Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Has women independence created an imbalance in relationships?

• 04-02-2007 11:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭vorbis

This is not meant as a sexist post. Heck it may only apply to America. (where I currently live) In pre equality times, my guess is that the dating scenario existed like this, the woman gave sex and the guy gave security. Broad generalisation I know.

Nowadays, most girls have the security part through a job. This seems to allow girls to do whatever they want in terms of guys. A reasonably attractive girl (we're not even talking hot here) is sorted in todays society. I have no issue with promiscious girls (its been good to me:D) :D I have issue with the fact that I put forward my best foot on dates and they put forward whatever foot they like.

I've had girls tell me about drug habits on first dates. They've talked about eating disorders, family breakups, depression :eek: . All topics that if a guy talked about would lead to them being described as a weirdo. In some cases, I might stay around if I think I'm going to get some action (shallowness on my part I admit). However, it bugs me that a girl can display appalling behaviour and still get some guy fawning over her.

I know this girl who is currently about 40 pounds overweight. She was engaged when she was a further 70 pounds overweight! Now she's a nice girl but at 110 pounds overweight I struggle to see how her ex fiancee saw her attractive. I fully accept though that I could be displaying bitterness in this post at not scoring tonight.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

vorbis wrote:
    I fully accept though that I could be displaying bitterness in this post at not scoring tonight.

lol :p

Interesting post. I guess everybody isn't as into looks as yourself!

I, myself, am :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭LundiMardi

I currently know 2 of what you would call ''dawgs'' who are are engaged. Now, i don't really care, sure it boggles my mind but obviously not their significant others. As Dave says, not everyone is into looks.

I'm not surprised that they're engaged because they're ''dawgs'', but more so because they're both fúcking muppets.

Actually, you know what pisses me off, when you go on a date with a girl and they complement other males right in front of you... WTF is that about???? That's not dating etiquette as far as i'm concerned, for both parties. I'd never do that myself, i'd consider it dating suicide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

vorbis wrote:
    I've had girls tell me about drug habits on first dates. They've talked about eating disorders, family breakups, depression :eek: . All topics that if a guy talked about would lead to them being described as a weirdo.

I think you're looking a gift horse in the mouth right there. That sort of honesty right off the bat is something to be admired. Better than dating someone for a few months before you find out they're a bunny boiler.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭daiixi

The talking about depression, eating disorders, drug habits is just weird. Although they simply might not actually be interested in you and trying to put you off without actually telling you they're not interested. /edit: actually Karl could be right also - some people just might be happy to be honest!

As for looks, well what I find attractive is completely different to what you might find attractive. I've had a couple of ex's who people have looked at and asked me what exactly I find physically attractive about them. Also, there are things about some people that I find really hot when faced with another person with the same attribute I find it repulsive.

As to the actual question in the title, no. There's always been an imbalance in relationships it's just that it may now have swung in favour of women.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,654 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

yes there is a massive imbalance and it needs to change. women's function over the centuries have changed rapidly over the past 50 years and our DNA/genetics cant keep up.

take housework for example. Women are now getting jobs leaving husbands, boyfriends etc having to cook and clean in the house. But a man does not necessarily want to clean but in instances does not for the good of his health but because he fears the wrath of the woman or wont get action that nite.

also women havent had time to grasp the concept of not discriminating in the workplace. e.g. a woman will complain if a man has a sexy picture of some girl on his desktop and call him a pervert. however if a woman has a picture of some male pin up, no action will be taken other than telling her to remove it - worst case.

also when it comes to hiring women in management, prefer hiring men, some prefer hiring women.

women are too open about their feelings, which for the most part is a good thing, isnt good on a date. in fact it kills the spark. it results in men then assuming 'oh she's a really nice girl' when in fact she's a self indulgent chatterbox who wants the world to thing she's great cos she gave up smoking or rang the samaritans once.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

:rolleyes:
    the woman gave sex and the guy gave security

ffs so women should all be prositutes and trade sex for a roof over thier head ?
    take housework for example. Women are now getting jobs leaving husbands, boyfriends etc having to cook and clean in the house. But a man does not necessarily want to clean but in instances does not for the good of his health but because he fears the wrath of the woman or wont get action that nite.

IF there are no children and a couple a living together and both working they should share equally the house work and not leave it by default to the woman.
    House work is not womens work it is for everyone living in the house, it was
    considered women's work due to the fact stay at home mother's would try and get the bulk of it done during the day.

