Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gambling forum needs a moderator

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,465 ✭✭✭✭cson

A active mod for the gambling forum is a good idea imo. As jameshayes said the forum has great potential and despite what you may think AlmightyCushion an active mod would be of great benefit to the forum in terms of increasing its popularity. Its that type of forum.

I agree with your point of the users making the forum popular, but a conductor on the users bus wouldn't be a bad idea.

My 2 cents on it. :)

yes.

dont act the bollocks.

I think thats the default charter for every forum ;)

No harm to create one for it though...

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

yes.

dont act the bollocks.
    cson wrote: »
    I think thats the default charter for every forum ;)
    If only more people realised it ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

Agree with the original poster even though he could be dead by now this topic is so old.
    The forum needs a mod as there is a lot of repeated threads and topics that should be merged.
    Also a few sticky topics of weekend gambling opportunities etc wouldnt go astray

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

IrishMike wrote: »
    Agree with the original poster even though he could be dead by now this topic is so old.
    The forum needs a mod as there is a lot of repeated threads and topics that should be merged.
    Also a few sticky topics of weekend gambling opportunities etc wouldnt go astray

All of which can be done up by a user with a pm to the mod with the relevant details. Its about 20 seconds more work then a mod would do. And if you kept backseat moderating the forum they would end up making you a mod anyway to shut you up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭pid()

If ecksor says he is moderating it, then he is moderating it. PM him if you have any issues with something on the forum and use the report post button.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Ziggy you wrote what I was thinking! Also I dont want to be PM'ing the mods everyday about happenings in the forum and asking for this person to banned or this thread to be merged. No doubt they have enough on their plates and sending them a barage of PM's is not going to help either side

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

This is the role of the users. How will making a user that posts there frequently a mod, increase the views a forum gets or promote the forum?

Are you encouraging people to gamble ;)

ziggy wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

There are a few types of backseat modding, creating and asking for stickys, reporting posts that deserve it and keeping a eye on threads staying on topic I would assume are allowed.

Questioning a mods decision constantly would get you a infraction. Does any mod here disagree with this?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

krazy_8s wrote: »
    There are a few types of backseat modding, creating and asking for stickys, reporting posts that deserve it and keeping a eye on threads staying on topic I would assume are allowed. ?

I've seen people banned for doing this in the past. I'm sure there's a few threads here if you search for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

>_>

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

I'd do it. Have been subscribed a good long while and visit daily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭David Michael

6th wrote: »
    Why dont you offer to mod it David, I mean you havent been a mod since back when you had the For Sale gig.

2005 sign up...

Contain your excitment.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

2004 sign up...

Consume your excrement.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

6th wrote: »
    Consume your excrement.

Holy jayzuz!

Lads, i'm still trying to get my head around this.

What is the problem with giving mod status to one of the current active posters.

It hardly takes alot of time / money / effort does it?

jameshayes wrote: »
    Lads, i'm still trying to get my head around this.

What is the problem with giving mod status to one of the current active posters.

It hardly takes alot of time / money / effort does it?

When you make somebody a mod you put them in a position of power over other users. A poster on the gambling forum may be great for it, or he could turn into a biased prick and end up with a lengthy feedback thread about him. See the Terry thread for references on how it can all go wrong.

krazy_8s wrote: »
    When you make somebody a mod you put them in a position of power over other users. A poster on the gambling forum may be great for it, or he could turn into a biased prick and end up with a lengthy feedback thread about him. See the Terry thread for references on how it can all go wrong.

There tends to be a big difference between forums where heated discussions and "debates" (for want of a better word) take place and places like the gambling forum, where there are generally few, if any, reasons for a mod to step in.

Mike65 (i hope you dont mind me using you as an example) is already a mod and a regular poster in the forum.

Problem solved! just put another tag under your name mike and we'll open a bottle of champers!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

PP say 99/1 with handicap.

Mike.

mike65 wrote: »
    PP say 99/1 with handicap.

Mike.

I'll stick that in my accumulator for tonight so.

(We can share the winnings Mike, just take the bloody position!)

I heard stan was looking for a new post - worth a punt

99/1 eh?

I'm giving 10/1 for there to be over 2.5 bannings in the first month. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

cson wrote: »
    99/1 eh?

I'm giving 10/1 for there to be over 2.5 bannings in the first month. :cool:

Ok I'll stick a fifty on that. Now to coherce two other posters into joining me in getting banned on purpose.....

Hey! This ain't the horse racing forum.

:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

This is pretty strange. All of the regular users of the forum seem to want a mod (including myself) and yet those who never use it seem to be stonewalling it. Personally I'd say Mike65 or Bernard Hopkins should get it but I do think we need one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'm actually not looking for a gig (if a vacancy should arise), but I also reckon someone who is regular and willing to put a small bit of effort into directing traffic and encourage
    a bit of forum spirit is needed.

Mike.

I think we should have a charter first and foremost. I know you can say the rules are simple etc etc but imo its simply the principle of just having a charter.

I'll try put a draft one together if I can and post it up here for everyone to discuss? If thats reasonable?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Just post it in the forum, it'd be a better place

Advertisement