitals with two-thirds of the estimated 500 homebirths each year involving the use of birthing pools.

So far, the facility has only been offered in the midwife-led units at Cavan General Hospital and Our Lady of Lourdes in Drogheda. Just 10 babies have been born in the birthing pool at Cavan, while approximately 40 were born in the birthing pool in Drogheda. Both hospitals have banned births in the pools until an independent review takes place.
    The Homebirth Association of Ireland says there is no record of any similar tragedies among the estimated 330 babies born at home each year with the use of birthing pools.

Spokeswoman Kysia Lynch said: "The use of birthing pools is very, very common and midwives are very au fait with it. Any woman planning a water birth should follow the advice of their caregiver."

I would suggest that you consider getting in touch with your local health board midwife

[quote= http://www.irishhealth.com/clin/pregnancy/features2.html?artid=1779] woman's right to give birth at home is enshrined in Section 62 of the Health Act 1970, which obliges health boards to provide 'medical, surgical and midwifery services' to all eligible women. These services include antenatal care and a birth attendant to provide care during labour and delivery. The birth attendant is usually a public health nurse, as all public health nurses are also qualified midwives.[/quote]

Which you can contact throught your local health clinc and maybe
    http://www.homebirth.ie/homebirthassociationofireland.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 eviecarwash

Thank you so much for all the information. I didn't realise it was so rare in Ireland to have a water birth! I better start doing my research..:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

When I had my first son over 11 years ago in London my local hospital had facilities for water births and I was booked in for one. However I developed pre-eclamsia and didn't have a water birth.

It was a bit of a maternity culture shock when I had my 2nd lad over here but I found the midwives here to be more caring.

Advertisement