Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The great toupee debate

• 04-02-2007 2:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭

I was out the other night and got talking to this guy at the table next to me. Anyway after a while I starting noticing there was something not quite right about his barnet. Suddenly it dawned on me and I realised he must have been wearing a small dead animal on his head cos whatever he had there wasn't hair! So I called him on it. I said "So did you buy your wig or is it rented?"

Instead of punching me in the face or running off crying he immediately admitted his follicular handicap to me and so began a conversation about how certain kinds of cosmetic additions are acceptable but others are not. For example wrt to the head alone you can have dentures or contact lenses and no one will bat a plastic concealing eyelid at you, yet get found out sporting a crown-topper and there'll be hell toupee! A lifetime of ridicule awaits you.

So the question for this thread is : why does our furry friend the rug continue to be such a figure of mockery yet other items such as contact lenses or dentures become readily accepted in society?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

I groan at that toupee joke but I like your writing style!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

You need contacts to see and dentures to eat perhaps? Not everyone likes being partially blind or having to eat their food through a straw afterall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

rb_ie wrote:
    You need contacts to see and dentures to eat perhaps? Not everyone likes being partially blind or having to eat their food through a straw afterall.

Yep, I think many would see it as a foolishly vain excercise, as it is not really necessary or effective in most cases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Our manager in work has a toupee. I didn't realise for months - neither did my friend, until one day he casually said 'How is his hair always so perfect?' Someone else then stopped dead in their tracks and gave us a 'How did you not know' speech.

Apparently one day his toupee blew away too - that I would pay to see. As for wearing a toupee though, no big deal in my eyes...

• Advertisement
Advertisement