This does not excuse the other adult memeber of the house hold from turning thier hand and taking 5 mins to empty the dishwasher instead of saying sod it that is women's work and leaving it.

There are many irish men who can't cook or use a washing machine and would never think to clean the toilet, thankfully this is changing.

There are young women being brought up by mother's who tell them not to be a fool and get stuck at home all day and be left doing all the cleaning.

There are young people ages 20 + who live at home and who's mammy's still do everything in the house as well as working, when it should be a collctive of adults taking turns.

Co habiting adults should work to gether to get things done.

As for dating and sex well have standards and stick with them and yes people are werid and if you don't like how someone is behaving tell them and you can end the date and walk away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭SingingCherry

I have to agree with Thaedydal here. If a date's behavior is making you uncomfortable, then end the date or don't call her again. Why is this a hard concept for you? If you don't like it, don't accept it. But, as Karl said above, honesty isn't bad. She's putting her cards on the table immediately so you can decide if you want to get involved with a person who has problems.

As for the women exchanging security for sex, I am going to assume you were kidding becuase that's just disgusting.

And about the girl who is overweight -- why do you give a **** if she is overweight and some guy wants to marry her? You're not marrying her so don't worry about what other people are doing and worry about yourself more.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,654 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Thaedydal wrote:
    :rolleyes:

Co habiting adults should work to gether to get things done.

the first part of your post up to this point is just confirming what the OP is saying. Working together to get things done isnt as easy as that. see previous posts.

And about the girl who is overweight -- why do you give a **** if she is overweight and some guy wants to marry her? You're not marrying her so don't worry about what other people are doing and worry about yourself more.

maybe he's concerned about her obesity. We all know the toll obesity takes on the health system. Do we want families raising children on the same diets thus further burdening the health care system?

the husband to be should be allowed stipulate to his bride to be that she has to lose x weight before the wedding or alternatively stay under a certain weight to avoid a seperation legal or otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

While an electrical plug and a socket are usually paired together, which is more useful: a plug or a socket?

There's always been an imbalance, and there always will be, sorry man. We need women more than they need us.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭LundiMardi

faceman wrote:
    the husband to be should be allowed stipulate to his bride to be that she has to lose x weight before the wedding or alternatively stay under a certain weight to avoid a seperation legal or otherwise.

You are surely taking the piss aren't you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

vorbis wrote:
    I know this girl who is currently about 40 pounds overweight. She was engaged when she was a further 70 pounds overweight! Now she's a nice girl but at 110 pounds overweight I struggle to see how her ex fiancee saw her attractive.

Desperation.
    faceman wrote:
    Women are now getting jobs leaving husbands, boyfriends etc having to cook and clean in the house. But a man does not necessarily want to clean but in instances does not for the good of his health but because he fears the wrath of the woman or wont get action that nite.

Dunno Faceman, some guys don't mind doing housework, I know I certainly don't. In fact, if my future wife were earning enough to support the whole family well, I'd happily be a stay at home Dad and do all the housework and kid related matters.

Regarding women giving away lots of personal info about themselves on dates, I actually have no problem with it. Find openess and honesty an attractive trait, and if someones displaying that from early on then its a major good point.

However, there is a limit to what can be said, I've had one or two girls absolutely freak me out in the past on dates who subsequently never heard from me again, but if a girl were to tell me that she smokes weed, or suffered from depression during her teens or something, it wouldn't bother me in the slightest, would just consider it nice to see someone can be honest with me and not pretend to be something they're not.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Macker

When in doubt read Bash

<@Chin^&gt; My sister caught me jacking off the other week and calls me a pervert
    <@Chin^&gt; just the other day i walked into my room and caught my sister masturbating
    <@Chin^&gt; So she calls me a pervert again?!?
    <@Chin^&gt; there is no justice in the world...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,311 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Meh. Some guys like fat chicks. I like goths. Its all good. As for women being able to earn the same as a guy, no bother. They can pay the same in the mortgage, then. Women's equality in the work place will never happen, tho. Well, it will when the women can lift the same heavy boxes as the men, but due to difference in average physical strength, that may not happen for another 50 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 398 ✭✭Hydroquinone

vorbis wrote:
    I know this girl who is currently about 40 pounds overweight. She was engaged when she was a further 70 pounds overweight! Now she's a nice girl but at 110 pounds overweight I struggle to see how her ex fiancee saw her attractive. I fully accept though that I could be displaying bitterness in this post at not scoring tonight.

