Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Book Club

Options
  • 04-02-2007 3:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Just wondering if anyone knows of any book clubs in the area, or if anyone might be interested in forming a club?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 42 ADK

Hi,
    I don't know of any book clubs but I would be interested in joining one!

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭wicklowdub

Why not contact the library and see if there already exists what you seek.

Greystones
    Mill Rd, Greystones
    Branch Librarian - Mary Murphy Phone: 01 2873548
    Mon/ Wed/ Fri. & Sat: 10 a.m. - 5 p.m.
    Tues & Thur: 10 a.m. – 8.30 p.m.

http://www.wicklow.ie/LIBRARIES/librariesindex.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Bettyboop

1st tuesday of every month in Greystones Library

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭maidofthemist

Bettyboop wrote:
    1st tuesday of every month in Greystones Library

Unfortunately I work in town and the library is usually closed by the time I get back at night. Nearly everyone seems to read on the Dart so maybe there's room for a Greystones Commuters Book Club -maybe meeting every 6 weeks or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

there's also a literature forum here (under the "arts" category) - you may get some info there from people who have set up something similar.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 49 matti

Unfortunately I work in town and the library is usually closed by the time I get back at night. Nearly everyone seems to read on the Dart so maybe there's room for a Greystones Commuters Book Club -maybe meeting every 6 weeks or so.

Did you find out anything about a book club? I used to read so much when I got DART to work but now drive (unlike some I can't read and drive!!). Miss reading and would love to join book club.

matti wrote:

Did you find out anything about a book club? I used to read so much when I got DART to work but now drive (unlike some I can't read and drive!!). Miss reading and would love to join book club.

Read and drive, eh? Well I can understand how you'd be tempted to try at rush hour ;)

There is a thread on the Literature forum about a book club that meets in town but I'd prefer if I could find one a local one. If there was enough interest it might be worth thinking about forming one ... I think if you have about 6 people that is supposed to be a good number. I had a quick look at how to go about that and found some tips here http://www.book-club.co.nz/bookclubs/tips.htm

Hi
    Had a look at the website and the tips are really good. If enough people were interested I would definitely like to form one...

matti wrote:
    Hi
    Had a look at the website and the tips are really good. If enough people were interested I would definitely like to form one...

Yeah, if we get up to 5 or 6 people over the next few weeks, it might work out. We could try it anyway and see how it goes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Maisy

I'd like to give it a shot too - I could do with cranking up the literary brain cells again - and hey, if it doesn't work out, we can always go to the pub !!! lol

• Advertisement

I'd be interested in joining a book club too. I also get the DART so might as well put my reading time to good use :)

Thats a possible 4 now... just need 1 or 2 more......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Jingle

I'd be interested in joining the book club - just need to dust off the brain cells! Am in the C'land Wood btw

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭dubsgirl

And me! would love to give it a go!

Wow ... I didn't think we'd get so many people together so quickly! It looks like we have enough to give it a try. The tips that I posted a link to above say the first thing is decide on a things like the type of club, where to meet, goals for the group, etc etc.

Maybe we should try to arrange an initial meeting say over a coffee or in the pub or whatever to discuss those things and then we can go from there?

What do you think? And what would anyone's preference be in terms of when and where to meet?

Monday or Wednesday evenings would be good for me but probably not before about 8.00 pm.

Good idea re: the initial meeting - maybe we could meet up in Script first?

Monday or Wednesday nights after 7.30 are good for me.

Monday or Wednesday at 8.00 pm or after would suit me also - I think an initial meeting is a great idea, I had a look at the website and its very good -steers you in the right direction ! I'm open to all ideas and suggestions ! anyways, I am in C'land Park, look forward to meeting fellow "Bookies" !!

after 8 Monday or Wednesday is good for me too...

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭dubsgirl

yes me too, just say when I'll be there.

Yes I can make 8 or after Monday and Wednesday. Script sounds good to me too.

• Advertisement

Sounds like Script might be a good choice for the first meeting anyway. Do you think we should hang on for a week or two and see if we pick up any more interest in the meantime? Say maybe go for Monday 12th or Wednesday 14th March around 8.00?

Either date is good for me - I'll be the one with a copy of the Times under my arm and a red carnation in my lapel lol - we can commandeer a corner to meet in and I will PM my mobile number to maybe yourself maid, to start the ball rolling ?:)

Maisy wrote:
    Either date is good for me - I'll be the one with a copy of the Times under my arm and a red carnation in my lapel lol - we can commandeer a corner to meet in and I will PM my mobile number to maybe yourself maid, to start the ball rolling ?:)

lol ... if you turn up with the Times and a carnation I'll be legging it in case of what the neighbours might think!!

It sounds like a plan is in the making now. Will we settle on Monday 12th March at 8.00 in Script and go with the PM idea to make contact nearer the time?

Hiya. Unfortunately I can't make the 14th. I'm going away on the 13th and will be back on 20th! I'd prefer not to miss the first meeting but if the date suits everyone else I can catch up when I get back!

matti wrote:
    Hiya. Unfortunately I can't make the 14th. I'm going away on the 13th and will be back on 20th! I'd prefer not to miss the first meeting but if the date suits everyone else I can catch up when I get back!

I hope that is a week in the sun! I'm having one of those in April I hope. How about the Monday night - i.e. the 12th? We could go for that instead.

going to new york. never been outside the airport there before so looking forward to seeing a bit more of it! monday night (12th) would be perfect.

lol ... if you turn up with the Times and a carnation I'll be legging it in case of what the neighbours might think!!

It sounds like a plan is in the making now. Will we settle on Monday 12th March at 8.00 in Script and go with the PM idea to make contact nearer the time?

Hmmmm indeed, didn't think of it in that manner ! I was seeing myself as the Spy who Came in From the Cold (to Scripts bar for a hot port !)

The 12th is good for me and as you say, we can send smoke signals nearer the time.

Yes 12th March suits me too, that's great. Looking forward to it!

The 12th's good for me - see you then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭ryecatcher

Hi! Now that it's Mon night I'm free to come along too. See you on the 12th.

Advertisement