Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow in 94/95?

Options
  • 04-02-2007 9:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭

When was the last time we actually had roads some decent wintry snow in Dublin. I remember the snow in 87 - but wasnt there some fairly decent snowfall around 94 or 95?

I seem to recall several things about this:

Seeing a big red Coca Cola Dublin Bus appearing out of the Blizzard as we pelted it with snowballs... (with rocks in them!!) =D

Holding onto the back of a coal truck and sliding along the icey roads... some people doing it on there bellies... so there must have been a fairly sizable amount of snow/ice.

Running over to someone in bright orange rain gear who I thought was a friend from scouts only to find out it was a girl from my class that I really fancied... CRINGE!!

Anyone able to corroborate on the year? Was this the last severe snow we got? Although it does pale in comparison to 82/87...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

In the 90s especially i think you might be referring to 1991.That had 3 snow events that year.JAN 4th.FEB 7th and 9th.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

There was a snow event in or around the '95 period, its the last 'decent' snowfall I seen, probably didnt compare to the snowfalls of 82/87, but it was good enough for me :D, see my pics in the 'weather photos' thread, there are some pics in it from that particular event.

EDIT: here are the pics, about halfway down the page, my little bro was born in '92, so this was about '95
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=110452&page=6

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

The snow I'm thinking of was definetly after 93 so those pictures you have of 95 may be the event I'm thinking of... and certainly the last decent snowman making opportunity I can recall.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Dec 21st 1995 to Jan 12th 1996

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

February 8th 2007 saw quite a cold spell too.. It came kinda outta the blue too.. There has been much debate on whether it would be cold enough..

Anyway late on the 7th i look at my thermometer and the temperatures was a nice -2c.. So i went to bed hopefully that the low that was expected to push north would fall as snow.

I would up at 5am and i couldnt see out the window, i ran down stairs there was a blizzard.. Already 3 inches on the ground..

It snowed and snowed all that morning..By 8am there was 6 inches of level snow with drifts reaching upto 1 foot. I was meant to be having my English and Maths mocks that day but after sledging up to the hall, the heating had went and they were cancelled.

It got really bad during the day, around 1pm the winds really whipped up and the snow got so heavy.. there was almost 1 foot of level snow and i remember vividly diving cars sliding down the hill and crashing into each other.

I went home and the electricity went, there was chaos in Dublin.. My family finally made it home that night...

It was some event.............

Oh wait:eek: :D

• Advertisement

Talis142 wrote:
    The snow I'm thinking of was definetly after 93 so those pictures you have of 95 may be the event I'm thinking of... and certainly the last decent snowman making opportunity I can recall.

In Dublin,i dont recall an event in Dublin around mid 90s.These seem to stick in my mind but this i dont recall at all.
    Danno and Croppy are not from Dublin and can have an entirely different weather event to here.

EDIt:I do remember snow falling and sticking on my way home from work in Swords on my motorbike in Jan 96 but nothing too significant to be noted.
    Alot of head scratching going on here with this one.

WC anything to get outa studying.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Snowbie wrote:
    WC anything to get outa studying.:D
    I'm practicing writing my English paper 1 essay:o :D

Im definately going to have to do that thats on Tuesday:eek: :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Jaysus WC you are in 'Ramp Mode+' X2, haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Danno wrote:
    Dec 21st 1995 to Jan 12th 1996

There was definitely a good fall at this time in Donegal. I remember it well as a mate of mine broke his leg while messing about in it with a few others. I had such sympathy for him, especially when after having spent most of '95 training hard, he put on a lot of weight and needed another year to get it off. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25 tom1975

The last major 90s snow event I remember was in Tralee (where I lived then) just after New Years Day, 1997. It started raining with snow forecast and after a few hours it turned to heavy snow and stayed snowing all day. Woke up to 4 inches the next morning and our outside temp dial said minus 8. I remember that days' weather forecast mentioned that Valentia recorded its record low January temp that morning of minus 7. The snow stayed on the ground for about 6 days. Apart from the snow event in Dublin in Feb/Mar 2001, there hasn't really been any! (although the brief White Christmas in Tralee in 2004 was great!!). Can anyone remember that period in Jan 97 and whether other areas enjoyed heavy snow during that event?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 tom1975

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

tom1975 wrote:
    The last major 90s snow event I remember was in Tralee (where I lived then) just after New Years Day, 1997. It started raining with snow forecast and after a few hours it turned to heavy snow and stayed snowing all day. Woke up to 4 inches the next morning and our outside temp dial said minus 8. I remember that days' weather forecast mentioned that Valentia recorded its record low January temp that morning of minus 7. The snow stayed on the ground for about 6 days. Apart from the snow event in Dublin in Feb/Mar 2001, there hasn't really been any! (although the brief White Christmas in Tralee in 2004 was great!!). Can anyone remember that period in Jan 97 and whether other areas enjoyed heavy snow during that event?

I remember that being on the RTE news, basically a cold pool on the western flank of a low pressure system passed across munster, Kerry got snow with the rest of us getting sleet and rain, It got me interested in weather patterns as I was baffeled why you guys got snow on the coast and we got rain well inland... :P

Advertisement