Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dunnes rip off tins of Celebrations

Options
  • 27-11-2004 5:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭

I wonder why Dunnes down here in the South charge almost 15 euro for a tin of Celebrations and Dunnes up in the North charge £6.48 for the same size tin(which works out to just over 9 euro). I emailed them about this because I think its very unfair. This was well over a week ago and they haven't replied. :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭BANZAI_RUNNER

well it is dunnes stores , they dont answer to anyone , i gave up complaining to them , i now complain with my wallet and shop at tesco,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Under Irish law it's illegal for a store to sell at below cost. However, I'm not sure if there is a similar law in the UK. I saw a program on BBC the other night which seems to suggest not. Tesco sells books and CDs at below cost (a loss leaded) to bring customers into the store where they will then buy other products, which makes the money.

Perhaps Dunnes are doing the same think in Northern Ireland, selling some products below cost to attract your custom and then you'll stay and buy other thinks (probably at inflated cost).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭lynchie

All boxes of chocolates (roses, celebrations, quality street etc...) are cheaper north of the border. For a family that may buy a couple of boxes of chocolates and biscuits for that matter, a trip to Newry will save you money even after paying for pertrol.

I personally prefer loading up the boot with chocolates, biscuits, beer and wine rather than paying for them in Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Horeb

I buy mine all up North in Sainsburys or even in Jonesborough Market on Sundays you get the Bigger size tins for only 10 euros and the smaller ones for 8.

And they are as good as any supermarket.!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

1.7kg Roses GBP 6.98 Dunnes Stores Cornmarket Belfast

1.7kg Roses EUR 14.99 Dunnes Stores Henry St. Dublin

OVER 50% DEARER IN DUBLIN !!!!!!!1

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

John Rocha Ladies coat GBP 70 Debenhams Castlecourt Belfast
    John Rocha Ladies coat EUR 170 Debenhams Mary St Dublin

OVER 70% DEARER IN DUBLIN

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Kingsize

Dunnes stores better value ? beats me?
    i used to live in the city centre & during the summer developed a taste for those sachets of pre mixed cocktails !!

Dunnes stores henry st €2.99
    Dunnes stores Georges St €4.99

"join my gym these brown envelopes dont fill themselves you know"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Sightly OT but I noticed something last weekend in town.
    For a 1.5kg tin of Roses

Centra (O'Connell St): €14.50
    Henry St/Moore St: €12
    Centra (Donnybrook): €17.45
    Donnybrook Fair: €21.95

North of Border: ~€9

Ireland's not a Rip-Off at all ;)

Advertisement