Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows XP Disc

• 04-02-2007 12:05am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭

Hi

I need to re-install windows XP in a laptop, is about 2 years old, the problem I have is that I do not have the Discs that came with it, it does have the sticker for "WinXP professional" with the serial number from IBM, what I wonder what disc should I try to get, will it be EOM or professional? I have a friend with a laptop Fujitsu with also XP, will it work if he has the disc? are the disc linked to the manufacturer?

Can the disc be downloaded from the Internet?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Galen

you need an original copy of your recovery cd from your laptop manufactuer. The key on underside of your laptop will not work with oem or retail discs. Blame Microsoft it their rules that laptop manufactuers have to obey. I tried and failed before to install windows xp oem on two different laptops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

OEM Windows XP CDs are generally manufacturer-specific, e.g. Compaq WinXP CDs will only work on Compaq PCs, Fujitsu-Siemens ones will only work on their PCs, etc. From my experience with those two the CD won't even boot on any other PC.

There's also the chance if you do use some other brand OEM disc that it won't accept the IBM product key - I'm not sure about that exactly.

So your best bet is getting an IBM WinXP Professional CD if you can, or maybe try your luck with a generic OEM CD. It *has* to be Professional though (not Home or MCE or anything else), and it may even have to be the same service pack (SP2 most likely) - again I'm not sure about that.

You may be asked to ring Microsoft to activate the product key again - this has happened a lot with me anyway when reinstalling. Don't worry about it - if it happens there's no other way about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Galen wrote:
    tried and failed before to install windows xp oem on two different laptops.
    I've tried and succeeded on several laptops. It should work if you get the exact windows version that the product key on the sticker belongs to. On a 2 year old machine it will probably be XP Professional OEM SP1 (or maybe SP1a). Boot from the cd and format the hd, then use the product key on the COA sticker when asked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

yea I reckon aslong as you have a windows xp pro disc it should work!

I have an advent computer and have been using a dell reinstall discs for months and using my product codes works fine!

I just formatted it tonight :D

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

Advertisement