Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold callers

Options
  • 04-02-2007 1:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this is the correct place to post this so move if need be mods.

On the radio recently there was a discussion about cold callers, you know the people who constantly phone about offering a better/cheaper service for phone/broadband or insurance or whatever.They said on the show that there was a site where anyone could basically go and opt out of this simply by giving your details/phone number etc and it would then be illigal for these companies to phone.Has anyone any idea's what this site is called?
    I can handle a cold caller, but for the last month at least I have been getting a call every morning at 9.30. I work nights usually and am woken by this call every morning and usually can't get back to sleep, I don't answer the call, mainly because the phone is downstairs and the call back function from eircom doesn't seem to register the number.Anyway, it's driving me nuts and ruining my rest so any help apprecaited.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭LundiMardi

Why not just mute your phone until you get up?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

LundiMardi wrote:
    Why not just mute your phone until you get up?
    Why should he? If someone is calling to his door every day at 9.30, should he take the batteries out of the doorbell? If they knock on the door every day, should he get a builder in to install a soundproof door? If they stand in front of him shouting all the time, should he live in a booth?

Your comment is much akin to the old "why don't you just delete the spam" nugget, despite the fact that it's flooding the network with garbage and thus having a direct affect on costs to network providers, and thus costs to consumers. Not to mind the plain inconvenience of it all, as in this case.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

Thanks lads, didn't know it was as easy as telling eircom.

dahamsta wrote:
    Why should he? If someone is calling to his door every day at 9.30, should he take the batteries out of the doorbell? If they knock on the door every day, should he get a builder in to install a soundproof door? If they stand in front of him shouting all the time, should he live in a booth?

Your comment is much akin to the old "why don't you just delete the spam" nugget, despite the fact that it's flooding the network with garbage and thus having a direct affect on costs to network providers, and thus costs to consumers. Not to mind the plain inconvenience of it all, as in this case.

adam
    Yeah, or, instead of bitching, you could just mute it, it only takes all of 1 second, then you can sleep soundly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

answer the call tomorrow morning. Find out who the caller is. Politely ask them not to call again. If they do report them to the Data Protection people. You can find them on www.irlgov.ie. Alternatively ignore it and they will stop after about 2 months.

LundiMardi wrote:
    Yeah, or, instead of bitching, you could just mute it, it only takes all of 1 second, then you can sleep soundly.
    If you don't "bitch" and you let one scutbucket marketing tosser get away with it, then they all think they can get away with and they ring at all times of the day and night. Then the mute button won't be any good to anyone. Try putting more than three seconds thought into your answers.

dahamsta wrote:
    If you don't "bitch" and you let one scutbucket marketing tosser get away with it, then they all think they can get away with and they ring at all times of the day and night. Then the mute button won't be any good to anyone. Try putting more than three seconds thought into your answers.
    1.... 2.... 3.... 4.... Why wouldn't the mute button work? If you press it, then you won't hear a thing. Hey presto.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭catch--22

LundiMardi wrote:
    1.... 2.... 3.... 4.... Why wouldn't the mute button work? If you press it, then you won't hear a thing. Hey presto.

I think the posters' query....and the reason he posted here....was to find out how to stop them calling in the first place....NOT how to stop his phone from ringing!

LundiMardi wrote:
    Presto indeed, if you don't want any phone calls. You're not the brightest, are you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,075 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I told Eircom about 18 months ago that I didn't want any more calls from their cold-call squad. They never contacted me when I was a customer, ubless they were telling me that I was going to be cut off for not paying one of their "Large" bills. I couldn't equate the smarmy friendliness and concern of the cold-callers as I was only used to the misery that they had subjected me to before.

They apparently removed my number from their list and said that I would never hear from them again. However, they must have put it back on as they were been trying to speak to me again. I have apparently been removed from their list again!

The number that appears on the phone is 01800207407, so if you see this, just leave it, unless you want to have a go at someone!

With a lot of companies, if you contact them in any way, shape or form, they'll add you back onto their lists. They seem to view any form of contact as an implicit opt-in; it's something that needs to be addressed by the Data Protection Commissioner. It took a hefty combination of emails, phone calls and letters to Dell to get them to stop sending me their sh*te.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 14,958 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Karoma wrote:
    Exactly what I came in here looking for.

As for all the bitching; maybe some people leave their phone on in case of emergencies and don't particularly want to be woken by someone looking to sell them something.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

I contacted eircom about 6 months ago and told them to register my preference not to receive cold calls (they're my provider). They told me it would take about a month before the calls stopped completely. Nobody's tried to sell me anything in ages! It's great. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,075 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

ejmaztec wrote:
    I told Eircom about 18 months ago that I didn't want any more calls from their cold-call squad. They never contacted me when I was a customer, ubless they were telling me that I was going to be cut off for not paying one of their "Large" bills. I couldn't equate the smarmy friendliness and concern of the cold-callers as I was only used to the misery that they had subjected me to before.

They apparently removed my number from their list and said that I would never hear from them again. However, they must have put it back on as they were been trying to speak to me again. I have apparently been removed from their list again!

The number that appears on the phone is 01800207407, so if you see this, just leave it, unless you want to have a go at someone!

Over a month down the line, and after a mouthfull of abuse from me, the buggers are ringing me again. Fortunately for them, I've been away from the phone when they've tried. Perhaps the last person that I verbally abused couldn't take another day on this planet, ran screaming to the 10th floor office window and jumped. I'm curious now and am looking forward to being by the phone next time I see their number appear.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Looby_Loo

Ive been getting these for the last few mornings at 9.30 too. :mad:
    They always seem to hang up just as I get to the phone- must contact Eircom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭LolaDub

Your phone provider has an obligation to register your preference not to receive these calls. You should be asked when you sign up originally and you should be able to change your preference at any time. I would call them and ask for it in writing that they had done this through post or e mail. There is nothing more annoying than racing to the phone to hear a telemarketers voice! Recently i answered the phone to someone in england wanting to know about mc donalds and other fast food, said it would take 5 mins and i would be compensated. Even though i very rarely eat in mc donalds it took 20 mins and my compensation?-a free big mac!:rolleyes:

I don't understand why companies think its a good way to advertise, surely they must know when we receive these calls we get turned right off the company in question?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭evil-monkey

LundiMardi wrote: »

and say the hospital needs to contact him cos some relative was in an accident.

in all fairness, he came on to ask a perfectly straight question and all he gets is abuse. he shouldn't be forced to mute his phone!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement