Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ski Club of Ireland

Options
  • 04-02-2007 1:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭

Anyone know anything about Skiing in Kilternan on the dry slope?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

yes. In short.

The long answer is that they have staggered degrees of membership and you can also show up for a free run.

If you show up for a free run I understand that you need to be assessed before you can go for insurance reasons.

They do varying levels of lessons, from complete beginner to pretty good.

I did a batch of lessons just recently before I went snowboarding and it was immensely worthwhile. I got a few things done that would have been a waste had I spent the first 2 days abroad trying to figure out.

I'd go back.

That said I've heard a lot of negative opinion about the place.

The surface is hard, and the nature of it lends to hurt fingers and a lot of bruises.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

Check out www.skiclub.ie for info.

I like the place. I'm just finishing the B course there right now. Friendly people, good facilities, equipment, etc. Around it is a building site right now though as they're giving the hotel beside it a major refurbishment.

I also heard they're gonna spend a lot of money on the ski slopes and facilities when the hotel's done.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Par72

Is there any particular day or time that is best to go at?

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

A word of warning - you are skiing on a dry slope. The ground is harder, and that means your risk of injury is much higher. Falls on snow that would just injure your pride can actually break bones here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

It's always best to go before January/Febuary to gurantee your place and before the crowds start going before their ski trip. I always go at night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Par72

Thanks for the info folks. Seems like it has a bad rep for injuries, kinda putting me off.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

Any stories? I suspect that injuries could be a problem alright, and I have heard a couple of horror stories (but they could be just totally made up, 4th hand garbage).

I didn't want to quote any stories I heard as hard 'facts'.

At the end of the day, the ski-lovers go to pistes. Dry slopes probably attract a much higher proportion of beginners & intermediates-in-training (people with one holiday under their belt). So incidents of injury will be higher anyway, and compounded by the unforgiving ground.

Advertisement