This is the thing that makes me laugh. What sort of nick was this ex-fiance in? Was he, perhaps Brad Pitt's good looking brother? Or was he maybe 200 pounds overweight himself?
    Do you know?

You say she's a nice girl, so maybe this ex-fiance thought that too. And unless you know know for an absolute fact that they broke up because he said she was a porker, I reckon you might need to rethink your attitude.
    You wouldn't find her attractive if she was that much overweight - that's fair enough. Each to his own, no one should have to justify that to anyone else, but its a bit of a leap to say just because you wouldn't, that no one would.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭LadyJ

As for the overweight girl and her fiancee,a wise person once said "If two people go up to the same salad bar,they rarely come back with exactly the same salad".

As for pouring your heart out on a first date,if you don't like it then don't go on a second one. Some people are into that level of honesty right away,others are not so maybe you aren't so compatible.

As for the imbalance issue, you're letting it become an issue. If you don't like the "foot" a girl puts forward then you don't have to put up with it or see her again. Same goes if the woman doesn't like the guy's attitude. I don't see the issue. It's not like you're required to act like a prince and she's supposed to be little miss perfect the first time you go out. Sure,some people will make a serious effort on a first date (man or woman)but some people just won't.

You choose to put your best foot forward on a first date, but it's not like it's the law to do so, for men or women

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

faceman wrote:
    take housework for example. Women are now getting jobs leaving husbands, boyfriends etc having to cook and clean in the house. But a man does not necessarily want to clean but in instances does not for the good of his health but because he fears the wrath of the woman or wont get action that nite

Are you assuming, by the way, that women do want to do housework? Because they don't. They just do it because it needs to be done or you wind up living in squalor which has health ramifications, just in case you didn't know.

As for dates being excessively honest on their first dates, I had one guy explain to me how and why he was suicidal all the time. It was more than just a little surreal given that we'd just come from the cinema where we'd been watching some romantic comedy or other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

American women don't have equality legally, the republicans' managed to prevent the bill being passed.

also;
    faceman wrote:

Dude, the "tradition" of the women's place is in the home has only been around since Victorian times, we should hardly consider it set in stone. ito traditions, this one is almost brand new. /pedant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,644 ✭✭✭✭nesf

IBetter than dating someone for a few months before you find out they're a bunny boiler.

Exactly.

Anyway, OP, it's up to the man to keep his partner pregnant and barefoot in the kitchen. If you see a woman walking around, *shock*, in a suit and voting you can be sure that there's a man out there who simply isn't doing his duty. It's men, not women, who are responsible for dropping the ball on this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

faceman wrote:
    a woman will complain if a man has a sexy picture of some girl on his desktop and call him a pervert. however if a woman has a picture of some male pin up, no action will be taken other than telling her to remove it - worst case.
    Now, this kind of thing does irritate me, though I wouldn't see the workplace as a good example.

However, why can women get away with loudly discussing the fitness / package / etc. of the men around them in the pub / club, on the beach, whatever, but if the guys are overheard commenting on the women, they're a bunch of pervs?

Let's face it, it's perfectly natural for women and men to appreciate a good looking person of the opposite gender (or the same gender, if that happens to be your thing).

Get over it, and stop making us into the bad guys!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

take housework for example. Women are now getting jobs leaving husbands, boyfriends etc having to cook and clean in the house. But a man does not necessarily want to clean but in instances does not for the good of his health but because he fears the wrath of the woman or wont get action that nite

so you want women to stay at home and cook/clean/be a housewife?

yeah, not sexist at all..

all i can say is its never been equal but women's independence is only a good thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

faceman wrote:

"...I want you to want to do the dishes."

"Why would I want to do the dishes?"

nesf wrote:
    Exactly.

Anyway, OP, it's up to the man to keep his partner pregnant and barefoot in the kitchen. If you see a woman walking around, *shock*, in a suit and voting you can be sure that there's a man out there who simply isn't doing his duty. It's men, not women, who are responsible for dropping the ball on this one.

<3

Can I have your next baby ?
    "...I want you to want to do the dishes."

"Why would I want to do the dishes?"

A movie Every bloke should watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Thaedydal wrote:
    <3

Can I have your next baby ?
    It's all those dropped balls, isn't it? :D

It's all those dropped balls, isn't it? :D

Well he already has one and there are sooooo many uses for an unbaptised babe.

Dude, the "tradition" of the women's place is in the home has only been around since Victorian times, we should hardly consider it set in stone. ito traditions, this one is almost brand new. /pedant.

codswallop. Its been that way for alot longer than that. Men have been the tradtional hunters and women stay looking after the family. Its been goin on for so long its become part of our genes. why do you think men are better than sports than women (generally speaking)?

