Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Book Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭maidofthemist

The weekend's nearly here. Am wondering is everyone still good to go for Monday 12th at 8.00 in Script?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Jingle

Sure thing - will be there for 8.

C u all then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Maisy

Count me in too

• Registered Users Posts: 42 ADK

Yes me too. See you all then!

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭ryecatcher

Yep. Will be there too. What shall we use to find each other? A giant copy of War & Peace on the table?

• Advertisement

I went down to Script this afternoon and they're going to reserve a table for us aka the new Greystones Book Club for 8.00 pm on Monday night. It's the large square low table in the corner of the bar. I guess that's it ... see you on Monday night!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 matti

great. see you all there at 8

First, thank you to everyone who came along last night for the first meeting of the Book Club.
    For those who didn't make it, we picked our first book which is Love in the Present Tense by Catherine Ryan Hyde.

I rang the Village Bookshop this morning (287 3925) and they said they will have it in stock. They wouldn't do a discount for us though - they said there are too many book clubs in the area! Online, Easons have it for for €10.42. Waterstones.com have it for Stg£3.49 and Amazon have it for Stg£3.99.

Our next meeting is on Monday, 2nd April, 8.00 pm, in Script.

We had six people there last night which was a great start and anyone else who is interested is more than welcome to come along on 2nd April.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Check out the "literature" forum, for some tips on where to get books. I use www.abebooks.com - if you buy lots of books from the one seller, it normally works out pretty reasonable.

Just thought I'd bump this up as a reminder about the next meeting on Monday 2nd April at 8.00 pm in Script. Everyone is welcome.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Pompom

Is it too late to join you?

Must I have the book read by Monday? I don't know anything about Book Club ettiquette so you'll have to fill me in!

Thanks!

Pompom wrote:
    Is it too late to join you?

Must I have the book read by Monday? I don't know anything about Book Club ettiquette so you'll have to fill me in!

Thanks!

It is not too late to join - you are very welcome to come along on Monday night. We're still only learning the etiquette ourselves ... or making it up as we go along. If you get a chance to read the book - or start it anyway - it would be good as we'll be discussing the book and then we'll probably pick one for the next meeting.

The next meeting of the Book Club is on Monday 23rd April at 8.00 pm in Script and the book this time is "Eleanor Rigby" by Douglas Coupland.

Hi everyone,

The shortlist for this year's Impac award has been released, thought you might be interested.

It can be found at:

http://www.rte.ie/arts/2007/0404/impac.html

Looking forward to our next meeting, see you soon :)

The next meeting of the Book Club is on Monday 23rd April at 8.00 pm in Script and the book this time is "Eleanor Rigby" by Douglas Coupland.

I've tried quite a few bookshops to get this book but none have it in stock! I've been really busy at work over the last few weeks and haven't been around much during shop opening times! Its a bit cheeky I know, but if any of you have finished the book would you mind if I borrowed it so I can read it before Monday? then I'll start buying them on the internet!!

matti wrote:
    I've tried quite a few bookshops to get this book but none have it in stock! I've been really busy at work over the last few weeks and haven't been around much during shop opening times! Its a bit cheeky I know, but if any of you have finished the book would you mind if I borrowed it so I can read it before Monday? then I'll start buying them on the internet!!

I ordered mine on the Internet (Cd Wow) and it took ages. It only arrived on Tuesday. If I get it finished tonight or tomorrow I'll pm you!!

Can anyone remember what we decided about choosing the next book? Was it to bring a list of 3 or 4 that we've already read to recommend?

thanks maidofthemist, but panic over! my sister found it in town today (took 3 different shops around Grafton St) so I can start it tomorrow! i'm a fast reader but not sure if I'm that fast! I think we decided that we would all pick 2 books and try to 'sell' them. You don't have to have read them - I think its better if you haven't! Thanks again and see you Monday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Jingle

May 14th Meeting
    The next meeting of the Book Club is on Monday 14th May at 8.00 pm in Script. The book this time is "The Interpretation of Murder' by Jed Rubenfield.

