Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oblivion 360 to get PS3 graphical update

Options
  • 04-02-2007 5:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭

A great preview of Shivering Isle in its own right, but towards the end when Garnett is talking about the PS3's graphical upgrade he mentions that some were so easy to implement that the 360 version will get them in a download.

The argument is that the team has learned how to do things better since Oblivion was released and the PS3 version gives them an excuse to try out some new ideas.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

well i have a 360 and never got oblivion. not an rpg fan, but i'm thinking maybe the ps3 version is worth a purchase. is it actually worthwhile to someone who thought final fantasy7 was absolute horse manure?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

probably not, otherwise you probably would have bought it on the 360.

So is the ps3 version gonna look that much better than the 360?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Interesting preview alright. Looking foward to this. Only got Oblivion at Christmas and have put in alot of playtime so far, so a full expansion pack is a tempting prospect. The new world looks great.

And for he who asked, yes it is worth getting. Not really like FF7. They share a basic core RPG package (which is unfortunately a stat-heavy one) but this is one of my favourites to date, as there is much more variety than your average random battler.

Oh, and hopefully the 360 fix will solve the poor draw distance and pop up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

well i have a 360 and never got oblivion. not an rpg fan, but i'm thinking maybe the ps3 version is worth a purchase. is it actually worthwhile to someone who thought final fantasy7 was absolute horse manure?

I hate japanese rpgs with a passion, inparticular the FF series but loved oblivion so would never compare it to them. But... i didnt get oblivion for the 360 either, got it for the PC with all its mod goodness.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

is it actually worthwhile to someone who thought final fantasy7 was absolute horse manure?
    Ri_Nollaig wrote:
    I hate japanese rpgs with a passion, inparticular the FF series but loved oblivion so would never compare it to them. But... i didnt get oblivion for the 360 either, got it for the PC with all its mod goodness.

Ahhh, it hurts my eyes!!!

I wonder if the graphical update for the 360/PS3 will be as good as the free update with mods that the pc community can get. Some of the mods make the game look far far better, especially in relation to the draw distance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

is it actually worthwhile to someone who thought final fantasy7 was absolute horse manure?

get it for the PC if at all possible, much much better experience. More clothing, weapons, guilds, character classes, better radiant AI etc etc

Don't get me wrong its great on the 360 its just greater on the PC

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

Vegeta wrote:
    get it for the PC if at all possible, much much better experience. More clothing, weapons, guilds, character classes, better radiant AI etc etc

Don't get me wrong its great on the 360 its just greater on the PC

are you saying the official Pc game has more stuff , or with unofficial mods and add ons ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Aaron M

Having purchased the game for the PC, I would recommend avoiding it. The game is surprisingly shallow and repetitive when you get down to the meat of it, full of endless dungeons that are nothing more than random variations of the same themes, built using the exact same art assets (seriously, they all look identical, no variety). Most importantly, however, I just didn't find the game much fun to play - it felt like a chore most of the time. Not a good sign, it goes without saying. It's a pity, because the developers obviously put a lot of effort into creating this huge, expansive world, but in the end, there's not actually much in it to hold your interest. The previous version (Morrowind), was a more interesting game, but even then it was arguably more style over any real substance. I don't mean to bash on anyone's opinion of the game, that's just my 2 cents after having played it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,123 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Never seen the pc version but the 360 version could sure use an upgrade. The draw distance is atrocious at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

just cause it has rpg elemnts doesnt mean its like final fantasy. its an adventure game all around and amazing too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭crybaby

hate rpgs myself and would defintley recommend oblivion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭FranchisePlayer

Shivering isle reminds me of the morrowind expansion pack tribunal.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

vasch_ro wrote:
    are you saying the official Pc game has more stuff , or with unofficial mods and add ons ?

unofficial mods really but it loks better on a decent PC, no surprise there really

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Well, I most certainly ain't an RPG fan but I enjoy. I say 'enjoy' it cos I still haven't finished it. I played it full out for two weeks but my gf got seriously close to killing me. So now I play it the odd weekend for 3/4 hours.

It looks gorgeous most of the time but yeah, the pop up and draw distance can be muck at times.

"As a result, the game runs a lot faster than the 360 build. Entering dungeons or buildings results in a load of 3-5 seconds, compared to the 7-10 seconds or longer for the 360 version of the game."

Now THAT sounds good.
    http://ps3.ign.com/articles/762/762108p1.html

Advertisement