Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your College?

Options
  • 04-02-2007 9:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭

Sorry IT people, you gotta take a rain check on this one.

College folk, where is your preferred university?

Which university? 59 votes

University of Dublin
    0% 0 votes
    University College Dublin
    32% 19 votes
    Dublin City University
    18% 11 votes
    University College Cork
    10% 6 votes
    University of Limerick
    18% 11 votes
    NUI, Galway
    11% 7 votes
    NUI, Maynooth
    8% 5 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭md99

The first choice is actually Trinity, by the way, and yes I did that deliberately.

take that you 600-pointer b******s!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

limerick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Pure Cork

More than likely UCD or CIT :D But I wouldn't rule out anywhere just yet i.e. UL, UCC, TCD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

My first on my CAO is TCD, UCD is also on it. I might be swaying towards DIT though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Haven't a Clue

DCU. I was there for the open day and it was class. Eddie Hobbs was there the next week as well. HOW COULD I NOT LOVE IT?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

md99 wrote:
    The first choice is actually Trinity, by the way, and yes I did that deliberately.

take that you 600-pointer b******s!

Thats it's names. Whats your point.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Dcu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Haven't a Clue

DCU's got class sports facilities too. I counted 10 astro-turf pitches when I was there. They won the Sigerson Cup there last year, or the year before too...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭geminilady

University of Ulster, Jordanstown!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I fell in love UCC at the open day (well not literally of course)...

But I'll be going to CIT instead because that is where my course is.

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

trinity ucd and dcu are all on my cao but i really dont wanna go to any of them! im a DIT kinda gal!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

TCD, ftw.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Why is the U.C.D. option italicised? I suppose it's because we're a cut above the rest:cool: ;)

Why is the U.C.D. option italicised? I suppose it's because we're a cut above the rest:cool: ;)

It's because you voted for it. For me, UCC is italicised.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭GretchenWieners

mary i, it's part of UL

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Marshy

Maybe in your completely distorted perception of things.

*cough* ignore marshys post, just looking for attention *cough*

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Boston wrote:
    Thats it's names. Whats your point.

It's full name is Provost, Fellows and Scholars of the College of the Holy and Undivided Trinity of Queen Elizabeth near Dublin. Bahaha!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Dublin Institute of Technology:)

It's full name is Provost, Fellows and Scholars of the College of the Holy and Undivided Trinity of Queen Elizabeth near Dublin. Bahaha!

No it isn't
    It's University of Dublin, Tirinity College.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

That's not what Wikipedia says.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Boston wrote:
    No it isn't
    It's University of Dublin, Tirinity College.
    No it isn't :p.

The University is a separate entity to the College. The College has a Provost, the University has a Chancellor. The College's official name, as per the Letters Patent of Elizabeth signed March 3 1591, is the College of the Holy and Undivided Trinity of Queen Elizabeth near Dublin.

But the College, despite being a separate entity, the mother of the university, is essentially the same thing as the University. Thus on the website and your exam papers etc., you'll have University of Dublin, Trinity College.

Corruptedmorals, the ownership of the College is entrusted the Provost, the Fellows and the (Foundation) Scholars of the College. The Provost is essentially the President. The Fellows are the highest academic staff, awarded Fellowship in recognition of their academic achievements. The Scholars are students who have been awarded Scholarship by achieving a First in the specific exams they opt to take. There are about 300 of these. Foundation Scholars are limited by statute to seventy in number, so these seventy are spread among the different departments fairly equally, roughly equaling three per year per faculty. Scholars receive free rooms on campus, with free three-course meals in the evening, and a few other benefits.
    Why is the U.C.D. option italicised? I suppose it's because we're a cut above the rest
    Well done. It's because you voted for it. I'm sure you're proud you noticed this, and that you're a cut above us. Just like you're ahead of us in the World University Rankings and the Times Higher Education Supplement leagues. Oh wait, UCD(D) aren't, are they? :D.

That's not what Wikipedia says.
    The body corporate is not the same as the name.

University_of_Dublin%2C_Trinity_College.png

View the name: Collegium Sanctae et Individuae Trinitatis Reginae Elizabethae juxta Dublin

College of the Holy and Undivided Trinity of Queen Elizabeth near Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Thats Interesting, seriously I am not being sarcastic.
    Thanks for sharing that:)

Ibid, I remember these arguments about semantics. You enrol @ the university of Dublin, trinity college.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

UL is definetly mu 1st choice but wouldnt mind DCU

lol

I'm not gonna get the points for my course at trinity, might as well enjoy the cracks about it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Marshy

md99 wrote:
    *cough* ignore marshys post, just looking for attention *cough*
    Come on lets let bygones be bygones(that means to forget one's former differences). No, I'm only joking! Which trinity course did you choose? I'm looking to do BESS.

Boston wrote:
    Ibid, I remember these arguments about semantics. You enrol @ the university of Dublin, trinity college.
    So do I. To paraphrase yourself, that's like being a member of a House of the Oireachtas, Dáil Éireann.

If it's not the case, could you please explain the Latin around the College Crest?

The College is called the College of the Holy and Undivided Trinity of Queen Elizabeth near Dublin, often simply called Trinity College, Dublin.

The University is called the University of Dublin.

They are distinct entities. Collectively, they are called the University of Dublin, Trinity College.

The University does not really do anything but award degrees, and its degrees are awarded on merit of its exams.

The College has thousands of students. The College's students eventually receive the University's degrees. They then become alumni of both.

The original charter, the Elizabethan charter of 1592, proclaimed its purpose to establish the "College of the Holy and Undivided Trinity of the Most Serene Queen Elizabeth near Dublin", changed two paragraphs later to remove the "Most Serene" bit. The Charter of Charles I referred to the College as same. If you want me to email you the English translations, PM me your address.

That's the College view. Here's statute's:
    "the College" means the College of the Holy and Undivided Trinity of Queen Elizabeth near Dublin established by the Foundation Charter of 1592, and shall be held to include the University of Dublin save where the context otherwise requires in accordance with the charters and letters patent relating to Trinity College;

Alright? :)

• Advertisement

Marshy wrote:
    Maybe in your completely distorted perception of things.
    Oh and lose the attitude by the way. Just because you're getting into Trinity does not make you superior to anyone. Especially if you do BESS; you will be looked down on within Trinity if you do BESS.

Yeah the attitude thing is a bit of a laugh but it doesn't actually exist in Trinity anymore and you'll do yourself a lot of favours if you learn that sooner rather than later.

Advertisement