Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Book Club

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 42 ADK

Hi Serephina, I haven't got very far with the book yet so can't comment too much but have heard wonderful things so am looking forward to getting into it. Better get a move on actually :eek:
    Hope to see you at the meeting after next and hope you have a great holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭maidofthemist

Enjoy the hols Serephina. I hope you're headed somewhere with a bit more sun than we've had so far.

Just bumping the thread up as a reminder for Monday. I'm only at about page 30 so far so I guess I should log off and get reading :rolleyes:

The next meeting of the book club is Monday 30th July at 8pm in Script and the book is The House of the Spirits by Isabelle Allende

If anyone hasn't been before and fancies seeing what we're all about, you would be more than welcome to come along, no problem if you haven't read the book of the week.

Apologies if any new members turned up for the last meeting only to find that Script had closed for business. We decamped to the Burnaby instead. The book on the agenda was House of Spirits (Isabelle Allende) but as none of us had finished it we decided to put it on our list again for the next time.

Next meeting of the Book Club is in the Beach House on Monday 20th August at 8.00 pm. As well as House of Spirits, we've also chosen Redemption Falls by Joseph O'Connor.

If you haven't been before and you'd like to join us, you're more than welcome. You'll spot us in the Beach House by the fact that we probably have a couple of books with us!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,937 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Apologies if any new members turned up for the last meeting only to find that Script had closed for business...

?? has Script closed?

• Advertisement

Script was definitely closed the night we had our last meeting.

Bumping the thread up as a reminder about the new venue (Beach House) for the meeting on Monday 20th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 matti

Hi maidofthemist. Was talking to the others and we are all a lil less than half way through the book! How are you getting on with it? Just wondering if you would like to postpone meeting until the following week? Or we could meet anyway.... there is the other book too (which I might not have started yet...might leave that one for the holidays next month) BTW, its been voted my turn to nominate a book this time (could be interesting!!). Let us know what you want to do....

Hi Matti

I don't mind either way about Monday. I finished House of Spirits but I'm making heavy weather of Redemption Falls - it's just not grabbing me and I'm not sure if I am going to persevere with it ... I'm happy to go for the 27th if that suits everyone else?

I'll pm you a mobile number and you can just let me know what you guys decide.

And the book is

n144996.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭ryecatcher

Hello bookies - Monday 1st is our next meeting and I'm just wondering if anyone would like to do something a bit different for this one - there's a film playing at the Mermaid theatre in Bray called, Water - it's an Indian film and apparently very good.

Set in the 1930s in the Indian holy city of Varanasi, Deepa Mehta’s long-awaited new film examines the plight of a group of widows forced into poverty at a temple, in particular, the beautiful, headstrong Kalyani, unwilling to accept the harsh restrictions imposed by Indian society on widows.

A magnificent film. The ensemble acting of the women in the widows’ hostel is exceptional: intimate, painful, wounded, jaundiced, corrupted, tender, tough. -Salman Rushdie.
    Language: Hindi / subtitled
    117 Minutes

Thought we could check it out and then discuss the book -and film!- over a pint? Let me know what you think cos we'd need to book tickets in advance (I could do this if you want). PM or post here! Either way, see you all on Monday.
    K

• Advertisement

Well the film was amazing. Sorry to those who missed it. As not many were able to go last night, may I propose that next Monday, Oct 8th is the next club night? I think we might have a couple of new members too. Was thinking of Collie's pub in Willow Grove for next venue! Hope everyone can make it.

Sounds good to me. See you all next Monday

Sorry I missed the film last week - I think I might be okay for Monday 8th but I don't know where Willow Grove is. Can anyone tell me the way to the pub?!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 matti

Hey maidofthemist. If you drive through Delgany towards the N11 north bound, instead of merging with N11, take the left turn off the slip road. Collies is at the top of the hill on the left. Se you there monday at 8...

Hi all, The next book club meeting is on Friday 14th December in The 3 Q's restaurant at 7.30 and the book is The Book of Lost Things by John Connolly. Hope to see you all there :)

My last info posted was a little incorrect, the book is the same but the meeting is in the 3Qs Friday December 14th at 9 and beforehand in the Burnaby at 8. See you there.

Just a reminder of tomorrow's night out at 3Qs. See you all then! Bring along one suggestion of a 'classic' for the next book to read.

Hi all,
    Our next meeting is in Script on Friday 18th January at 8pm.

The book is The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway

Just a reminder that the next meeting is this Friday evening at 8 in the Woodlands / aka Script.
    Anyone with a new year's resolution of meeting locals and/or reading more, please come along! You don't need to have read the book. All welcome.
    See you then.

Hello - the next book is 'The Red Queen' by Margaret Drabble and we're meeting on Weds Feb 6th at 8pm in the Beach House.
    All welcome!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,067 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Is this club still going?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Hi, yes still going strong. The next meeting is Monday May 12th at 8pm in Dan's (the snug is perfect!). Because it's a long gap since the last meeting, we're reading 2 books - Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides and Notes from an Exhibition by Patrick Gale.
    If you'd like any more details, you can pm me. Would love to see new faces. If you don't get a chance to read either of the books, come along anyways!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 maximusk

Hi there, this is the same question but nearly five months later - is the book club still meeting on Mondays? Are you guys open to new members? Thanks :-)

Advertisement