Ergo, our genetic composition isnt yet ready for this shock to the system. Its like getting out of a hot shower on a cold morning. It takes a while to get used to.

faceman wrote:
    codswallop. Its been that way for alot longer than that. Men have been the tradtional hunters and women stay looking after the family. Its been goin on for so long its become part of our genes. why do you think men are better than sports than women (generally speaking)?

Ergo, our genetic composition isnt yet ready for this shock to the system. Its like getting out of a hot shower on a cold morning. It takes a while to get used to.

And yet if a woman seeks out a man with a high earning potential who can utterly support her so she can stay home and keep house, she's a gold digger.

And yet if a woman seeks out a man with a high earning potential who can utterly support her so she can stay home and keep house, she's a gold digger.

as terrible as gold digging is, i totally understand why women do this. It translate to when we were living in caves. Women needed security and would mate with the strongest man etc. nowadays women interpret money as strength, hence why bill gate's wife is hot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

faceman wrote:
    It translate to when we were living in caves.

It's funny - I was just about to post a reply to your post before this with something along the lines of "I don't know many people who live in caves anymore". Hopefully we'll eventually be able to evolve past this last relic of long-past ages.

True equality is going to take a long time. I'd say women have it a lot better now than e.g. the 50s, but we're still far from all the way there yet.

• Advertisement

faceman wrote:

Testosterone. I realise you are probably taking the piss, but not very well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

vorbis wrote:
    This is not meant as a sexist post. Heck it may only apply to America. (where I currently live) In pre equality times, my guess is that the dating scenario existed like this, the woman gave sex and the guy gave security. Broad generalisation I know.

Nowadays, most girls have the security part through a job. This seems to allow girls to do whatever they want in terms of guys. A reasonably attractive girl (we're not even talking hot here) is sorted in todays society. I have no issue with promiscious girls (its been good to me:D) :D I have issue with the fact that I put forward my best foot on dates and they put forward whatever foot they like.

Well, a reasonably attractive guy is sorted too, for he has the security of a job and independence too. If you don't like the way some women don't put their best foot forward, then do not continue dating them.

I've had girls tell me about drug habits on first dates. They've talked about eating disorders, family breakups, depression :eek: . All topics that if a guy talked about would lead to them being described as a weirdo. In some cases, I might stay around if I think I'm going to get some action (shallowness on my part I admit). However, it bugs me that a girl can display appalling behaviour and still get some guy fawning over her.

Well, all that is a matter of opinion. Why fawn over her if you don't like what she talks about? You know, some girls fawn over some guys that display such behaviour, too. Its all a matter of taste.

A sizeable part of society is turning out to be over-weight and in some cases obese. Happens to both guys and girls. Some fellow somewhere probably has a similiar story of beng engaged when 70 pounds overweight.

I don't know. Do you mean OP that males have to try harder to get a beautiful girl now even if they have money, a good job and status/background?

Maybe, maybe not. All you can be is yoursself and if people (men or women) don't like that, then move on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

I think all new homes should have enough space and built in plumbing etc for a dishwasher.
    Then we wouldn't have any problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Lollers at this thread
    However, it bugs me that a girl can display appalling behaviour and still get some guy fawning over her.
    I think this is the central theme in the OP, bitterness that when women can fend for themselves they are no longer dependant on a man.

Rest assured OP, there are still lots of insecure women out there who want nothing more than to fall into traditional roles. Just less of them.

Go on you breadwinner you ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,463 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Imbalance in relationships or bringing them into balance in accordance with social change? Like it or not, society is changing, as are roles between men and women. Adapt and go with the flow, or be an unhappy camper and complain on these boards.

Viva la independence! No longer does a woman with an education and work experience have to suffer a dysfunctional relationship just because she did not have a choice.

The new economics has been one of the driving forces of this change. Dual working couples have been increasing as a percentage of the workforce, where both he and she now have to pull in quite a bit of income to support the mortgage, family, and try to get ahead in this crazy, rapidly changing world.

Gone are the days when both he and she worked their outside the home jobs, then he comes home to sit with a cold one before the telly watching sports, while she now takes up her second job of doing all the domestic work of keeping a home functioning. That's out of balance!

The career-embracing bra-burner in most women gets harshly deflated when you go to the doctor for a repeat prescription for your asthma inhaler, or something equally incongruous, at the age of 29 and the doctor says "Have you thought about having children yet?"

