Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taxi Dublin Airport

Options
  • 04-02-2007 5:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

Arrived home to Dublin airport, had a lot of bags and we were directed to this japanese import people carrier, an oldish grey haired man emerged trying to pawn us off to another car...we insisted we were directed to him so he unwillingly took us on our travels..........after dropping us off I asked him his fare to which he said 10 euro 20 cent - its a rip off for the 15 min journey but thats the average price so I paid it to which he sarcastically said "Here YOU have that 20 cent back" - the price on the meter is the price to be paid, they get enough money as it is so there's no need for this attitude - he was very ignorant and ungrateful, why not finance a taxi driver who really appreciates his fares and his customers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

You get good and bad; I suppose they're like everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

What do you mean by directed to? Do you not just take the next available car at the rank?

He charged you less than the metered fare and you're complaining about it?

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I don't think boards is the place to "out" a taxi driver whose attitude you didn't like. The correct place would be found here.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

genfoley wrote:
    the price on the meter is the price to be paid
    It's perfectly acceptable for the driver to reduce the meter price.

Did you bring your complaint to http://www.taxiregulator.ie/ ? It's a bit unfair to give a taxi number here without giving him a opportunity to defend himself. €10.20 for a 15 minute journey from the airport doesn't seem excessive. Maybe you could give the approximate destination, time of day/night and number of passengers to clarify fare?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

Depending on the number of passengers and bags it is hard to form an opinion but were the taxi driver to come on here and give your address as a bad passenger would that be in order.

Coming on a board in self righteous indignation over a 10 euro cab fare is rater excessive. Can you give us some details of the route you took, the number of passengers/bags the cabbie took and was he "assigned" rather than just being the next cab in line due to the number of bags.

You are making a serious and possibly unfair accusation so have the balls to justify your stance.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

€10 is bloody good for Dublin, you have no cause for complaint.

were it €100 then maybe .

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

If that's the worst experience you've ever had with a taxi driver you should consider yourself very lucky.

I really don't see what you're moaning about. I live close to the airport too, but the fares are always steep due to charges for baggage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

I make plenty of 15 minute journeys that cost ten Euro, doesn't seem excessive.

Heinrich wrote:
    Depending on the number of... ... and bags
    the fares are always steep due to charges for baggage
    :confused: The number of bags is irrelevant as luggage charges have been abolished since September 2006and therefore it would be illegal to apply them.

I haven't flown since September, so I hadn't noticed.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Thread title changed.

Dub13

:confused: The number of bags is irrelevant as luggage charges have been abolished since September 2006and therefore it would be illegal to apply them.

If 4 persons have two bags each the total of 8 bags would not fit into a saloon car.

If that were the case (pun intended) the the larger taxi would be required. The insurance might be higher on a vehicle with extra seating so that might influence the number of bags or something.

Wish I were a monkey so I could do some serious nitpicking. :D

Heinrich wrote:
    larger taxi would be required. The insurance might be higher on a vehicle with extra seating so that might influence the number of bags or something
    The size of the taxi is irrelevant. The meter rates in a one litre taxi is no different from the meter rates in a 5 litre.

The size of the taxi is irrelevant. The meter rates in a one litre taxi is no different from the meter rates in a 5 litre.

YAWN

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

when i used to work in the airport i'd occasionally get taxi drivers try to refuse to take me as i only lived in finglas

basically the way they look at it is that they've been waiting in the kesh (airport taxi car pak que thing) for the best part of 1-2 hours and they want a good fair , but thats the luck of the draw

they also like to get tourists so they can give them a good old welcome to the country and rip em off no end - this much i know for a fact as countless taxi drivers have told me this

That's true. They f*cking hate it when I say I'm only going as far as Coolock.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

That driver sounds alright. He gave you money BACK... alright with a face on, but.... and the fare sounds alright to me. You caught him on a bad day, but he drove you, and didnt rip you off.

O/T I paid £50 to a taxi driver in the UK because we got stuck in traffic and the meter was going tick..tick.. And I had to listen to the guy rant and call everyone from the other drivers, pedestrians, his wife and kids.. 'bastids' because he wanted to get home for his tea :D Now thats a bad attitude!

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭genfoley

~Folks

I'm not complaining about the COST of the journey, I'm complaing because he got narked coz I didnt give him any extra tip on top of the price stated on the meter.........the price on the meter is the price you pay, we shouldnt be bullied into having to put a few euro extra onto the price that's all Im saying calm down everyone will ye - take a chill pill !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

genfoley wrote:
    ~Folks

I'm not complaining about the COST of the journey, I'm complaing because he got narked coz I didnt give him any extra tip on top of the price stated on the meter.........the price on the meter is the price you pay, we shouldnt be bullied into having to put a few euro extra onto the price that's all Im saying calm down everyone will ye - take a chill pill !

You said it was a rip-off! And your original thread title gave his number and told people to avoid him, that's hardly calm.
    And you never said anything about him looking for a tip? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 sweeney169

Mr Foley, You had no business revealing this man's roof sign number here. At the least, you have libelled this driver by advising passengers to avoid him. If you have a complaint about a driver this is not the place to reveal licence numbers. This man may suffer a loss in income due to his licence number being bandied about on a public forum. As nearly 700 people have viewed your post, this driver could suffer considerable loss in income. I have saved your post with a view to passing it on to the driver in question. Better get yourself a good barrister.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

I think publically threatening someone on boards with legal action is an automatic site ban (afair). Also he would have to prove actual loss based on the post, which incidently you should of just reported to boards and they would of nuked it sooner.

In relation to the post, tbh the Taxi driver sounded ok if a bit sarcastic. The price sounds correct for the journey. As long as you got a printed receipt you should be fine and if any issues take it up with the carriage office.

Not even in the realm of some of the horror stories I or my friends have had with airport taxis.

As for local journeys I normally just go upstairs to arrivals and pick up a taxi thats dropping off. Less chance of a driver moaning about how your ripping them off by only wanting to go 5-10 mins down the road.

Hobbes wrote:
    I normally just go upstairs to arrivals
    Departures. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭cold_filter

Hobbes wrote:
    I think publically threatening someone on boards with legal action is an automatic site ban (afair). Also he would have to prove actual loss based on the post, which incidently you should of just reported to boards and they would of nuked it sooner.

In relation to the post, tbh the Taxi driver sounded ok if a bit sarcastic. The price sounds correct for the journey. As long as you got a printed receipt you should be fine and if any issues take it up with the carriage office.

Not even in the realm of some of the horror stories I or my friends have had with airport taxis.

As for local journeys I normally just go upstairs to arrivals and pick up a taxi thats dropping off. Less chance of a driver moaning about how your ripping them off by only wanting to go 5-10 mins down the road.
    Jesus thats brilliant!!!
    A few years back i went to LA, being young i didnt realise the hotel was 5 minytes up the road when i got in and told him where i was going he hit the f*cking roof and nearly put his fist through it, he cursed at me in spanish and said he'd waited 3 hours to pick up a fare, and my fare was $4

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Departures. ;)

Doh! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

A little pointless changing the thread title when the search page retains the original
    Doh !!

Avoid taxi no. xxxxx Jap import people carrier

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

genfoley wrote:
    we insisted we were directed to him
    genfoley wrote:
    he was very ignorant and ungrateful

You insisted that you got him and then you didn't tip him. I wouldn't be grateful either. At least if I make a point of choosing my taxi because I've got piles of bags I give a tip.

Advertisement