Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BA Journalism Course - DCU

Options
  • 04-02-2007 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭

Hi,

Have applied as a mature student to the BA Journalism course in DCU, has any of you guys got any info on it ie. has anyone done it or is anybody currently studying it at this point in time. Nothing specific, just your thoughts on the course such as areas of difficulty you might have encountered, any pitfalls along the way or your general opinion as a whole regarding both course and college which you deem helpful. Any info concerning the Journalism courses offered in DBS or Griffith College would be of interest also.

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Awful Scut

Did it about six years ago at this stage, so I'd imagine a few things have changed. However, I would have to say that as courses go, it was jam-packed with modules apparently designed to create jobs for the boys.

I'm talking about ridiculous, pretentious rubbish, such as Cultural and Historical Perspectives and Interpreting Art. The sort of common sense guff that should be as obvious as the nose on your face to anyone with the slightest intention of entering journalism.

The most useful parts of the course I found were a) the touch-type module and b) the placement. The radio newsdays weren't too bad, but not really a substitute for the real thing and wouldn't be viewed as such by any editor.

Hate to say it, but you might have saved yourself a few years had you applied for the Masters.

P.S. Should you be advised by a tutor that a particular book is absolutely vital for such-and-such module, hang on and see if it is actually used before putting your hand in your pocket. Especially if said tutor is the author of said book.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I've done a fair bit of research into journalism courses and I agree with Awful Scut that a masters/postgraduate degree is a better route into journalism. Study something else first, perhaps related to the field of journalism you want to go into, it would give you a lot more choice in the long run.

Advertisement