• Advertisement

The career-embracing bra-burner in most women gets harshly deflated when you go to the doctor for a repeat prescription for your asthma inhaler, or something equally incongruous, at the age of 29 and the doctor says "Have you thought about having children yet?"

Are you discriminating against asthmatics now?:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Apart from recent times and even then mostly in the west, most women after the age of puberty were either pregnant or lactating. And just look at what's happened due to the unnatural hormone balance since.

We should go back to the old days, when women did most the food gathering, child minding and working in the fields and we just arsed around having a good time.
    "off hunting with the lads, see ya next week "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Calina wrote:
    As for dates being excessively honest on their first dates, I had one guy explain to me how and why he was suicidal all the time. It was more than just a little surreal given that we'd just come from the cinema where we'd been watching some romantic comedy or other.

I think the point he was making is that if women do it, men have to put up with it (be a good listener, etc.) whereas when guys do it the women is immediately put off. There's plenty of girls who just don't want or need a long-term partner, and its generally harder to impress women than men, who'll put up with a lot more as long if she's hot. But then again, that's the fault of men's shallowness rather than anything else. The women knows damn well the guy is probably only interested in her looks so she can be herself or whatever way she wants, whereas the guy has to try harder to impress her by putting the best side of himself forward.
    However, why can women get away with loudly discussing the fitness / package / etc. of the men around them in the pub / club, on the beach, whatever, but if the guys are overheard commenting on the women, they're a bunch of pervs?

Let's face it, it's perfectly natural for women and men to appreciate a good looking person of the opposite gender (or the same gender, if that happens to be your thing).

Get over it, and stop making us into the bad guys!
    This isn't my experience at all. Most girls will just roll their eyes and laugh when guys do this. Only the real stuck up ones would call them a perv, and they wouldn't be the girls who comment on the fitness/package of guys anyway. So there is little hypocrisy among individual women, in my experience.
    What's your point? I'm sure there is a fairly valid medical reason for asking this question. Do you get offended if a doctor asks you do you do drugs or drink heavily as well?

As for the OP's question, the roles have changed, but the instincts that guide attraction on a subconscious level are the same. Behave as the Alpha Male that would have provided security and all the rest in the past, throw in a few household chores and women will still be subconsciously attracted as if it was the 1800's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

biko wrote:
    I think this is the central theme in the OP, bitterness that when women can fend for themselves they are no longer dependant on a man.

except when a divorce comes along. good luck to the man walking away with half of her stuff... or getting equal custody of the kids.

just thought i'd throw a spanner in the works :)

What's your point? I'm sure there is a fairly valid medical reason for asking this question. Do you get offended if a doctor asks you do you do drugs or drink heavily as well?

I think, and I could have misread her here, that her point was that in their 20s women can hold a mindset of being essentially identical to men when it comes to career mindset, completely focused and dedicated to it, but then around the 30 mark the biological clock starts ticking and the reality of having children while juggling a career hits home.*

*not that a woman should have children or anything but a lot of them do and in all honesty you cannot be solely dedicated to both a career and to having a family.

• Advertisement

nesf wrote:
    *not that a woman should have children or anything but a lot of them do and in all honesty you cannot be solely dedicated to both a career and to having a family.

She can if the other co parent becomes the primary care giver and stays at home or with reduced hours to run the household.
    Any woman could take on any career if they had a 'wife' in the traditional stay at home and be the logistical support sense.

Thaedydal wrote:
    She can if the other co parent becomes the primary care giver and stays at home or with reduced hours to run the household.
    Any woman could take on any career if they had a 'wife' in the traditional stay at home and be the logistical support sense.

It's not really that straightforward. Being pregnant and having to take maternity leave can be crippling in some careers/professions, especially where she'd be self-employed and literally there's no one to cover the day when she goes into labour. It's not so much that she couldn't tackle said career before or after having a child but during the pregnancy that causes the issue. Some jobs lend themselves to maternity leave a lot better than others tbh.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,463 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

nesf wrote:
    It's not so much that she couldn't tackle said career before or after having a child but during the pregnancy that causes the issue. Some jobs lend themselves to maternity leave a lot better than others tbh.
    "He" never gets sick?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭AngryBadger

I think a lot of the men vs women debate is hi-jacked by the hurt/anger of spurned suitors who are going through the essential "I hate all men/women/animals" phase post-relationship. if you actually step back and think about it both sides do a lot of stupid things which are driven by selfish,immature, and frankly stupid impulses.

