Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dell XPS M1710 - Reliability, Issues?

• 04-02-2007 6:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Ok so I am thinking of ordering an XPS M1710 soon, I have a Sony VGN A517M which gave me alot of problems in the 1 year that I had it! Mostly it was loose connection problems.

I would like to know how reliable is the XPS? Any known common faults?
    For those that have this laptop how long have you had it for? What were the faults if any, how long does dell take to fix it? And do you need to depend on the warranty of this? Is the standard warranty enough of is an upgrade required?

I think thats all for the moment, but feel free to let me know anything related to this Laptop.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

I probably can't really comment as I have only had it since a couple of weeks before Christmas, but in that short space of time I have had no problems whatsoever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I did a lot of reading on the Dell support forums before I bought one and the main issue seem to be patchy quality of the screens. Lots of comments of people sending them back to get the screens swapped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84 ✭✭Straight Flush

I've had an XPS M1710 since August and it's given me no trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Hard Larry

I've had one since August too

Only one tiny minor complaint is that I don't like the keyboard, the keys sometimes dont respond and you kind of need to push that bit harder when typing.

And i'd say go for the optical mouse option too as the touchpads position ain't great for gaming.

No technical complaints and overall i'm very happy with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

If you are gonna use it alot, I would suggest buying a seperate keyboard. The paint on the palm rests is prone to wear away on them (happened to me). With regard to the screen, read notebookforums.com for advise on tweaking the contract, gamma and brightness. This goes some way in removing the grainyness and improves things in general.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

If you are gonna use it alot, I would suggest buying a seperate keyboard. The paint on the palm rests is prone to wear away on them (happened to me). With regard to the screen, read notebookforums.com for advise on tweaking the contract, gamma and brightness. This goes some way in removing the grainyness and improves things in general.

An expensive laptop shouldn't have problem with screen quality, and require workarounds/fudges to make it acceptable rather than excellent. IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

got one of these babys since july last. apart from a dead pixel which dell replaced the whole screen very promptly its very relaible, never once crashed.
    the paint is prone to marking and blemishing around the mouse area. but apart from that its a great laptop. and its robust as hell.
    another thing is the brushed aluminium lid, its very very easily scratched, mine got loads of marks, only visible against a light but still. i would have left the protective cover on the lid if i knew this.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I've just ordered myself one of these laptops to replace my ageing Fujitsu. Wasn't quite sure which model of Dell to go for, but once I saw that you also got flashy leds on the lid and in the air vents I figured I "needed" one of these. Hope the delivery doesn't take too long though now.

Advertisement