Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newstalks 30c Texts

• 04-02-2007 5:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭

Newstalks 30c Texts are crazy.

Presenters constantly reminding listeners on text costs is counter productive.

Messing up the flow of conversation in reminding listeners of a 30c charge is mad.

However the radio station is doing a very good job with sport and current affairs.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 624 ✭✭✭jimogr

To be in compliance with the rules regarding premium texts/calls they have to say the price every time they call out the number

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭yamo

interestingly, despite the fact that they mention the 30c charge reasonably frequently, it is by no means used every time they mention the number. I'm actually surprised that no-one has complained about this yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Don't worry ,I'm sure ComReg have it under attention.

Shows how thick some people are though,to keep spending 30c for something that should cost 5c at most.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

now that RTE have gone to their 51551 number or whatever are they charging 30c a text aswell or is it just Newstalk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 624 ✭✭✭jimogr

Short codes starting with 51 are charged up to 16c:

50000 - 50499 Free
    51000 - 51899 Up to 16c
    53000 - 53899 Up to 80c
    57000 - 57899 Over 80c
    59000 - 59899 Flexi

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭superdudeman007

i) Nobody said you had to text them.
    ii) Nobody said you had to listen to NewsTalk.

At least you don't have to put up with Marty Whelan and the sports news guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

now that RTE have gone to their 51551 number or whatever are they charging 30c a text aswell or is it just Newstalk.
    They said it costs the same costs as a standard text. I wonder does this mean it comes out of your text bundle or do you get charged for it. Much better value than Newstalk though, 30c is a rip-off, they are taking the píss. They have gone downhill since going national and the only show I listen to now is George Hook. I'm back to Morning Ireland every morning, I miss Dunphy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

They said it costs the same costs as a standard text. I wonder does this mean it comes out of your text bundle or do you get charged for it?

You get charged for it but it's only 10 cent. Better than 30 cent. I think Michael O Leary needs to pay a visit to newstalk!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,447 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

newstalk must be a making a handy profit from the texts because they really encourage people to text in...even on dumb irrelevant topics like, do you think it's nice and sunny out today? well text us and let us know! nonsense!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Why are RTE not made quote the price each time they read out their 5**** number?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

You can also email them (for free)
    or phone them at local rate.

If micheal o'leary paid them a visit you'd have to pay extra if there was more than one person in the room while they were on, or if your radio weighs more than 3KG.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I notice Today FM now also have a 51xxx number too (at least on the Matt Cooper show), and again, he says it's the price of a standard message.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭runswithascript

yamo wrote:
    interestingly, despite the fact that they mention the 30c charge reasonably frequently, it is by no means used every time they mention the number. I'm actually surprised that no-one has complained about this yet.

Get off their backs, it's the best radio station in the country. Obviously it's not annoyed you enough to stop listening or you wouldn't even be aware of this situation and if you have kept listening then whatever are you doing that for if you have such a problem with it?
    i) Nobody said you had to text them.
    ii) Nobody said you had to listen to NewsTalk.

Here here!

Of course they're making a profit, do you think they're providing this service to their listeners for altogether altruistic reasons? They're a business, it's what businesses do - again if you don't like it don't text and don't listen, whatever it takes to stop you moaning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Bond-007 wrote:
    Why are RTE not made quote the price each time they read out their 5**** number?

Because it's the same price as a standard text i.e. no premium and it's not included as a part of your bundle or web texts.

I have to say Orla Barry gets on my wick, all she talks about is periods and PMS and tampons etc...

Also I don't like when they discuss soap operas, I don't know why they would think the majority of people who listen to a news and current affairs radio station would be interested...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Marty DiBergi

dusf wrote:
    I have to say Orla Barry gets on my wick, all she talks about is periods and PMS and tampons etc...

Also I don't like when they discuss soap operas, I don't know why they would think the majority of people who listen to a news and current affairs radio station would be interested...

I am thinking of getting a few euro together to buy Orla an apartment or small house. She seems desperate to get her little middle aged feet on the property ladder. Never misses a chance to let the listeners know about her shared rented house. Also she has the voice and demeanor of a much older woman-like the aunt we all have that likes funerals and Marietta biscuits. Now that I think about it I'm definitely attracted to her. And yeah the soap opera stuff is unforgivable on any radio station. In fact it's unforgivable on TV.

What was Dunphy sacked for anyway? I know he tried to run some campaign against Newstalk's 30c texting charge when he was still employed by them...

Also I love listening to their sports show in the evenings. I'm not even very much into sports but the lads who present are gas demeaning the likes of Jose Marino, so much so in fact I find my self drawn to sports and am starting to consider getting Sky or something in.

Advertisement