Example, as a guy I often encounter sexism from females in that half the catalogue of social airs and graces are female-exclusive. As many people have said women can oogle guys as much as they want and it's fine, if men do the same thing we're perverts. Similarly if a guy has many sexual partners he's some kind of legend (:D) if a woman does the same she's often viewed as a slapper.

Thing is,
    1) In many cases there is/was a reasonable historical/biological basis for the roots of what has evolved into the gender imbalances we see nowadays. Taking the obvious issue of gender roles in contemporary society, it made more sense centuries ago for women to be the primary caregivers while men were the primary breadwinners.

Even today if you're part of a family unit intending to have children the same logic applies to an extent. Even with the best support, compromise, and professional flexibility if a couple are having a child the woman is going to be "off the books" for the best part of a year. That's not sexism, that's just how reproduction works for us. In many cases a woman staying at home to mind the kids is a choice she is happy to make, not an obligation imposed by her partner. In that sense there's nothing wrong with a situation where a man is the primary breadwinner while a woman is the primary caregiver. The problem arises where idiots (male and female) bring those roles, or standards into other situations and use them out of context to demean their opposite numbers.

Simple examples are women whining about having to endure child birth and having children in general, attempting to make off like they're heroes for this. To which I have to say "no-one's forcing you to have kids, and if you're stupid enough to have children for any reason other than wanting them then youre not a hero you're a muppet". Similarly when you have guy playing the whole "woman's place is in the home" card, same problem, roles taken out of context with the free will element removed, and used to demean the opposite gender.

2) We all crave stability. We want it in every signel avenue of life, and to that end we embrace idiotic paradigms for every single social interaction. Hence retarded notions like, the man should always make the first move, I have to wait 3 days before calling, and all of this garbage. Women, in my experience, are schooled to think all men want is to get into their pants, and with that in mind their whole social interaction mechanism is geared toward assessing every single thing guys do in a wasted effort to establish some kind of "not a wanker" guarantee. There's a certain amount of acceptable reason to that. Why should anyone put thmselves out there to be disabused by someone else. Problems arise because women do exactly the same thing to men in the process. the sheer amount of disrespect and ignorance doled out by a great many women is mindnumbinly unreal, and it seems they either don't realise what they're doing, or just don't care.

Similarly, men want sex. there's no denying that. Sure guys wil come on here and say "oh I'd prefer a solid relationship over sex blahblahblah" and that's fine. But most guys will happily choose sex over committment. And that's fine, it's perfectly normal, it's how we're wired. We don't need stability/security the way women do. Our biological imperative is to sow oats with abandon. Which obviously creates huge friction because it grates against women's basic need for the kind of security we shun.

Anyway I'm rambling on, and I think I'm wandering off on tangents. I guess my overall point is that any debate about gender imbalances comes down to the stereotypical "us vs them" debate between the genders. And the source of the subsequent imbalances is simply two sets of polarised goals coupled with msot peoples basic immaturity/insecurity.

In fairness, if we were all the informed open-minded people we wish we were then professional status wouldn't factor into social encounters the way it does.

No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

someone said earlier in this thread that men need women more than women need men...i dont believe this is the case any longer. modern women cannot cook, clean or knit. they cannot bake you a pie and they no longer give us something warm to cling to, when nights are cold and lonely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

What a crock of balls. Only the faceman talks sense. Oh, and that project mayhem chap :D

"He" never gets sick?

Eh, of course he does, but so does she. My point is that it's not as easy and straightforward in every profession rather than women can't do them or anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Out of curiosity (someone mentioned it earlier) I wonder what the general reaction from both sexes to a house husband (or whatever the term is) would be.

My guess: many males would think he's been emasculated (read: pussy whipped) and many women would feel threatened or treat him with suspicion.

There never will be equality. Just ask this scientition...

Out of curiosity (someone mentioned it earlier) I wonder what the general reaction from both sexes to a house husband (or whatever the term is) would be.

My guess: many males would think he's been emasculated (read: pussy whipped) and many women would feel threatened or treat him with suspicion.

There never will be equality. Just ask this scientition...

It looks like I'll be the house husband at some point. It makes sense really, I work from home and simu is better qualified than me anyways so her long term prospects are better than mine until I get more qualifications. A lot of men wouldn't be so open to it though, plus you have to look at it sensibly, if his career prospects are better than hers then it makes little sense (financially anyways) for him to stay at home.

• Advertisement
Advertisement