Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CFL - why not suitable for enclosed fitting?

Options
  • 04-02-2007 12:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭

I've got an old flush light fitting ( brass trim and obscure glass cover) which takes two 40W SBS candle bulbs and was reluctant to use due to energy consumption. I was pleased to discover that 40w equivalent candle CFL's are available and bought two for the fitting. The problem is I've just read that they unsuitable for enclosing, according to the box illustrations.They are GE and bought form B&Q.

Has anyone ignored this and used them in a flush light fitting anyway? If sio, with what results?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I've two fitted outside, and TBH, I'd no idea that they weren't recommended for enclosed fittings. Both lights are running with CFLs for the past 18 months without any problems...................

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Did not think there would be any issues with putting them in an enclosed fitting. The usual problem with an enclosed fitting and normal bulbs is that the bulbe overheat because the heat can not get away quick enough. Ant the bulbs blow frequently.

Not obvious what the problem is once they physically fit ????

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

dingding wrote:
    Did not think there would be any issues with putting them in an enclosed fitting. The usual problem with an enclosed fitting and normal bulbs is that the bulbe overheat because the heat can not get away quick enough. Ant the bulbs blow frequently.

Not obvious what the problem is once they physically fit ????
    That's what I was thinking - and don't CFLs run a lot cooler than normal filament bulbs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

i often squash them into outdoor fittings if they're bigger .can't think of any problem theres no heat issue anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 39,417 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

crosstownk wrote:
    That's what I was thinking - and don't CFLs run a lot cooler than normal filament bulbs?
    Yeah they do. At least they should

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭hobie

mine run almost stone cold so I don't see a heat problem ....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Reyman

Usually, CFLs in enclosed fixtures have a reduced life expectancy; basically, the heat buildup cooks the bulb.

It's best to install CFLs in a fixture that has airflow around the CFL such as outdoor lighting where the fixture is open at the bottom, i.e., a coach-lantern style.

Another option is to install the bulb indoors in a table lamp with a shade that is open at the top and bottom.

In cold climates with cool summers (like Ireland), where heat is not as much of an issue, you'll probably get away with it and maybe only lose a few thousand working hours from the bulb's lifespan.

Advertisement