Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap rc plane

Options
  • 04-02-2007 9:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭

Hi,
    Ok I'm looking into getting a cheap rc plane to fly around the park.I dont want something really small and it would have to be durable because I'll crash it alot no doubt ;) .
    I'd be willing to pay up to about 80 but the cheaper the better.

Thanks.

This and this are ones i was looking at.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Could you stretch to the Multiplex Easystar? the ARF versions are not much more than you are looking at.
    The Easystar has a fairly big following primarily due to its crash resistant construction and prop position.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

Any links to the Easystar CJ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭Hypnotoad

Any links to the Easystar CJ?

here and here are some.

Thanks CJ,does look a bit expensive though.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Hypnotoad wrote:
    .... I'll crash it a lot no doubt ;) ...

Why would you do that? Learner automobile drivers don't "crash a lot" neither do real pilots. If we do it right we have a bash or two it's true, a few hard landings, but we don't "crash a lot". :D
    I assume you are talking about a situation where a learner has no teacher, and is also trying with a model that is marginal in it's flying qualities.
    But that is not a good way to go about learning to fly model planes.
    Hypnotoad wrote:
    .... the cheaper the better....

Remember the cheaper they are the less you get.
    For example the cheapest bicycle would be a unicycle with one wheel ... much harder to ride than a tricycle with an extra wheel ! ;) Model planes are like that - in the beginning, a beginner needs a plane that almost flies itself ....

Since you live in Tallaght why don't you get in touch with the model flying club there. They would give advice and flying lessons.
    Do a google search for Dublin Kestrel Model Flying Club.
    I think there is also a link in the "General Thread" on this forum .

EDIT LATER:
    Here it is Dublin Kestrel model Flying Club. They have a model flying field at Brittas out past the Square. Both electric and glowfuel planes and helicopters are flown. If you are in the south of Dublin, especially in the Templeogue, Tallaght, Clondalkin, Old Bawn areas, you probably have a Kestrel club member or two living near to where you are. Their flying instructors teach members for free.
    I used to be on the committee for a couple of years but now I just go to fly there.

• Advertisement

coolwings wrote:
    Why would you do that? Learner automobile drivers don't "crash a lot" neither do real pilots. If we do it right we have a bash or two it's true, a few hard landings, but we don't "crash a lot". :D
    I assume you are talking about a situation where a learner has no teacher, and is also trying with a model that is marginal in it's flying qualities.
    But that is not a good way to go about learning to fly model planes.

Remember the cheaper they are the less you get.
    For example the cheapest bicycle would be a unicycle with one wheel ... much harder to ride than a tricycle with an extra wheel ! ;) Model planes are like that - in the beginning, a beginner needs a plane that almost flies itself ....

Since you live in Tallaght why don't you get in touch with the model flying club there. They would give advice and flying lessons.
    Do a google search for Dublin Kestrel Model Flying Club.
    I think there is also a link in the "General Thread" on this forum .

EDIT LATER:
    Here it is Dublin Kestrel model Flying Club. They have a model flying field at Brittas out past the Square. Both electric and glowfuel planes and helicopters are flown. If you are in the south of Dublin, especially in the Templeogue, Tallaght, Clondalkin, Old Bawn areas, you probably have a Kestrel club member or two living near to where you are. Their flying instructors teach members for free.
    I used to be on the committee for a couple of years but now I just go to fly there.

Thanks!
    I'll probably go have a talk with some of the members.
    Anyway I'll probably save a while and get about 150 if I can and try and get one.

RTF easystar 190 dollars.Looks good,if they ship here,I'll probably get it but I'm gonna go to the model flying club first and see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

You can buy from the states but there are plenty of RTF Easystars in Germany, and there will be less problems with Frequencies, 35 Mhz should be available instead of 72 Mhz in the USA.
    I got mine from a guy on Ebay for 172 euro delivered with no customs duties worries.

No club will allow you use a radio on an illegal frequency because to do so would mean that the club members will not be covered by the insurance they have paid for.
    US origin 72RM aircraft frequencies are illegal in Ireland.
    German origin 40FM are also illegal here.
    Model aircraft clubs everywhere check radio frequencies every time they switch on so as to avoid frequency clash and beginners "shooting down" other members planes.

If you look at the downloads page of the Kestrel MFC website (or any other Irish model flying club website I expect) you will find a section on good practise, safety, and other sensible rules intended to make model flying go without problems.
    take a look there and you will see what the experienced guys consider is necessary, or desirable to make this enjoyable. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

what if you changed the 72mhz crystal name to 35mhz with a bit of artistic skills?:D

• Advertisement

Won't fool a scanner. The busy clubs use them esp for events where strangers visit!

Im not really sure then what I can get,would I be able to get the easystar but change the frequency so that its ok to use here?Or do I need to buy other equipment?

Why would you want to go to all that trouble?
    Did you read their code of practise?
    Have you contacted a club representative?
    Have you asked their advise yet?

You are asking all the wrong questions ... like what size plane I like, how do I bend the law on legal frequencies, and how do I buy stuff in America that is legal here, and how often will I crash?

You haven't asked
    who will teach me to fly without breaking it?
    or what size can fly in Irish weather?
    or what do the guys flying near where I live find to be suitable?
    or will I be insured if my plane lands on the roof of a BMW parked nearby?
    or where will I find a runway to takeoff from?
    or who will show me how to repair it when I give it a bash?

Here are some good reasons why aeromodellers have found it beneficial for their members to be in model flying clubs
    :-)

coolwings wrote:
    Why would you want to go to all that trouble?
    Did you read their code of practise?
    Have you contacted a club representative?
    Have you asked their advise yet?

You are asking all the wrong questions ... like what size plane I like, how do I bend the law on legal frequencies, and how do I buy stuff in America that is legal here, and how often will I crash?

You haven't asked
    who will teach me to fly without breaking it?
    or what size can fly in Irish weather?
    or what do the guys flying near where I live find to be suitable?
    or will I be insured if my plane lands on the roof of a BMW parked nearby?
    or where will I find a runway to takeoff from?
    or who will show me how to repair it when I give it a bash?

Here are some good reasons why aeromodellers have found it beneficial for their members to be in model flying clubs
    :-)

Well I've told you that I won't be calling them till about friday.
    That one seems cool and seems to be mentioned on a lot of sites so I was going to try it out,after a lot of searching I couldnt find anywhere that sells it here so was wondering if its possible to change the transmitter thingy to make it the right frequency.
    But thanks anyway,I'll just wait till the weekend :)

Well the clubs tend to be a reasonable souce of unbiased information and that's why I mentioned it.
    Boards.ie also has info you may have missed...
    The General Guide Thread in this forum would have lots more information on where they are sold and used in ireland.

Advertisement