Just bumping this thread up as a reminder for Monday's meeting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 rickoshay

Hi there, just joined from the Grove. A book club is a great idea except not too high browe please as I,m an ok reader and love to meet funny ( ha Ha ) people who don,t take life tooo seriousely. No I,m not a teenager but I possess 2 of them and they are fun. Life is never boring here even though we,v just arrived.

• Advertisement

The next meeting is on Monday 28th May at 8.00 pm in Script. Our numbers were down a bit last night so we thought we'd hold the next meeting a bit sooner. We picked is John Banville's "The Sea". It is about 200 pages so a bit shorter than the last one! It won the Man Booker Prize.

rickoshay wrote:
    Hi there, just joined from the Grove. A book club is a great idea except not too high browe please as I,m an ok reader and love to meet funny ( ha Ha ) people who don,t take life tooo seriousely. No I,m not a teenager but I possess 2 of them and they are fun. Life is never boring here even though we,v just arrived.

Hi rickoshay. You should come to Mondays meeting if you can, see if its what you're after.

We're not the only ones thinking about the Booker prize!! I don't know what the books are, but Paddy Power has a list of authors and odds. Banville is on the list at 6/1 today. Here is a link http://www.paddypower.com/bet?action=go_type&category=SPECIALS&ev_class_id=45&ev_type_id=1169&promo=nov_TheBookerPrize&crea=lnk

The book chosen for this week is Star of the Sea by Joseph O'Connor and the next meeting is 18th June.

We were trying to come up with a better way of choosing the books so this week, each person there picked one book, and we 'picked it from a hat'. Going forward we were thinking either we could do a vote on here - if each person posts one book, we can all vote on it here and that will be it - or one person picks say 3 books and everyone else can vote on the night - we would all take it in turns to pick the books. I am not sure if we decided one way or the other tonight, but maybe you could post your opinions and we can work something out.

The other three books put forward tonight were:

1. On Green Dolphin Street by Sebastian Faulks
    2. A Prayer for Owen Meaney by John Irving
    3. The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini

If you want to nominate a book for the next time, add it to the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭dubsgirl

Not in the book club, but do plan on joining! The Kite Runner is one of the best books I have ever read though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Serephina

Hi Girls. I really enjoyed Monday Night! Have ordered the book we picked and can't wait to start reading it. In the meantime, I picked up Bird Song to keep me going.

Welcome to Boards Serephina! I haven't managed to get the book yet, am nearly finished The Sea though:o Would definitely like to read the Kite Runner as well.

The next book club meeting is in Script on Monday 9th July at 8.00 pm. The book for this meeting is "The Kite Runner" by Khalid Hosseini.

Here's a bit of what the publisher's website says about it:

Over 8 million people have read international bestseller, The Kite Runner. This astonishing first novel won the Penguin/Orange Readers’ Group Prize 2006 and was selected for BBC Page Turners 2005. A major DreamWorks film of The Kite Runner is due in 2007.

Unfolding against Afghanistan’s destructive history, from the fall of the monarchy to the oppression of the Northern Alliance and the advent of the Taliban, The Kite Runner is a story of fathers and sons, friendship and betrayal, and the casualties of fate.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Sparks115

Hi Guys, I am not a member either but I think I will join as I read "The Kite Runner" 2 weeks ago after reading here about it and OH MY GOD its amazing. Its is a fantastic read and I couldnt put it down and very moving . I have to say one of the most beautifully written books I have ever read. So thanks to the book club for the recommendation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Serephina

Hello Ladies. Finished the Kite Runner lastnight and it was one of the best books I have read in a long time. Bad news is that I won't be able to make the meeting next Monday as we are going on holiday for a week. I'm gutted because I enjoyed it so much and would love the chance to discuss.:( I'm really sorry. Hope to make the next one!

Advertisement