Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you motivate yourself to study?

Options
  • 04-02-2007 6:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭

Im not talking about the week before (thats motivation enough) but on a day to day thing its really hard to get stuck in :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭stepperupper

KRATOM - legal drug that get you high but also makes you want to work/study.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

I just remind myself that I don't want to become one of those annoying dumbasses that complains that it's "sooooooooooo hard to study!!", I head up to my room and start.

In fairness I often procrastinate, but at the end of the day it's not actually hard to study, we're just a generation that expects everything to be done for us and doesn't really make much of an effort with anything.

If I ever feel I don't want to study, yet I know I really need to I simply say to myself, "stop feeling sorry for yourself, asshole".

And it works :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Haven't a Clue

I look out the window and see the barren countryside. If that ain't determination to study, I don't know what is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

The points I have to get...wanting to somersault on opening of the results instead of crying in a heap...the celebrations and fantasticness once it's all over, the possibility of getting into the course of my dreams...and wanting to beat a certain person in my year. (Petty I know..)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,388 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Well, ya said not on a "week before " kinda way, but for me its like that despite it being 4 months away now. Sure it has to be done something, ya cant hide from everything, so you might aswell get a good score that you can be proud of...and with more work, the better the result.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

Stapling either side of a book to your hands works good. Make sure you don't use those crappy office ones though. Needs to be industrial grade.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭sexpot

To do well is motivation enough. but nowadays study is a routine that doesn't involve motivation. Just do it!

KRATOM - legal drug that get you high but also makes you want to work/study.
    I can't see how a drug which reslembles an opiate high would make you more inclined to study...

I mean Ritalin or Adderall or something Amphetamine like would make you study, but Kratom seems like an odd one...

Anyway, I'm going with no more drugs apart from moderate alcohol consumption at parties until after the LC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Chillwithcian

sexpot wrote:
    To do well is motivation enough. but nowadays study is a routine that doesn't involve motivation. Just do it!

Yep, sigh.. if only we lived in a world of continuas assesment!:rolleyes: I can dream though...

Yep, sigh.. if only we lived in a world of continuas assesment!:rolleyes: I can dream though...
    Continuous assessment would mean so much more stress, a very important exam every month? ugh....

I have continuous assessment(ie. a report every month) in my school, and my grades go from 50%s to 90%s depending on my level of motivation at that time. If they counted towards the LC I'd have to work so much more.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

I study when I'm bored, I guess. Or when I have a test coming up that I don't want to fail. If I do too well in the ol' LC, I might get accepted to Trinity, and then I've no escape! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭Spank

Im not talking about the week before (thats motivation enough) but on a day to day thing its really hard to get stuck in :(
    Week before? Try day before :( Going inot Irish Paper 1 tomorrow totally clueless, just starting to wade through my essay notes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭justbringit89

Spank wrote:
    Week before? Try day before :( Going inot Irish Paper 1 tomorrow totally clueless, just starting to wade through my essay notes.

i'm on the same boat:L:L but yet we are still talkin ****e on boards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Chillwithcian

Spank wrote:

Best of luck, u will need it ! i find irish very difficult, but enjoyable all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Well I...don't.

I have given up on trying to motivate myself so my parents make me go to supervised study for hours everyday where the teachers keep an eye on you all the time to make sure you are doing something.
    Most of the time I am thinking about when I can get out of the place. And it's really cold so it's impossible to study!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

For every hour I don't study I make myself drink 10cm cubed of green paint. :)

Not really, I normally can get motivation when I want. Only lasts around two weeks though! Then my concentration wanders. I can never study before exams either :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Haven't a Clue

Supervised studying's the business. Two hours, twice a week when I find studying no problem at all. Though I'm struggling to motivate myself for maths this weather. One look at the book and I go into a depression..

Advertisement