Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

pci-e problem

• 04-02-2007 9:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭

I have a computer with a pci-e slot. Only problem is that it has xpress 200 chipset so the heatsink for the chip is right beside the slot, which means any half decent card with 4 mounting holes on the back won't fit because of the stupid heatsink being in the way of the screws on the back of the card.

any recommendations on a card that'll fit or how to get around this...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

could you change the heatsink? Would be a better solution than another card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

It looks like this:

70850.jpg

A different heatsink won't work as when the cards inserted, the mounting hole screws are pretty low down anyway....so it's not the height, just the position!

It means that card like this:

back.jpg

Won't fit as the heavy back screws hit off the heatsink...Something like this (7300gs) should fit fine, due to the small mounting holes etc, but hardly desirable performance....

back.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

I don't know off hand any cards that have no backplates. If you want to have one I see three options.

Alter The chipset heatsink in some manner.
    Find a way to cool the GFX card with out a major (or slim) element on the back
    Or see if there is some sort of PCIe Riser that can alter the position of the GFX card (similar to those ones that used to rotate them through 90 degrees except with a simple height increase

So far, it looks like an X300SE, 7100GS, 7300GS, those sort of low end cards with just the plastic clips holding the fan/heatsink in place would work fine but the performance would be crap.

I used to have an old x800se that I think had those plastic clips, but I sold it ages ago....problem is, I cannot buy online, only locally....so the type of card I now obviously need is tricky to find.

I was just going to unscrew one of the back screws off my x1600, 3 would still be enough to hold the cooling on, but those bastards wouldn't budge for the world...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭hopeful

You can remove the heatsink from the mainboard and carefully file away just enough metal so the clip on the back of the graphics card will fit...shouldn't affect the cooling in any meaningful way...in fact will probably be better as when you refit the heatsink no doubt you will use a better TIM than the manufacturer :)

• Advertisement

I had considered using a small pilers to cut away part of the heatsink to accomodate the card but I really shouldn't have to do it in the first place just to install a card, it's super annoying....anyway, thanks for the advice. :)

In hindsight maybe i don't even need the X1600pro anyway, this is only a secondary computer, and I won't be gaming that much on it, so I might just return it and get a cheaper basic pci-e card like the 7300gs with the plastic clips...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Get the Zalman chipset cooler and hack off some of the fins that's what I did for my Epox nForce 4 board as the low profile cooler died so I couldn't replace it with an off the shelf item as it would block the GPU so it cut away the fins using a hack saw that were in the way and it works perfectly.

The cooler is also maneuverable with a bit of thermal paste so you can easily nudge it out of the way of the GPU cooler once attached.

I think I'll get a 7300GS tomorrow, but if in future I need to replace it, I guess I'll have to take tools to it...thanks again all.

Advertisement